Bodges Staffordshire Oatcake Tutorial (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Although I’m sure they are nothing like the real thing, I love the ones you get in the shops up here purporting to be Staffordshire Oatcake – they’re like the tastiest face flannel you’ve ever eaten!

I’ll be giving this a go, many thanks for all the effort.

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
Bodge,

those oatcakes at the midlands meet were fantastic, especially with the bacon and cheese in.

i intend to try your recipe very soon.

many thanks for posting it mate.

Bodge,

those oatcakes at the midlands meet were fantastic, especially with the bacon and cheese in.

i intend to try your recipe very soon.

many thanks for posting it mate.

I've made a batch of 18 today for lunch and the freezer (if they last long enough)
I've left a few for breakfast for the kids as they were complaining about missing them whilst at school.

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
It's my daughter's turn to cook this evening (both the kids have to cook one evening a week) and this is her chosen recipe. She's going to put the mix on to brew as soon as she gets back from school then cook them when I get back from work. She's a dab hand with pancakes, so I imagine they'll come out well - I'll try and get you some pix.
Nicola

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
The only oats I've been able to find are porridge oats so I've bought a cheap food wizzer to refine them. I'll get onto making some soon.

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
Wow, thank you very much bodge, I've been looking around for a decent recipe ever since you kindly gave me a baconcheese one at the Midlands meet.
The ones in the supermarket are just awful. I'll try this recipe really soon methinks :)

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
JoJo's busy in the kitchen and pleased with the initial results ...
IMG_0914.jpg

(She's going through an experimental phase with her hair :rolleyes: )
Nicola

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
Wooohoo!
Ive always wondered how to make the beuties. I have to confess i didnt realise they were done with yeast. Me a born and bred stokie too!
Cheers for this will definately try it out!

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
Having long since converted my non-Stokie girlfriend over to the worship of Ye Humble Oatcake I passed this thread over to her and made her day :) Nice job, Bodge.

stooboy

Settler
Apr 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland
Thanks for the tutorial Bodge,

Me and my niece made some today although she decided to play with the camera instead.

3525808615_3ba66145a3.jpg

Made half plain and half with grated cheese mixed in worked a treat.
3525810415_cc6f3b86b4.jpg

managed to get a photo of some as they where disappearing fast once the rest of the family turned up
3525812217_cd1f689bf0.jpg

Thanks
Stoo.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Hi, would it be possible to replace the yeast with baking powder like you use for bannock so you could cook immediately instead of waiting for yeast to work, or would this be unsuitable.

Dirk Diggler

Jan 19, 2009
Stockport
Cool,This takes me back to my childhood staying at my uncles in Longton, we always had oatcakes with breakfast.
I've not had them for probably 25 years :(
I'm gonna have to make me some now, cheers for the tutorial.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
We have them as a special breakfast as often as possible.
Bacon and cheese rule, the whole family love them, and ive converted all visitors to the house!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE