Blanket + Time = Bushshirt?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ravenn

Jan 13, 2005
Central, Ky,USA
A few years back, while deer hunting, I was setting in my stand just before dawn, shivering so hard I couldn't hold my Bow. Seemed like when dressing for hunting, you either had too much on , which made you sweat, or too little , which, while comfortable for the hike in, was too little for sitting idle waiting for a buck to come by.
I have several USGI wool blankets at home, so i sorted through them, found the "thinnest",and proceeded to cut a ""x" right in the center. I made the x big enough to stick my hear through, anddpull the collar of my USGI m-65 field jacket through, then got MS. Ravenn to stitch down the inside of the cut. Next morning, I rolled up myu home made poncho, strapped it in the bungee of my day pack, and hiked back to my stand. After getting settled, just before the "chill ' set in, I slipped it over my head,and "bingo"! stayed warm until the sun came up. I've since seen over boots made from sections of blanket to slip over footwear while sitting.

hootchi

Settler
Has anyone had any experience in dying wool dark green with something like nettles or grass? It's just that I have nearly got my blanket and was thinking I could dye it with something natural.

How did you do it?
What colour did it turn out?

Cheers

whitebuffalo

Banned
Oct 28, 2004
Cornwall
My first bushcraft was made this way, I copied an old trappers pattern for a capote. Really good and very warm.

I like making my own clothing much more than buying it.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
hootchi said:
Has anyone had any experience in dying wool dark green with something like nettles or grass? It's just that I have nearly got my blanket and was thinking I could dye it with something natural.

How did you do it?
What colour did it turn out?

Cheers

Sorry, I missed this question.The problem is not getting green colour on wool, it's getting a big enough 'bath' of hot water to keep the wool moving while it takes up the dye evenly. If you can manage that, then the longest lasting good greens are obtainable from nettles and copper, fomes fomentarius(doesn't need a mordant but is better with copper or iron), bog myrtle and iron, or weld and alum overdyed with woad or indigo.
Over 70% of British dyestuffs will give you yellow, these can usually be 'saddened' into khaki greens by adding iron. Every area will grow plants with slightly different minerals etc., and will have different waters too. Natural dyes can be a bit of a hit or miss for a particular tone or shade but the basics usually work countrywide.

Cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
raskusdrotti said:
I just opened another thread thinking this was along dead one!
I read the date of the last post as 2004 :rolleyes:

Anyhoo!
Did anyone actually make one of these shirts?
Are there any photos?

Neil :D

I just followed your link and answered the question...sorry for the muddle.

Toddy

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
Yo Toddy
The only digital picture I have is of me in my white Capote I hate the colour and won't wear it for real until I've toned it down. As I only spent £1 for the blanket at a charity shop I'm not going to spent £10 on bought dyes to tone down the colour. Keeping it simple please can you advise on how to dye it with nettles.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
KIMBOKO said:
Yo Toddy
The only digital picture I have is of me in my white Capote I hate the colour and won't wear it for real until I've toned it down. As I only spent £1 for the blanket at a charity shop I'm not going to spent £10 on bought dyes to tone down the colour. Keeping it simple please can you advise on how to dye it with nettles.

Hmmm, it's fair bit of work, maybe a tenner isn't so bad :)
However, here goes.
To get dye to afix evenly you have to prepare the material you want dyed. Firstly removing *all* grease and oil and then it's usually more sucessful to pre-mordant the fibres. Basically a mordant will leave the fabric receptive to picking up the dye colour.
Don't fuss about special wool soaps and the like, cheap generic supermarket shampoo works fine; it's meant for hair, wool is hair. Ammonia will work really well at degreasing (that's what the stale urine was really used for!)
Mordants can be troublesome. They are all, without exception, toxic. Used carefully and in moderation they ought to cause no problems, but if I find someone using tin or chrome just to get a brighter colour I will come and be very nasty to them :(
The usual ones acceptable in the uk are alum, iron and copper.
Alum is used in water treatment so the sewerage systems are set up to deal with it, copper is used in water pipes and again, in moderation, is processed without destroying the rivers. Iron is used by most females in the land at some point or other and to quote a sewage engineer (yes, I did go and ask about these), "You lot excete most of it, so we've gotten used to treating the excess". He almost had hysterics when I mentioned chrome and tin, so we won't go there, will we?

You need to weigh your jacket, and if you let me know I'll send you sufficient mordant for it, or if you'd prefer advise weights and where to obtain supplies. Much less mordant than is usually advised is needed for dyeing. Most of the how much to use advice comes from companies selling the stuff so it's in their interests to advise *lots* when it's not really necessary. Originally mordants were obtained from local minerals and plants. The plants that supply alum are bog mosses and it's definitely not recommended to collect them now. Iron and copper ore or iron pan water are a real pain to process, though steel wool and vinegar will give iron mordant and copper pipe in ammonia will give the copper one.

Nettles: Lots! You need as many leaves as will fit into the largest pot you have, pour over boiling water and simmer gently for maybe half an hour....strain it and you should have a strong green-brown liquor. This is your dye. If it's not strong enough you'll get a very soft sunbleached khaki green colour on your wool, but you can always boil up some more dye and steep the jacket again. The dye can be diluted down to create a sufficient volume of liquid for the fabric to move freely in the dyebath.
If you don't move the fabric gently around in the dye it'll create a very patchy looking finish (camouflage??)

The only problem I can see is that some wool felts very easily, which is why I'd recommend dyeing the fabric before the garment is made up, at least that way you can make it big enough instead of worrying about shrinkage. However, if you make sure to raise and lower the temperature of the wool slowly, no thermal shocks, and don't agitate it in the water, just gently move it about it ought to be fine.
How long? Ah well, if you raise the temperature of a reaction by 10oC you cut the time needed for the reaction in half, but if you think about it, that means that time will work as well as heat, so just leave it in until it's a colour you like or finally run out of patience :D

Hope this helps, if not give me a phone, or send a pm and I'll see what I can do,
Cheers,
Toddy

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
Capote washed, mordanted and soaking in nettle dye as we speak. Doesn't look green, more a dirty yellow but at least its not white!!! I have walnut leaves boiling (for brown dye), so I may be able to get a varied tone cammo look by selective dyeing.

AAAArgh
I've misread the instructions I used Alum as a mordant and I think I should have used copper and ammonia to get a green!!!! Perhaps next time.

Nick P

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
KIMBOKO said:
Capote washed, mordanted and soaking in nettle dye as we speak. Doesn't look green, more a dirty yellow but at least its not white!!! I have walnut leaves boiling (for brown dye), so I may be able to get a varied tone cammo look by selective dyeing.

AAAArgh
I've misread the instructions I used Alum as a mordant and I think I should have used copper and ammonia to get a green!!!! Perhaps next time.

Nick P

:D :cool:
Excellent! You obviously have the hang of this; wool overdyes very successfully. Just make up a new dye bath and soak again. I think your walnut leaves ought to give you a mousey brown on top of the nettle yellow (sort of grey yellow usually with alum) Certainly bushcrafty and utterly authentic. Alternatively, lift the jacket out of the dyebath, and if you make up a copper mordant and add that to the dyeliquor and then re-immerse the jacket, it ought to turn the yellow to green. The longer you leave the wool in the dye the better the colour. The only problem might be whatever your dyebath is made from. If it's plastic, fine, if it's aluminium the dye will try to stick to that instead of your wool, if it's iron it'll sadden down your dye to a grey green. Stainless steel isn't as stainless as we might like and eventually acts a bit like iron and mostly you end up dyeing the dyepot :confused:
Best of luck with it, hope you get a colour you like. :)

Cheers,
Toddy

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
Not thinking you would reply so quickly I have started an experiment with ammonia and some old copper pipe fittings.
But now you are on line please can you tell me how to make the copper mordant????

Nick P

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sorry, went for a snooze :eek: I saw dawn this morning and I'd been up since 5 the day before :D
Find a jar with a good screw top! elsewise you'll blast your sinuses clear. Put copper into the jar, pour on ammonia, don't fill to the brim or anything just generously cover and agitate gently, with the lid on!. Within minutes you'll have a beautiful ink blue coloured mordant. If you soak wool in this you'll get a green anyway, but it's harsh on the wool and makes it brittle. I usually leave it overnight and then strain the liquid into my dyebath. Sometimes a couple of spoonsful is enough but you're dyeing rather a lot so say at least 100ml of ammonia/copper.

Cheers,
Toddy

running bare

Banned
Sep 28, 2005
jarrow,tyne & wear uk
i know im years outta date on this thread! ive just joined and trawlin thru. how bout using a fleece throw? you can usually pik em up for about a fiver nd they dont get heavy wen wet, not natural or enviro friendly or bio degradable but at least the coke bottles have utha uses than littering the woods.

tom

i hate jungles!!!! concrete ones that is.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
running bare said:
i know im years outta date on this thread! ive just joined and trawlin thru. how bout using a fleece throw? you can usually pik em up for about a fiver nd they dont get heavy wen wet, not natural or enviro friendly or bio degradable but at least the coke bottles have utha uses than littering the woods.

tom

i hate jungles!!!! concrete ones that is.

Fleece works well......but not beside open fires :rolleyes: and it gets sweaty smelly in a way that wool doesn't, and it clings too and isn't warm when damp or wet. (okay, it's lighter and easier to wash) It's not bad stuff, just not as good as wool for some bushcrafty things.

I know what you mean about concrete jungles, and acres of tarmac too. Gulag school of architecture ought to be pulled down as a service to humanity! :)

Cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE