Blanket + Time = Bushshirt?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hootchi

Settler
Hello all. :wink:

Having been totally inspired by Mark's moccasins I was wondering if I could make a crude bushshirt, kinda like the swanndri ! :?:

I was thinking about using an army surplus blanket. Are they made of pure wool and how thick are they? Thick enough?

I doubt very much that the quality will be anything like a Swanndri especially with my sewing skills, but it would be a rustle free, spark proof and hopefully warm garment that I would not care about ruining. The problem with me is that I am a bit thin so I need a large size for the length but not that wide. I could custom make this one so it's just pukka.

Is this idea out of the question and i'm just being stupid? :?: :rolmao:

Cheers

Hootch :wink:

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
The mountain men in the forests of North America used to make jackets out of thick Hudsons Bay blankets. They even sell patterns for re-enactors to reproduce them. They actually looked pretty good and were quite functional. Wool is good stuff. Mac

leon-1

hootchi said:
I was thinking about using an army surplus blanket. Are they made of pure wool and how thick are they? Thick enough?

I doubt very much that the quality will be anything like a Swanndri especially with my sewing skills, but it would be a rustle free, spark proof and hopefully warm garment that I would not care about ruining. The problem with me is that I am a bit thin so I need a large size for the length but not that wide. I could custom make this one so it's just pukka.

Is this idea out of the question and i'm just being stupid? :?: :rolmao:

Cheers

Hootch :wink:

hootchi, the surplus blankets are wool, they are warm, but the material is not as thick as that used on a Swanndri, if you can, before you buy one for a project like this try and get to handle it as some of the surplus ones can be a bit thin and moth eaten.

You may also wish to double up on high wear areas like the shoulders and put the blanket through a hot wash before you start making the shirt (this way you can pre shrink it so that it is denser).

After it is made wash it through with a good proofing and this should give it some resistance to showers. Not a bad idea :)

Furface

Jan 13, 2005
Gloucester
Hootchi, this sounds like a cracking idea and I'm tempted to have a go myself. Anyone know where we could find suitable patterns?

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Kimboko made quite an impressive overcoat that he brought to Ashdown, PM him and ask for the pattern.
Are Swanni's waterproof?

leon-1

Rollnick said:
Kimboko made quite an impressive overcoat that he brought to Ashdown, PM him and ask for the pattern.
Are Swanni's waterproof?

Not waterproof, but due to the density and thickness of them they will keep showers at bay, but don't think they will hold of a downpour, even a short one :)

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
There's a pattern for a good blanket coat in Wildwood Wisdom by Ellsworth Jaeger and it's a cracking book for other Bushcrafty ideas for things to make...from clothing to canoes...sleds to camp furniture...

Available, as always, from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0936070129/ref=pd_sim_b_dp_3/202-2346564-5079800

You can get grade one Ex-Army blankets quite cheap and as mentioned below it may be worth doubling them up in places...or even everywhere. All the Army blankets I've ever seen where also White (if a little off white) but I think you can get them in grey too..... could always dye the white ones with nettle dye...that would look the bizz! :)

Good luck Mate.... when you're done will you pop a few pics up so we can all see?

leon-1

bambodoggy said:
All the Army blankets I've ever seen where also White (if a little off white) but I think you can get them in grey too..... could always dye the white ones with nettle dye...that would look the bizz! :)

Good luck Mate.... when you're done will you pop a few pics up so we can all see?

There are three major colours, white, grey and brown and most of them have a stripe or three running down the center whcih can be red or black (on some of the white ones I had been issued with over the years it was more of a dark blue).

Yep and Wildwood Wisdom is one of my favourites :biggthump

Ranger Bob

Nomad
Aug 21, 2004
Suffolk
I was considering making a shirt from blanket too! I'm currently finishing a Blanket coat (Capote) and have managed to get it out of just one blanket!.I was a bit concerned about the thickness, but once it was all stitched up, it really feels like a solid garment.
I got brand new army blankets from here: http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/ishop/877/shopscr1475.html
However these are only 50% wool.
Pure wool blankets are availible here: http://www.the-outdoor.co.uk/ishop/853/shopscr179.html
...cheaper too! Hope this helps!

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
hootchi

I made several pairs of mitts from an old woolen blanket a couple of years ago. I hot washed the blanket and tumbled it dry 2 or 3 times first to try to get the wool to felt up. Worked very well and the wool felt a lot denser and warmer once I'd done it.

I'd suggest that you do that to your blanket too before turning it in to a shirt.

george

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hi,
I started writing out the following instructions for folks to cut out their own, but it's becoming a geometry lesson, soooo.... if you measure up as below, send me the numbers in an e-mail, I'll work out the cutting sizes and photo it with my digital camera and send the instructions for you to print off. (Well, I'll get one of my 'technical reference manuals, to do it for me :wink: )

I'm *not* offering to sew for anyone....I've already got 79 garments to make :yikes: and there's no way I need any more work. Besides, a lot of it's in the barter system or the 'good things network'. :lol:

If you make an underkirtle of linen too, you will have the ideal layer system.

Toddy (who's frantically sewing a pair of bodies to wear at Stirling Castle tomorrow and who desperately wishes she could just go for a walk in the woods this afternoon instead)

Making your own swanni style shirt is no problem, basic sewing skills will be fine, finishing edges and strengthening wear points is simply practical. The pattern is basically blocks, and trims and pockets are optional. The ideal stuff is the wool melton that school blazers (the sort of 'felty' ones) are made from. (Fabric discounters sell this for between £3 and £5 per metre) If you wash it cold, it won't shrink, and if you use lots of fabric conditioner you can greatly improve the shower proofing too. The other fabric that's used a lot here is Harris Tweed, which can be bought for £7 a metre in Lewis.
The basic pattern is as for a Viking or medieval kirtle without flared gores but with underarm gussets. 2 metres or one wool blanket is usually ample fabric.
I've made about 50 of these things and once they're on, they've just about to crawl off to get the guys to change out of them. Everyone from the Galgael boat crew to the local poachers wear them.

Toddy

Measurements......write out the following list :)

Around head at widest part:-
Across shoulders:-
Back neck:-
Around neck:-
Shoulder to neck:-
Chest:-
Waist:-
Hips:-
Back neck to hem:-
Underarm to hem:-
Shoulder to wrist:-
Wrist:-
Fist:-
Elbow:-
Upper arm:-
Arm hole:-
Dip from back neck to front:-

Measuring Instructions

*Across back shoulders, from point to point, *usually* between 18 and 21", but I have made one at 29" (the re-enactor had a 79" waist, *big* man)
this gives the width that must be cut out for the back and front panels. I generally add on 1" for seams, sooo, if you measure 19" cut out at 20".
The seams allowance is 1/2".

*Measure around your head (you have to get the shirt on!) and a comfortable back neck from where the shoulder line will lie on one side to the other, usually between 7" and 8 +1/2".

*Shoulder to neck, measure from the side neck point to the outside edge of your shoulder. This gives the slope of the cut to make the shoulders fit properly.

*Measure from the same point on your neck to where you want the hem to be, add on 1/2 " for shoulder seam and 2" for hem.
This will give you a measurement for back and front pieces, something like 20" x 43".

*Chest, waist and hips....pick the biggest one and go with this as the measurement that all the body pieces fitted together have to cover comfortably. Most men wear their belts low, so measure around your belted trousers for your waist, not the skinny bit just below your ribs :)

*Shoulder to wrist, this ought to be to just on the line of the first of the bones that define 'thumb' at the base of your wrist, remember wool will crease to comfort fit with wear, and sleeves may ride up a little bit in firmer fabrics. It's also a damn sight easier to cut off too much than add on extra.

*Wrist, not as tight as your watch strap, but the comfortable, movement allowing width, that won't flap about. The fist measurement matters because this is the widest your hand is likely to ever be, trying to get into the cuff. If you want an openable cuff this is the widest measurement that it needs to spread, if you like to roll-up your cuffs you will need to adjust the split that you leave at the wrist.

*Armhole...the rule is, "Sword, shield, rifle, rope or oar" Make a loop in an inch tape about 28". Get someone to hold this at your shoulder with your armhole through it.
Now move your shoulder and arm as though to Wield a sword, Raise a shield, Fire a rifle, Heave a rope, Pull an oar. (I suppose I ought to add 'work a fire bow' for bushcrafters here!) If the loop girds or binds your arm movement anywhere during these movements, it's too tight, slacken off an inch and try again until the tape is the right length. This measurement, plus 1" (1/2" each side for seams) is the number you need for the armhole.
Women and very slender men usually have a smaller than 28" measurement, but it's a good starting point, either way.

*Dip from front to back....you need more room at the front neck than at the back, and the neckline sits lower here too. Usual dip is between 2 and 3+1/2"

*Upper arm and elbow measurements; these make sure that there's enough room in a tapered sleeve for movement, under clothes, and to trap warm air.

Cutting list,
Back panel
Front panel,
2 sleeves,
2 underarm gores,
4 side gores,
collar if desired,
pocket pieces,
Hem gores if you don't want a split side seam,

Sewing order for those not used to the pieces.
((If you are experienced I suggest that the sleeves are sewn to the side gores and the underarm gores fitted in. Then the completed sides are sewn onto the 'tabard' and the underarm completed.))

Shoulder seams

Sleeves to shoulders

Side gores

Wrist to underarm gore

Hem to underarm gore (split or gores allowed for)

Fit underarm gores

Neckline

Cuffs

Hems

Pockets

Tabs and straps, buttons ......

Cheers,

Toddy

greg2935

Nomad
Oct 27, 2004
Exeter
Just a suggestion: you could get an old oversize shirt from a charity shop, unpick the sewing and use that as a pattern.

Greg

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Tons of info there and a great offer cheers. :You_Rock_

It would be good if anyone does make on they take a few pics of the process and do a quick tutorial. I'm to sort so melton and some sewing skills.

James

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE