Blade thickness

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

What blade thickness for your primary user?

• 2mm

Votes: 34 14.2%
  • 3mm

Votes: 110 45.8%
  • 4mm

Votes: 80 33.3%
  • 5mm

Votes: 8 3.3%
  • 6mm

Votes: 8 3.3%

• Total voters

rcs

Forager
Jul 24, 2008
Pill
rcs - What do you think about the transition from 2-5mm? Was it difficult, or natural?

No problem at all, the H1 feels very natural, like it could cope with anything but then so does my clipper.

regards,
Rob

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Interesting stuff, I might need to try out some other knives.What I really wanna try is a good quality american bowie knife with a five inch blade and full flat grind :cool:

Wonder how to broach that to SWMBO...

traderran

Settler
May 6, 2007
TEXAS USA
Interesting stuff, I might need to try out some other knives.What I really wanna try is a good quality american bowie knife with a five inch blade and full flat grind :cool:

If you want one to last the rest of your life.
Get a Randall #1-6. I got my first one in 1963 and
it has been around the world with me.
And is still my go to knife while camping an hunting.

Boston973

Feb 3, 2009
Mass

I would check out the crazy cow trading post. They have some very affordable old style american bowies you may like. I have never partaken with there service, but my father does have one of those old knives they sell and he loves it.

Here is a link
http://www.crazycrow.com/Merchant2/...001&Category_Code=841-100-000&Product_Count=3

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
It is all dependent on the grind,

You can have a 3mm scandi ground knife that wont slice as well as a 5mm full flat ground knife.

Also depends on what you use it for, filleting knives need to be thinner etc.

For a scandi grind on an average user if there is such a thing then 2-3mm is about right IMHO

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
If you want one to last the rest of your life.
Get a Randall #1-6. I got my first one in 1963 and
it has been around the world with me.
And is still my go to knife while camping an hunting.

Randall knives do look nice, but too expensive for me unfortunately :eek:

Boston - they say they have a minimum international order of $200 :eek: Maybe if the pound was getting more dollars than it is, but not in this climate!

Shinken - that's quite right, of course. Still can have a favourite :D :p

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
DSC01506.jpg

This has been my primary fixed blade knife for a while now and it's 3mm, i made it thinner than my previous user (Woodlore) and it's all the better for it.
It slices pretty well for a scandi and is plenty strong for heavy battoning tasks and as previously mentioned any really heavy battoning is best done with a wedge - carved with a nice thin blade :D .

seved

Maker
Dec 10, 2007
Sweden
www.sevedsknivar.se
I voted for 6 mm.
I use a 7 and 3,5 mm for my hunting and utilityknives. But i have made knives in all kind of steelthicknes from 2 to 10 mm 2 mm for a fileknife and 10 mm for a skinner/chooper.

I like the thicker knives for skining, chopping and slicing and becouse of the durability. I like the thinner knives when i slice and when a carving.

Seved

craeg

Native
May 11, 2008
New Marske, North Yorkshire
I don't own a knife this thickness yet. My mass produced CRKT is 3mm (really nice BTW) but I don't like the slight flex that happens if I abuse it too much.

For this reason I think 4mm is a good compromise between thickness of blade for strength and general utility. Therefore it's the thickness of blade I will buy :)

Any recommendations for an artisan handmade knife around the £100 mark?

Craeg ;)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I voted 3mm. That's the thickest blade I own and use.
My knives get a lot of use, and I've never found I needed anything thicker tbh, even my billhook is a shade under the 3mm.

cheers,
Toddy

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
I voted 3mm. That's the thickest blade I own and use.
My knives get a lot of use, and I've never found I needed anything thicker tbh, even my billhook is a shade under the 3mm.

cheers,
Toddy

That's interesting - my Leuku is about 3mm and I expected a billhook to be somewhat thicker. Good to know!

Pete

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Nope, I measured it just before I posted so I could be sure. I was pretty certain but thought I'd better check.
I think it's 5/32nds of an inch thick........I know I grew up with imperial measurements but by heavens the metric is a damned sight simpler :D

cheers,
M

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I've just checked mine ...My Elwell Knighton pattern hook is 5mm tapering to 3.5mm

But my Newton pattern is a lot slimmer.

Probably what makes the Elwell a fearsome kindling chopper!

In knives I'm with many others - 3mm is a nice thickness for a normall belt knife - never needed more and they feel clumsy to me

Red

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
.I know I grew up with imperial measurements but by heavens the metric is a damned sight simpler

I was born using the metric and I can only agree with you as far as small measurements ;) otherwise I use imperial.. much easier to call a sheet of ply 8' by 4' rather than 2.4 metres by 1.22 metres :yuck: 1 pound is also nicer than 500 grs. :werd: for a frenchman!!!

I voted 3mm for general work, but also use 2 mm for crooked knives and some carving knives, also made and some 4mm knives and I am even making a 5mm thick blade "chopper" at the moment! Really depend on what you want to do I s'pose :rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE