Blanket + Time = Bushshirt?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
rowen said:
This may be of use to you, the page tells you how to make a Hudson Bay Capote in three to five hours -

http://www.inquiry.net/outdoor/winter/gear/capote.htm

Good luck

Hey Rowen, fantastic link Mate....there's heaps to make on there. I'm really bad with sowing so I'm not planning to try any of that but I do fancy making a pair of snow shoes....

Nice one buddy!!!

Furface

Jan 13, 2005
Gloucester
I'd just like to re-itterate Hootchi's sentiments. I've not long been on this forem and still a bit uncertain 'bout how thing work, but I can't get over what a great bunch of people are in this community.

You guys rock :super: :super: :super:

hootchi said:
Hello all. :wink:

Having been totally inspired by Mark's moccasins I was wondering if I could make a crude bushshirt, kinda like the swanndri ! :?:

I was thinking about using an army surplus blanket. Are they made of pure wool and how thick are they? Thick enough?

I doubt very much that the quality will be anything like a Swanndri especially with my sewing skills, but it would be a rustle free, spark proof and hopefully warm garment that I would not care about ruining. The problem with me is that I am a bit thin so I need a large size for the length but not that wide. I could custom make this one so it's just pukka.

Is this idea out of the question and i'm just being stupid? :?: :rolmao:

Cheers

Hootch :wink:
The link below is for wool material at Pointnorth...£5.95per metre. They recommend it is used for clothing!

http://www.pointnorth.co.uk/shop_product.asp?product_id=86

Hope this is useful?

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
My capote is still unfinished, I need to dye it but as it cost only £1 at a charity shop and so I don't want to spend £10 on bought dyes. I have experimented with natural dyes- turmeric nettle, walnut but havnt been able to gather enough material as it is winter. Then i want to waterproof it the Horace Kephart lanolin (wool fat) method.
Its was easy to make - basically squares and rectangles and blanket stitch it all together ----the hood is too embarrassing to wear in company --to much like kkk.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
One other thing to consider hootchi is a woollen poncho - simple to make and versatile.

For more Capote info check out the Mountain man web ring this has hundreds of sites, in paricular look up the blanket brigades site.

Good luck and happy sewing.

PS Nick your capotes spot on - I'd leave it white, at least we could see you in the dark!!

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
I missed seeing the last few posts as I went home. In answer i used a thick knitting wool to sew it together you can also easily make a bone needle for sewing blanket. Blanket stich is like a series of half hitches over the edge of the cloth. Picture of capote in the gallery also needles. I'll not make another I've discovered match coats!!!.
ChrisKavanaugh can i join your fantasy/world?

Ranger Bob

Nomad
Aug 21, 2004
Suffolk
KIMBOKO said:
In answer i used a thick knitting wool to sew it together
I was going to use wool to sew my blanket coat together, but it just seemed a bit to flimsy at the time, so....I used parcel string instead! Solid stuff!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE