Blood types - a question for our Doctors & Medics

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Hello all.

A question about blood types.

My blood type is...

O Rh(D) Negative

I am curious about the (D) in that text, am I correct in understanding that this refers to the antigens in my blood and that the Negative/Positive part of the type is something specifically tied to the D antigen?

So if someone was O Rh(C) then they wouldn't have a negative or positive part listed in their blood type?

Just curious.

:)

Last edited:

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
The D does indeed refer to the D antigen, ABO typing and rh D are the most important while determining suitability for blood transfusions etc, it can also be useful in asessing the risk of certain autoimmune disorders for pregnancy. The other important antigens C c E e are not commonly used to describe your blood group. Although when you're typed they will take a full spectrum of it. To a degree they only worry about ABO and D being present or absent.
Probably already know this but being O- you have a very useful blood group so you should go feed the vampires as often as possible.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Just asking a more random question ( so apologies for the slight hijacking ) , Do any diseases exist that the affect is different/severe/less severe or attack certain to Blood types?

( B neg myself )

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Just asking a more random question ( so apologies for the slight hijacking ) , Do any diseases exist that the affect is different/severe/less severe or attack certain to Blood types?

( B neg myself )

That's a relatively new field of study, but there's evidence to show that certain types give you resistance and indeed susceptibility 6to certain diseases. For example people with O types of blood are less susceptible to heart disease and certain kinds of cancer, AB and B are at a slightly elevated risk. But on the flip side O are at a higher risk of developing things like ulcers. The degree of risk is an area of conjecture but it is an observable phenomenon.
B- is quite rare, again, I urge you to donate as much as possible.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
The D does indeed refer to the D antigen, ABO typing and rh D are the most important while determining suitability for blood transfusions etc, it can also be useful in asessing the risk of certain autoimmune disorders for pregnancy. The other important antigens C c E e are not commonly used to describe your blood group. Although when you're typed they will take a full spectrum of it. To a degree they only worry about ABO and D being present or absent.
Probably already know this but being O- you have a very useful blood group so you should go feed the vampires as often as possible.

Thanks for that.

My blood would be useful were it not for me having spent my youth wandering far off places where disease or the inoculations against disease mark me out as someone who cannot donate blood. I'd be happy to give regularly otherwise.

I was working out the likely blood types of my kids via this site and it turns out that there is a remote chance that they may have B- which is fairly rare (1 in 62 people) so I may get them tested just so I know.

Thanks again.

:)

Last edited:

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I've not given blood for 2 years due to never being able to guarantee to make an appointment for a session. If you don't make an appointment for evening session you'll queue almost from opening of the session only to be told they've run out of time. Only place I can get to in time.

Anyway that's a digression. I'm o positive but in my letters from NBS they say my blood is good for 83% of the population. Is that possibly right? What can o positive go into? O neg goes into everyone IIRC but o positive only goes into people also rhesus positive, am I right with that? That would imply 83% are rhesus positive. Just curious as to what rhesus positive actually means.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I've not given blood for 2 years due to never being able to guarantee to make an appointment for a session. If you don't make an appointment for evening session you'll queue almost from opening of the session only to be told they've run out of time. Only place I can get to in time.

Anyway that's a digression. I'm o positive but in my letters from NBS they say my blood is good for 83% of the population. Is that possibly right? What can o positive go into? O neg goes into everyone IIRC but o positive only goes into people also rhesus positive, am I right with that? That would imply 83% are rhesus positive. Just curious as to what rhesus positive actually means.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
hi all i wanted to find out my blood group but the nhs want to charge me £10 any ideas how i can find it out for free ?

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
as much as i would like to I've had meningitus so my blood isn't a lot of good

There are home test kits available from Amazon and such, not free (£5.60) but not that expensive either, here is a youtube video showing the process.

[video=youtube;YbJn8e0BuKk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbJn8e0BuKk[/video]

Last edited:

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland

Can go into anything but a - and yeah + is that much more common
Not meaning A- that means any -

Last edited:

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
The letter said it might be common but it was a much needed blood type due to it being used for all other positive blood types. Did see a graph of how much of each blood type currently in stock and it was actually one of the lowest stock levels. So even if you have common blood type it's still very important to give if you're able to. I'm only on 25 donations but I've not been around or able to donate for various reasons or it would be a lot higher. Very important indeed. Even get yourself tested to see if you're suitable for platelet donation. Basically you can go to a donation suite in a hospital and they filter out the component they need, putting the rest back in. You can donate like this every 2 weeks I believe.

Sorry for preaching or going off topic but I've had family who've needed a lot of transfusions during routine surgery. Without blood in stock they'd have died. You seriously don't know if or when someone you know might need blood transfusions.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
The letter said it might be common but it was a much needed blood type due to it being used for all other positive blood types. Did see a graph of how much of each blood type currently in stock and it was actually one of the lowest stock levels. So even if you have common blood type it's still very important to give if you're able to. I'm only on 25 donations but I've not been around or able to donate for various reasons or it would be a lot higher. Very important indeed. Even get yourself tested to see if you're suitable for platelet donation. Basically you can go to a donation suite in a hospital and they filter out the component they need, putting the rest back in. You can donate like this every 2 weeks I believe.

Sorry for preaching or going off topic but I've had family who've needed a lot of transfusions during routine surgery. Without blood in stock they'd have died. You seriously don't know if or when someone you know might need blood transfusions.

Couldn't agree more. During parts of my training and work in hospitals it's astonishing how much blood is required in a day to day basis. And to me a ***** in the arm and 15 mins in a chair isn't a bad trade to potentially save a life. More so given it has very few effects losing 1 unit of blood. Many people are ruled out of donation but at the end of the day it's free to check. Better still as you say component donation like platelts or BM. My missus needed 2 units of blood before and if no one donated the outcome may not have been quite so cheery!

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Couldn't agree more. During parts of my training and work in hospitals it's astonishing how much blood is required in a day to day basis. And to me a ***** in the arm and 15 mins in a chair isn't a bad trade to potentially save a life. More so given it has very few effects losing 1 unit of blood. Many people are ruled out of donation but at the end of the day it's free to check. Better still as you say component donation like platelts or BM. My missus needed 2 units of blood before and if no one donated the outcome may not have been quite so cheery!

Again a tangent question, but an interesting topic.

Mick91 , do you know if there are any believed health benefits of giving blood for the donor? I've been reading a few articles of late and I wondered if I could get your opinion on it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE