Tutorial for a Scandi-sheath

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DKW

Forager
Oct 6, 2008
Denmark
My first try in a sort of tutorial. If you find that some bits are missing or ill explained just let me know. I will then try to do better

This design is a very basic scandi-styled sheath, relatively easy to work with, and very easily improved/modded or variated to any desire.

First off: materials choice!
I generally allways use halftanned leather, as this, with its untanned core suits my needs the best.
You can use any material you would like to use, this "tutorial" is based upon halftanned leather though.

Tools of the trade
DSC_8418.jpg

A sheath is supposed to fit 100% to the knife. This means you will have to measure and draw to begin with.
Start of with a folded piece of paper and make a small dot where the tip begins, and where you wish the sheath to stop. (Make it a little longer than you want. 2-3 mm or so)
Establish 5-8 places where you will make your measurements. A soft pencil will do on paper aswell as on the knife so you won't forget where to measure. (Generally everywhere where the knife has sudden changes.)
DSC_8421.jpg

For measuring use a simple piece of the leather you are going to use. This way you are sure that the measurements are correct.
The measurement you have taken will need to be halfed, and transferred from the fold of the paper inwards.
DSC_8422.jpg

After transfering all measurements, join them up with a soft touch.
You will need a bit extra for the stitches, so after joining the first dots up, make a new line following the first with approx 2-3 mm space on the handlepart and 5 mm on the blade part. It should look somewhat like this.
DSC_8424.jpg

(If you wish to make a more samistyled tip to the sheath, simply make the tip long on the drawing. It will then bow more or less correctly when finished. (will be seen on the leather, because i did do so in the end))

Transfer the mock-up to the leather
DSC_8425.jpg

Cut out the leather, with more angle to your knife, then what generally would be considered "normal"
DSC_8427.jpg

If its too hard to cut, put it in cold water for 20-30 minutes or so. But remember: wet leather is very easily damaged!!

There you go. Angle all way around
DSC_8428.jpg

By now the leather must be wet. Give it 20-30 minutes or so in cold water, and be gentle with the smooth side from now on. It won't take any damage or imprints very well from now on.
Mark out needleholes with a markingwheel or whatever you have, but be accurate. I would keep a distance of 2-3 mm to the edge.
Then take your awl, and start making holes in an angle. Remember this is halftanned. We want to go under the untanned part, but still stay within the angled surface.
DSC_8430.jpg

Shave down the blade-part of the leather. This could be done before making holes, but i am used to doing it afterwards. Habits don't die easily.
How much to be shaved off? Dont get it paperthin, but do not think that you can fold a piece of leather more than 1½-2 mm thick so that it looks good either. Leave more material at the handle end, and make the tip of the sheath thinner than the rest ( i generally do n shave the handle part of the sheath). Just do not shave the untanned core away, as this is the "backbone" of this sheathtype.
DSC_8432.jpg

Now for the stitching. I always use a saddlestitch. Meaning that you sew with 2 needles, and that you "cross" the thread, thus making a singleknot, in every hole.
DSC_8433.jpg

This is the "cross". Make sure you get the knot tied the same way around every time. Otherwise it will be noticable afterwards.
DSC_8438.jpg

As soon as you have done the entire sheath, you will have to lock the stitching. Easy: Just go backwards a few holes eg. 3-4
DSC_8441.jpg

Its stitched and hopefully still wet. If not, give it a few minutes in water again.

EDIT: Missing pics are now here accompanied by appropriate text.
Now is the time to mark out how the rim should look like with a blunt edged tool or a pencil.

Then you will wan’t to trim/shave the leather down in an angle of approx 45degrees (the surface made would then normally reach a full centimetre down inside the sheath), cutting from the inside and out. Do not make cuts into the coarse side of the leather, other than the plain smooth surface you leave from shaving it down, as this will make the leather somewhat fragile with a tendency to rip.

Try to get the rim as thin as possible, but leave as much of the untanned core to most of the shaved area, as this will stiffen it out when dry.
trimningafskederandcopy.jpg

Dangler/beltloop

You need to make a few holes for the beltloop/dangler in the sheath. 6 to be excact.
Placed on either side of the stitching. The holes are placed next to stitch number 4, 7 and 9, and are made big enough for the legs of the beltloop go through, but not too big. A “snug” fit is recommended. (this pic is borrowed)
Hulleriskede.jpg

The beltloop is done to fit into the holes in the sheath, and reaching deep down inside the sheath. Shave the legs of the loop down to a reasonable level, and cut the legs to form “needles” on the tips for ease of pushing them through the holes.
DSC_8448.jpg

(”blueprint” of the shape of a beltloop, see the drawing at the end of this tutorial)

Fit the dangler/beltloop onto the sheath.
A pair of flat pliers might be needed to pull the legs of the beltloop tight. It must be fed through the upper hole, out of the second hole, and into the third and last hole. If done correctly, nothing will loosen, and it will help keeping the knife in place aswell.
DSC_8449.jpg

It should end up look something like this.
DSC_8458.jpg

DSC_8459.jpg

It is now you can start pushing the hide around on the sheath, and with a bit of endurance and muscle, you’d be surprised how far you can move it.
Wrap the knife in vitawrap or anything that will keep the acids of the leather from the knife, and stick the knife into the sheath before you start tooling.
Pay extra attention to the folded rim, and the part right above the bolster or the thickest part of the handle, as this will require a bit of work to get right. If its done right, the knife should "klick" into the dry sheath. this "klick" is what we use to measure good craftsmanship on. If its not there, its probably poor work.
DSC_8447.jpg

Now all done, you only need to treat the leather with some high quality leatherwax, leathersoap or even varnish (although the halftanned leather does go very stiff, varnish will make it even stiffer)
Perhaps you have a favourite leathertreatment, if so, go for it, try it out.
DSC_8453.jpg

Finished result of my resheathing, wich took me all in all about 2½ hours of little intensive work
DSC_8455.jpg

DSC_8456.jpg

All I need now is for the leatherwax with colour in it to soak through, so I can polish it up to a medium glanze.

Blueprint for the leatherwork for a standard knife and a standard sheath of this type. Just for showing beltloop, do not think this is the knife in this tutorial
kopiark.jpg

That’s it. I hope I have not forgotten anything important, feel free to use this tutorial as you see fit, and if I have forgotten anything, please do fill the odds and ends out for me, or tell me about them so I can do it myself.

Happy working

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Just a small tip for anyone going to try this and don't have a space wheel, use a small fork (Just don't tell the wife, put it back when you have finnished) it will give you even spaced marks to make the holes for stitching, excellent tutorial too.

D:You_Rock_

DKW

Forager
Oct 6, 2008
Denmark
Just a small tip for anyone going to try this and don't have a space wheel, use a small fork (Just don't tell the wife, put it back when you have finnished) it will give you even spaced marks to make the holes for stitching, excellent tutorial too.

D:You_Rock_

Indeed a good idea. goes for forkidea as for the warning about the old lady.

Glad you like the tutorial. I do not take in any complaints about bad english though. :D

DKW

Forager
Oct 6, 2008
Denmark
DKW,

this is how I will be making my sheath!

Thankyou.:)

You're very welcome Barney. It was fun making this, and very educational for me.

So i take it you like the overall appearance of the design?
And that the tutorial generally is simple and easy to use? (as this was what i intended)

I can't wait to see the results, i bet it is going to suit the knife very well, and be a masterpiece coming from your hands. Get working :D

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
The design is very nice, a lot of attention to the detail which was new to me, the angle of the cutting, the skiving of the leather and then the rolled top edge!! Beautiful.

I like the knife as well, very good shape to it. A PERFECT MATCH.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Good Tutorial:You_Rock_

I use haltanned leather as it works best for thsi kind of sheath

Very similiar way to one I have used in the past

I now shave the top of the sheath to help it blend into the handle

I rub the sheath all over with a wooden and aplastic tool to get it to shine

I dye the leather with a leather and apply a waterproof finish the sheath already shines

I place the stitching at the side and use a broad belt loop d ring dangler

I also mould the front of the sheath using modelling clay on the blade to get it raised.;)

DKW

Forager
Oct 6, 2008
Denmark
Many ways to do things.

I dont stick things in the sheath to raise the sheath though.
I prefer to move the upperleather when wet. Gives the same results, but won't leave any gaps between the knife and sheath.

The top of the sheath is shaved in order to make the rolled over top to be flat. On this one i have pushed the upperleather up to make the bulge you see. (It was moved all the way from the bladepart and to the top, and thats a good 5 centimeters worth)

All this "modelling" of the sheath will automatically make the leather shine, on this particular sheath i have chosen to treat the leather afterwards with a silkmatte leathersoap straight after dyeing, applied with a brush, to make the colouring go "wavey" as seen on the handle of the knife. Somewhat succesfull. Might need an appliance more though.
Afterwards i will polish it up to make the colouring more contrastfull.

Just to explain on some of the thoughts you mentioned Brancho.

Thank you for your input, they absolutely do fill the gaps of this tutorial a bit further.

Glad you all like the tutorial sofar. Then it wasn't a total disaster afterall.

DKW

Forager
Oct 6, 2008
Denmark
I like the rolled top to the sheath especially and I will try it sometime.

Does take some fiddling and trial 'n' error to get that one right. Depending on the leather and how deep you want it rolled in, you might wan't to avoid shaving the inside too thin and too far down.

On this specific sheath i have the rim folded somewhat ½ a centimeter down into the sheath. The bulge is almost a full centimeter or so.

I'll try and see if i can find a pic showing how to trim the rim prior to rolling it into the sheath. (As i forgot to take pics of it myself:rolleyes: )

Feb 4, 2009
Scotland
Hey DKW

Great tutorial, am a complete novice with regards to leather working. Maybe after a few attempts I might get it right.

Any advice on leather? I know you mention Half-Tanned. Having looking on le Prevo's website it seemed to have a slightly confusing array of choices and not a mention of Half-tanned. Also any thoughts on thickness?

thanks

(First Post... Joyous.) :)

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Halftanned leather is not available in the UK as far as I know.

I use it for my Scandi style sheaths as it moulds well and stiffens up nicely. The leather is only tanned part way through on each side.
You can get Halftanned leather from Dennis at Brisa.fi and Kniv Per at the Goodstuffshop.dk

welcome to BCUK Saves on fuel

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE