Books - Top ten bushy books?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nedkelly

Mar 20, 2014
jhbasvdmnxm
Hey everyone,
I know this has been done to death, but after loads of searches I have found posts of dribs n drabs or huuuuge lists with far too many.

So here goes, what are the basic 10 books to build a foundation in bushcraft?

I am also rather confused by the many similar books printed by RM.

I'm thinking : survival/bushcraft - trees/plants/foraging - animals/tracking/hunting

what ya reckon?

Harnser

Aug 10, 2010
North Norfolk
I seem to find the most useful information is not found in any one book or just bushcraft books , but what is useful to me may not be to someone else. so there is a degree of personal preference in any book. I tend to look at what interests me and find this delivers the answers or another path of enquiry. Can anyone define bushcraft? In a few books?. I see it more as a personal accumulation of knowledge,experience,and a fair amount of failure. before you know it you end up with your own collection of books which fit your sphere of bushcraft.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Yip not a bushy book my recommendation but a perfect thing to be in your pocket or pack at anytime you are in nature

Collins gem - Food for free, for less than a 5er it's priceless

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
The Collins version has the illustrations combined with good photo's, mine is the 2012 printing also by Richard Mabey

Idleknight

Forager
Aug 14, 2013
United Kingdom, Near Hinckley
Its sometimes finding the right author, its not always about who is best, but sometimes which writing style suits you. I really enjoyed the Cody Lundin books, I find if you enjoy reading it, the information is more likely to stick.

On the subject of book lists, has anyone ever thought that as a community we could put together a list on amazon?
I keep seeing list mania lists on various subjects for amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/richpub/listmania/byauthor/A1M291G13GW58F

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Not what everyone would include, and not a single book but a series but if you like the making and improvising aspect of " this " ( after 30 years of what ever it is we do I still can't define even my bit ) but Ron Edwards Bushcraft books have given me the ,most pleasure and satisfaction over the years.

http://ramsskullpress.com/products-page/bushcrafts/

if you win the pools the complete set is available. I picked mine up in dribs and drabs and think I may still be missing the one just on leather plaiting as it wasn't something that appealed.

atb

tom

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I paid £3.99 inc delivery, was either Amazon or Ebay

Feb 27, 2008
Cambridge
Lofty Wiseman - SAS Survival.
Trapping, navigation, shelter, tracking. It pretty much has everything albeit, touching lightly on the subject. But if I was on a desert island that would be at the top of the list.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE