Blades for basic bushcraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tobias

May 19, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
Hey, I'm new to bushcraft and would like some blade advice.

I quite like the look of the billhook to (in a way) replace an axe (there's one of amazon with a flat blade and curved blade).

What knife would be best to buy? I don't want to spent a great deal but I'd like a knife that's good for multitasking in bushcraft.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
do a search for 'mora knife' and that will point you in the right direction.

as for bill hooks, dont buy one of amazon. it will probably be over priced and of poor quality steel. good bill hooks are very hard to come by new as the are very rairly used like they where in the past.
also i would steer clear of the double edged bills at first. they have the advantage of the flat axe like bit but they are also much more dangerous. when trimming brances if you don't hit the right spot it dould spring back towards you! and with their weight and large edges you dont want to have an acsident with one!!!
the best place to buy one is at car boot sales. dont be put of by rust, this can be easily cleaned off and you will end up with a old tool of supirior steel.

pete

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
Hi Tobias, you can't go wrong with Mora! Have a look on google where to get your and the model you like, I have Frost Mora Classic, but for camping a Clipper is more comfortable (maybe). They are cheap and very reliable knifes ;)

Tobias

May 19, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
Thanks guys, I'll most likely buy a mora blade - it's a wallet friendly price :D

I'm not sure what to get in place of a hatchet...I prefer a larger blade. Any recommendations?

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Let me take care of the next 12 post:)
Mora
Mora
Mora
Mora
Mora
Mora
Mora
Mora
Mora
Mora
Mora
Mora
You can see what can be done with a simple mora by watching videos of Hobbexp. I have been thinking of getting a mora blade and making a handle for it just fo fun.
Here is hobbexp's videos.
http://www.youtube.com/user/hobbexp#p/u

Well that about sums it up :)
The moras are held in great renown here by new bushcrafters and old timers alike. They come shaving sharp and you have to really and I mean REALLY abuse them to break them. I have borrowed a pic from the outdoor idiots site to show a badly abused, but still functioning Mora

oiknife_overview.jpg

ananix

Tenderfoot
Apr 24, 2010
Denmark
Sorry but i have to say that i find the mora sucks for all purpose woodcraft, its proberly gonna be fround opon in this mora relgious site so i duck my neck in advantage.

I prefere another grind, taller blade, blade grip and thumb riffels, dont find the handles big enough either.

I do have a mora (stainless steal) though, the one i got as a cub 20years ago, its chiped and in general raped as i use it for work i would not normaly use a knife for, but its cheap (4pound) and handy in my fjellraven pants side pocket so i carry it around in the cabin and local area. When i head for the woods i bring a real knife :) *GG

Here they are

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Last edited:

ananix

Tenderfoot
Apr 24, 2010
Denmark
http://www.gerberuk.com/index.php/product/id/466 - does anyone think that's a good blade? I honestly have no clue!

defently not, you will need to be able to use the blade in there for controll. Partly why i prefere an extra grip on the blade to. I also find the grind to splitting for cutting but thats more a mather of taste. Also make sure to get a smooth blade not beat blasted, for hygine and cutting.

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
You really have to buy a Mora, if yer don't like it :yikes: lash it, for £4:99p it's gotta be the bargain of the century.
When I first heard of them I thought members where chattin' sh**, how wrong was I, bought quite a few since and rehandled one, it's also brilliant for whittlin' too. I own dearer ones but they're in the draw.

Get one, you'll know what all the fuss is about. :)

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
http://www.gerberuk.com/index.php/product/id/466 - does anyone think that's a good blade? I honestly have no clue!

put very politely - no.

seriously mate - follow the links I gave you in my first post.

get a mora off heinnie.

I bought a mora blank not that long ago and it is SCARY SCARY sharp - you simply won't get a better knife for the money.

as said - if you don't like it then bin it (or sell it on here - some one will happily take it)
Ananix doesn't like them - that is his choice - but it doesn'e them bad.

Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE