Black Belt in Bushcraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Atellus

Jul 15, 2007
Warrington, Cheshire
I was inspired to write this over-long post by the How to become a survival instructor thread, but I didn't want to hijack bushcraftsman's thread, especially as I have a verbosity problem! ;-)

My own interest in Bushcraft is still at a very basic stage, but in idle moments I've day-dreamed, like most people, about the possible end result of it all years down the line.

I wonder if it could be analogous to what happens in the world of Martial Arts? Let's get hypothetical for a moment and say that, for the purposes of comparison, it's possible to earn a black belt in bushcraft! :cool: This would cover all the basics such as emergency survival, camping skills, fire lighting, food gathering and what have you. The stuff you need for subsisting for a few days up to a few weeks rather than the harder core skills which enable you to live comfortably almost indefinitely (which, as you'll already be thinking, are mostly just being better and having more practise at the basics I've listed above!)

In the world of MA there are two broad categories into which many clubs could be placed:
1. Strict, using a defined syllabus, hierarchical, often "pure", often political
2. Syllabus used as a guide rather than a rule, flexible, broad-based, open-minded

In Type 1, pure refers to those groups who won't tolerate any technique, application or method drawn from beyond the established boundaries of their art. They seek to standardise and often get into pedantic (political) arguments with similar clubs over what is and isn't part of their subject. This contrasts with Type 2 where anything goes so long as you can prove that it works.

Obviously, this is a horrible generalisation, but necessary for this example.

As you work your way up the ladder in many Type 1 clubs, you are assumed to possess total competence in the body of knowledge defined by your grade. Thus, when you reach black belt, you're automatically considered capable of instructing others and if you adhere to the strict, pre-defined syllabus, you are. The only variable is your personal aptitude for teaching.

This is like it used to be with University degrees. Achievement of a good undergrad degree didn't make you an academic, but you were considered competent to teach your subject at high school or sixth form college - then they got anal about it and brought in all these complicated teaching qualifications which they keep changing every couple of years... but I digress.

Adhering to a strict syllabus, and training students to pass their grading exams according to that syllabus, is a great way of mass producing basically competent black belts... or university graduates, for that matter! But there is something lacking in this approach which can be found in the Type 2 category.

In Type 2, achieving a black belt doesn't mean that your club is going to let you loose on its students! Now, this may cause some disagreement, but it seems that in order to teach effectively up to level 1, a good teacher is usually qualified up to level 2 or 3. Same goes for black belt instructors and university lecturers. I've met black belts from the Type 1 clubs who know all the moves but don't always know how to use them! The move is in the form/kata that they studied, and they know it backwards and can teach it, but ask them to demonstrate an application of the move outside the context of the form and some of them struggle. This points to a lack of depth in their knowledge, a lack of understanding of the broader context.

Type 2 clubs usually view this deeper understanding as a pre-requisite for a good instructor. How do you gain this? By staying on and continuing to train as a black belt, not only with your own organisation, but with many others as well. In a sense, your black belt is merely the end of your formal education and the beginning of your apprenticeship, at the end of which you might become an instructor and start charging students for your time!

I'm currently studying a style of Kung Fu and our club has quite a few black belts, only a handful of which are instructing, and some of the instructors are still senior students who have yet to take their black belt exam. Having some experience of the more rigid approach described earlier, I can say I prefer this other approach.

To drag myself back on topic, after having day dreamed about instructing, I also looked at various websites and biography pages myself. I concluded that trying to plan such a career is pointless. This is partly because there is no governing body in Bushcraft. A governing body would publish a set of standard skills and recognised qualifications and possibly set up an exam board. This would make career planning much easier, but there's a downside. If Bushcraft had a governing body, it would be in danger of falling into the Type 1 category.

Bushcraft as it is contains a plethora of different points of view; different solutions to the same problems; different backgrounds from which it draws it's foremost experts. This diversity enriches the subject. So, while there are training courses, there are a lot of different training courses run by different people. They're all comparable up to a point, which is the hypothetical "bushcraft black belt" status, but beyond that, they have all done different apprenticeships in their art and because of this, I think Bushcraft as it currently exists is closer to the Type 2 category.

And, my humble opinion, despite the drawback for wannabe instructors, I think Bushcraft is better off for it!

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Very interesting opinion here Atellus...I agree with you...but never-the-less, I would still LOVE to be an instructor of this type of thing...perhaps just training new recruits for the military in basic survival skills is an option. I'll have a search..:D

Interesting read though :D thanks

Atellus

Jul 15, 2007
Warrington, Cheshire
Oh, I wasn't trying to put you off! I was trying to illustrate that there is no defined career path and that this is, in fact, probably a good thing. It just makes it more... interesting... for those trying to develop a professional career.

Refering to your own thread, forestwalker made a very good point in his reply by suggesting you develop what amounts to a portfolio of proof of your skills. This would be an excellent way to present yourself to the world and a lot of fun to build up, as well!

It reminded me of another aspect of MA which I didn't mention earlier. In some arts, particularly those of Chinese origin, it's common to assess a practitioners education in the art by reference to their lineage. The Japanese arts use a militaristic hierarchical structure, but Kung Fu considers itself more of a family. Your Kung Fu instructor is not your boss, he's literally your Kung Fu father. Your fellow students of the same grade are you Kung Fu brothers. More senior students are your Kung Fu uncles (even if they're physically younger than you, which can be confusing at first!). The importance of this is that if I were to introduce myself to a traditional Kung Fu school in China, I would start by identifying my Kung Fu father, grandfather and great grandfather and any notable brothers and uncles. From this, they would begin to form an idea of my background and capabilities - an incomplete one, obviously, as I will have picked up knowledge from a variety of sources - but it would give them a good starting point, nevertheless.

So perhaps you need two things as a Bushcraft instructor. First, you need a multimedia portfolio which will serve as your proof of competence in the absence of any formal qualifications from a non-existent governing body. Second, you need to build up and record a lineage which will be all the people you have trained with, the courses you have taken, the experiences you have had. This will eventually form part of your portfolio, but it will be a big part so deserves separate consideration.

Sorry if I'm starting to replicate the discussion being held in the other thread, but I didn't want to confuse that discussion with my MA analogy.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Interesting thoughts.

There was a thread some time ago expressing bewilderment at the number of Bushcraft and Survival "Schools" that seem to have sprung up in recent years.

It does seem that just about anyone that can create a web presence and talk themselves up a bit can start to run courses in a very ad hoc manner.

Now while some people might think this is very good and creative, I'm not sure it's good for the "industry" as it were.

If there are no standards set, then how does Jo public know they are being given correct information or taught properly?

Fortunately, sites like this mean that word of mouth and recommendations spread very fast these days which acts as some degree of check on this situation.

Having said all that, a quick look at any of the threads arguing about what is or isn't "Bushcraft" will soon illustrate that trying to formalise such a wide base of skills is somewhat like herding cats.

As such, I suspect that "Bushcraft" will always defy rationalisation and individual reputation will be the defining quality that determines which "schools" thrive and which ones fade away.

also intersting to note the Belt systems was brought in for us westerners to have levels we can acheive :rolleyes: it didn not exist in ancent japan etc

you would normally practice your art for some years starting as a young boy and many years later your masters would consider you had reached a basic level of skill and understanding and allow you to wear your Hakkima (spelling) the black over clothes, as the white outfit most wear is considered Under garments :eek: (and why females are alowed to wear the Hakkima from the start cant have girls running round the mat in their underwear ;) )

That point is where we westerners have placed the Black belt but most arts consider it the start of real learning now you have sorted the basics most have 8 to 10 levels above this Dan grades for us with the rest of your life taken to achieve them etc

which is why its a bit of a joke when you see little jonny or his sister has attained a black belt in xxxx and is only 10 etc :rolleyes:

how you apply this to bushcraft i dont know
:D

ATB

Duncan

Atellus

Jul 15, 2007
Warrington, Cheshire
Weyland, if you were to replace "Bushcraft" with "Martial Arts" than your post would be equally as relevant. You have nicely summarised the same problems faced by budding MA students and, as you point out, the only solution is to research an instructors reputation, ask around and ultimately, go along to a class/training course and see what you think yourself.

It's a typical catch 22. To judge an instructors worth, you need experience, but you only get that experience by getting burned a couple of times by amateurs who have learned a bit from someone of quality, then gone off and set up their own bushcraft school/martial arts style, elected themselves senior woodsman/grandmaster and started advertising their services.

Yet having said that, I'm still leery of centrally controlling governing bodies. There are literally tens of thousands of them across this country, mostly expensive quangos of one form or another, and their net contribution to their field, and the nations prosperity as a whole, seems to be to reduce the money in their members pockets whilst creating jobs for senior managerial executives and muddying the intellectual waters with petty politicking that directly interferes with the activity they were set up to support and promote!

No thanks.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll

Having said all that, a quick look at any of the threads arguing about what is or isn't "Bushcraft" will soon illustrate that trying to formalise such a wide base of skills is somewhat like herding cats.

As such, I suspect that "Bushcraft" will always defy rationalisation and individual reputation will be the defining quality that determines which "schools" thrive and which ones fade away.

:lmao: herding cats..

Atellus

Jul 15, 2007
Warrington, Cheshire
Duncan, exactly right. A huge amount of stuff in the martial arts is just commercial fodder for the gullible West. We fall for it because, unlike Asia and the Orient were martial arts are embedded in the culture, we can't tell garbage from quality because we don't have that cultural familiarity with the subject. So we get quite a few opportunitists coming over from the East selling ideas like mysticism and voodoo powers that will turn you into Jet Li in just a few short months! These people are just capitalising on the Western desire to find the short-cut and our unhealthy emphasis on short term gain over long term achievement. So it's not surprising that we have a disturbing year on year increase in McDojos.

I was talking to a guy who trained to instruct Wushu Taolu at Beijing University. He said he asked his instructors about this problem and they laughed and told him that all the woo merchants go West to make their money while all the quality practitioners stay at home. That's quite a depressing thought.

I completely agree that the black belt is only the beginning, like your undergrad degree or any other form of basic subject-specific training is only the start. Then the real learning begins. I refered to the post-black belt stage as an apprenticeship in my earlier post. This is where you build on your basic foundation and learn the real skill that will set you apart from the amateurs.

Yet defining exactly at what point the black belt status in bush craft can be achieved is proving very difficult!

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
It's a bit like your driving test. You don't learn to drive, you learn to pass your test, after that the real learning begins. Same with just about anything I guess.

Yet defining exactly at what point the black belt status in bush craft can be achieved is proving very difficult!

thats a difficult one as its a very tall and broad subject as there are many differnt areas etc is a african bush man an expert well yes and no in africa he is in the arctic hes not. Even in England he would struggle etc so has a tall knowlege of an area but not a broad one.

so do you learn all you can about temperate zone UK (Tall / 4 Dan Black belt UK) or every way in the world of lighting a fire (broad / 50 Yellow belts)

In Technical Diving there are various schools and all ahve stds and instructor levels BUT its always good to find the right instructor regardless of his school this is only done by research and word of mouth there are some who have the same qualifications who i wouldnt snorkel with :lmao:

ATB

Duncan

McDojo! that has me rolling on the floor laughing my a$$ off. Up untill this point I struggled to describe the 'train for1 evening a week for 2 years and become a black belt' dojos, pardon me, academies, that are taking over from the guy that has spent all his life studying his art teaching a small class of people who really want to learn an art.

Anyway, the way of the bush, or should that be 'Bushydo?' can be likened to following the martial art of your choice. Yuo practise until you become good at what you do, then you don't care what colour the thing that holds your trousers up is, so long as you can hang your knife from it, and a handmade possibles pouch or two.

McDojo indeed...........

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
In bushcraft I do what I've done in Martial Arts - just wear a white belt and get on with my own training. Maybe one day I'll light the candle for others but after decades I'm still learning.

Cheers,

Broch

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
McDojo! that has me rolling on the floor laughing my a$$ off. Up untill this point I struggled to describe the 'train for1 evening a week for 2 years and become a black belt' dojos, pardon me, academies, that are taking over from the guy that has spent all his life studying his art teaching a small class of people who really want to learn an art.

I've heard that school of Martial Arts referred to as Bull-shido ;) .

My MA teacher always said that a black belt simply meant that you had learnt all the techniques, it's only then you start learning how to fight.

As has been said though bushcraft is way too big a subject to have any kind of grading, even hypothetically. Its more akin to the world of MA than any one individual art. Being a fourth dan in ju-jitsu doesn't mean you will be any good at kickboxing.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
I look forward to attending a freestyle tournament then :)

its easy to become a bushcraft instructor as the only qualifications you need are a first aid certificate and some insurance, there's plenty of so called schools out there run by guys who go off on someone elses course then copy teach it back to others.

there are no proper qualifications even if you've done st mawgan, lrrps school or a sere course and its been that way since before eddie magee set himself up or lofty wiseman. back in the 80's when it seemed every ex para was setting a school up.

I looked into it a few years back when I wanted to use my army stuff and the only way to do it officially was to take an outdoor pursuits instructor diploma which was two years and was really a leisure and tourism course with 2 skills you could take to instructor level like canoeing climbing or sailing with tasters in a few more. that gave the the initials OPC after your name and to teach survival you just did it. an ex friend of mine used to run a watersports outfit and I did a few survival sessions for him as a favour when he was struggling for bookings. that started when I used to help with the canoeing and raft building on large school groups or council organised sessions when we needed to fill the time in so I would cover the basics and expanded it from there so summer I would help with the outdoors stuff and winter he would come and fit kitchens with me. if I hadnt moved south then I might have kept it up, but I think he wound up in prison.

timboggle

Nomad
Nov 1, 2008
Hereford, UK
back in the 80's when it seemed every ex para was setting a school up.

.........at least they've applied the skills at some point in their lives mate, being able to instruct from personal experience rather than a text book.......big difference to instructors who have just undertaken a 'see monkey - do monkey' course and been handed a piece of paper that says well done, your now an instructor....I know which dojo I'd prefer !!

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
oh I agree I did my first aged 14 and 26 years ago at the ninpara survival school near whitby :)

still chuckle at the name and the instructor. nice bloke but his loft insulation was missing a roll or two.:rolleyes:

there were and are a lot of guys with good knowledge but who are crap at teaching, the good schools which do do an instructor course also insist that the candidates do a military style methods of instruction course so they at least have an idea.

Dodger

Oct 4, 2009
UK
..the good schools which do do an instructor course also insist that the candidates do a military style methods of instruction course...
That explains a lot! There's a distinct style of instructing favoured by NCOs, in which they refuse to impart any information about what's coming up and drip-feed everything to the students.

It might be the best way to teach raw teenaged recruits but it can be a little irritating if you're an adult.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE