Blade Care

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fisheyelens

Feb 12, 2010
Cumbria
Hello everyone, Hope your having a good week.

I have done a few searches on the forum and been through the posts and managed to gather a bit of info, but decided best to ask outright.

For wood I have a bottle of Boiled Linseed.

For my axe head I am looking at getting a bottle of cheap gun oil like on the Ray mears video.

So now I need to know what to put on my 01 blade, someone said to use mineral oil from a chemist cos its cheap and food safe, I know mears uses the Camellia Oil, made from squeezing rare chameleons at £16 a drop, is this the real deal one stop option?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Lee

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
personally I just wipe/rinse clean and dry it off before sheathing it. If you need to care for your knife then you are either not using it enough or trying to keep it too pretty :D

generally I recommend a wipe with whatever oil you like on all parts. Danish or linseed oil on wood, metal and leather is fine and you only need one bottle ;) If it is a blade for cutting food stuffs then use food safe oil on that like veg oil or 'salad bowl oil', but to be honest if you dry it then it shouldn't rust and the patina will help protect from that anyway.

ooh I'm a heathen and can't look after my tools properly. I don't even keep a mirro polish on my axes!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Thank goodness for real advice!
that is just how I treat mine...though if I have been cutting cooked food (especially things like cream cakes) I will lick the blade clean rather than rinse it....

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Do any of you guys remember way back before we had stainless cutlery, and the taste you got from eating with an old fork.
These youngsters don't know they have it so good. ha ha.

fisheyelens

Feb 12, 2010
Cumbria
I'm not one for keeping things pretty, as long as its sharp and working I am happy, but it does make sense for me to keep tools in good working order. I am a diver so I really live by the idea of look after your kit and it will look after you.

Ill probs just use some veg oil on the blade now an then an keep it clean and dry.

thanks guys!

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I'm with those that say just keep it dry. I've got loads of oil but I never use it. Rinse off in water then dry... sorted.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE