Black Locust wood available

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Where I work they have just taken down a Black Locust tree Robinia pseudoacacia, which was damaged by snow. the tree has a lot of burrs on it, and having been cut up some of the burr grain is lovely. This tree was the only one that I know of in the county, so I pounced on the chance to get some.

I got talking to the site maintenance guy who was cutting it up with a chainsaw (incidentally with no protective clothing other than some ear defenders :eek:) and asked him if he would cut out one of the larger burrs for me for woodturning purposes. He obliged, and cut me several other good chunks besides.

So, I now have more Black Locust wood than I know what to do with. It is unseasoned, and in cubic foot chunks. I am hoping to cut some bits up into more manageable size pieces but with no chainsaw and inadequate hand tools this could be a slow job. In the meantime my shed is blocked by the stuff. Before anyone asks, the pieces are too large to post.

Therefore, if anyone is in reasonable travel distance of Pontypool, and would like a chunk of this wood, drop me a pm and it is yours to collect. The wood has a reputation for being very durable and hard, rather like Laburnum, to which it is closely related. I've no pics of the burrs yet, but the grain that I have seen is lovely. If you can dry it out there are some nice bowls or knife scales to be had.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Harvestman, I'd love some of this - can't resist a nice bit of timber! I'm in the lower wye valley so collection is no problem................I'll pm you tomorrow when I know how my time is looking these next few days........
Thanks for offering to share this, very good of you! atb, mac

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Don't suppose you could rescue a bagful of the bark could you ? just so I could try a dyebath from it ? About as much as would fill one of the polybags loaves come in would be brilliant ? Happy to cover p&p costs :)

If it's been chainsawn and chipped and dumped though; maybe not :(

It was used to make orangey red dyes and to colour hides.

cheers,
M

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Mary I think I can arrange that, since all of the bits I have are with bark on (and usually with ivy all over it, which is why it came down in the first place). For me the bark is just waste, so I will remove some and break it up for you. It is a bit wet though because of the rain. The bark seems a bit spongy.

I'll be interested to see what you do with it. :)

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Would you post if i was to pay postage (courier)? or perhaps a trade of some description for the courier cost?

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
hi mike how are you I've had my hop done last week so any chance of keeping enough for a kuska for me and i will collect when i can regards dave

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I'll try to get over to you Mon am, can't stand the thought of a man not being able to get into his shed! atb mac

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Thankyou very much...........three nice logs collected ths am.............lots of potential for small stuff, looks like it could be very nice wood.....I'll post the results when I've made sommat............atb mac

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I get Robinia reasonably regularly from tree surgeons it's not uncommon as a planted park and garden tree. I have a bunch at the moment mostly straight and clean 4" to 12" but too short for bows. Makes decent tool handles, stool logs etc which don't rot but would be very hard work for kuksa etc.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I can pop up and get a piece if I may? I try to get just past you hill walking as often as I can (about once a year atm).

Let me know when you are heading this way and what you might be looking to make from it and either we cane meet up or I'll leave some by the workshop at the bottom of Jacobs Ladder if it's weekend.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE