Blandford fly

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Anyone else been bitten ?, i got bitten on sunday,now got heavy swelling with pain, stiffness and blisters that keep weeping.

Rob

Trev

Nomad
Mar 4, 2010
Northwich Cheshire
Hi ,
Not been bitten , but folklore says ingested ginger should ease the swelling/pain/weeping . Sounds nasty mate , hope it gets better .
Cheers , Trev
p.s. not raw ginger , things with ginger in . Wouldn't want anyone to eat raw ginger on my account .

Last edited:

Andy80F

Jun 30, 2010
Poole, Dorset
Ginger has a proven antiemetic action, that is it helps stop nausea and vomiting for a lot of people (great for hangovers), and taking ginger beer when you have nausea can be efficacious in both helping control the nausea and in replacing some fluid.

Its late for the Blandford Fly which is more common May/June time and its the female only that feeds being one of the few insects to show a preference for human blood.

An antihistamine can help sometimes in controlling the symptoms but you do have to be on guard for infection secondary to the wound esp when the blister is burst.

Not seen too many Blandford Fly bites this year but maybe they are late this year and hopefully yours is just an isolated incident rather than the start of the "season".

Andy80F

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Well I dunno what a blandford fly is but i have been laid low by a good old fashioned gad fly which caused a leg to swell up.l

F

fiskman6666

Well I dunno what a blandford fly is but i have been laid low by a good old fashioned gad fly which caused a leg to swell up.l

Tis a little black fly that deserves to be exterminated.I have been bitten and had extreme reactions ranging from swellings and blisters to severe fever and hallucigenic reactions on other occasions zero effects.To my mind if ever there was a realistic reason for total extermination ,this little varmint warrants it.
Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE