Blast furnace.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
I remember reading many years ago (60s?), that Chinese rural regions were being encouraged to produce their own iron from locally available materials. This was because iron ore, limestone and charcoal/coal were often locally available and the cast iron produced was sufficient for many purposes without further refinement.

IIRC the furnace was simple and based on 40 gallon drum(s). I don't remember how it was blown.

Does anyone know the details of the Chinese furnace?

Jim

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
These are all just variations of what is called a Bloomery. If you do a web search for "bloomery" you will find a bunch of info.

Some people took advantage of a hillside bank to build their bloomery/chimney into - and get the air supply by natural hot-air currents and any local wind. Others used variations of a bellows to supply the air. Some even used falling water from a waterfall to create "compressed air" to supply it to the bloomery.

A book that might be of interest to you would be

IRON FOR THE EAGLES
The Iron Industry Of Roman Britain
by David Sim & Isabel Ridge
isbn 0-7524-1900-5

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
Darrell Markewitz of Wareham Forge has compiled a CD-ROM of his and his friends attempts at re-creating a Viking era iron smelt. "Iron Smelting in the Viking Age" with over 600 images including working plans. A web search will bring you to his web site.

Tons of info on low-tech iron production.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
T
Some people took advantage of a hillside bank to build their bloomery/chimney into - and get the air supply by natural hot-air currents and any local wind.

Ah yes. I remember near Grassington in Yorkshire there were long tunnels built up the hillside as chimneys for lead smelting.

Jim

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE