Blacksmith forge

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
Well now i have been permanently signed off work i have the time to start the hobby i have wanted to for years.
So im in the process of looking for a small gas forge to do some small blacksmithing with.
There is an opening locally in the craft fairs market as im a regular attendee due to my mother selling knitwear i have noticed there are no other people doing blacksmithing.

I intend to get a small trailer and take my forge and small anvil etc to the fairs and do some demos and sell some items.
Maybe even offer the chance for people to have a go themselves. (depending on insurances etc)

So if anyone here knows of a gas forge for sale please let me know or any tools or associated kit.

Cant wait to get going and make some metal money!!

Rod Paradise

Oct 16, 2008
Upper Nithsdale, Dumfriesshire
Saw a blacksmith's stall in a market in Prague - seemed to be doing a good trade - one thing they did which seemed to sell well were forged metal roses (certainly I'd to buy one for SWMBO)

You can make out a bit of their setup in the first pic, and some of their wares in the second. Good Luck if you go for this!!

SAM_0562.jpg

SAM_0563.jpg

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
Yeah i can see why those forged roses sell so well, definitely on my list of things to make.
Also things like Damascus knife forks and spoon sets,
Crosses, jewelry candle holder etc.

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
I looked at doing shows as a member of the Blacksmiths Guild. With a coal forge no probs..usual public liability. With a gas forge...well hard to get insurance as the gas might explode (wouldn't be hot if it didn't :rofl:)
So now got both ;)

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
Im looking at buying a small gas forge from Lithuania off the evil bay.
I cant find one from this country below £300!!!
Does anyone know someone who makes them especially the burners or where i can buy the burner for a good price?

Nov 24, 2012
Texas
Try Zoeller forge. He's in the US. He has an excellent site for fantastic forge plans, pictures as well as parts for sale. I have several thousand in store bought forges, when I could have built for my specific needs for a couple of hundred. These purchases were pre- web days. But, now I have a future resource if needed.

Nov 24, 2012
Texas
Check out this US web site- zoellerforge.com He has excellent burners that are reasonably priced and would be inexpensive to ship. While you're there check out the member's forge gallery. Plans, pictures and parts!

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
The Lithuanian forges look OK, but I've never seen one in person. The only ones availble finished in the UK are Swans (farriers forges, good but pricey), Vaughans (same) and some from Castree Kilns.

The Castree forges are cheaper than the other UK ones and they work fine. I've been using burners from Castree for my gas forges for a few years and they work well. The burners allow me to build the size and shape forge I want, so I'm not limited to whatever I can find, it also means I can spend £100 on the burner/valve/regulator assembly and not on the forge body. I've got a small 45000btu burner on a forge made from a small tea urn and it works fine (though would be better on a smaller chamber), the 100,000btu burner gets to welding temp on a much larger forge chamber. Castree also has all of the refractory suppliers that you need to make a forge ;)

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Why not look into building your own?

There is a two brick gas forge jojo built on here. There's a nice tutorial too.

I built one too and run it off a roofers blow torch. Perfect for heat treatment.

Cheers

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
Ive had a look at all the forges mentioned and they are all out of my very limited price range.
Even making my own one comes in more expensive than the Lithuanian one.

Plus Zoller is out of business for medical reasons until march 2013
There is another on ebay that im bidding on but the price is creeping steadily up towards the price of a new one.

Thanks for the replys and help guys, much appreciated.
Is there many folks on here that do black/bladesmithing?

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
Are those roofing torches good enough for forge welding??
Didnt think they would be powerful enough for a forge.

I especially want to make damascus steel items.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE