Bivvying with Dogs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

thackstonii

Jan 16, 2007
Cambridge
Hi,

Anyone got advice about going for a bivvy with dogs? I used to bivvy with a goretex bivvy bag, but haven't been for a while. I want to start going again but now I have 2 dogs (labrador and a German wirehaired pointer).

The main concern I have is what to do with the dogs if it is lashing it down. Would a basha be enough for them? - if not, any suggestions. Or are dogs a pain in the butt and on a bivvy and best left at home?

Thanks in advancy for the advice!

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
labradors are shooting dogs and are quite tough so im sure he or she will be ok dont know about the other one though ???
leon

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
I have bivvyed with my hounds on many occasions . I use one of those giant corkscrew thingys to stop them from wandering off (although you could use a tree) . I put up a tarp and take a cut down kip mat to give a bit more comfort (although he does try and get in my sleeping bag if its really cold) . Best tip i can give is to make sure your dog can do a full circle without catching the lead on the tarp as this will get you a face full of rain water and could trash your tarp !
Pumbaa

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
As long as they can stay nice and dry they should be fine... I would also suggest a cheap foam kip mat as they will also get cold through the ground.

Expect them to eat more also, as their body will be working harder to keep them warm than at home.

Basically, I treat my dogs like a good friend, not a girlfriend :p

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I took my 18 month old stafy/lab cross with me to the peak district last weekend and she was a nightmare lol. She was fine in the day but when night came she could not settle at all and was constantly in an out my hammock.
I took her to the lakes not so long ago but i was using a small 2 man tent as i was with the missus and she was fine slept all night :D the dog that is lol.

I would just say give it a go the worst that will happen is you wont get much sleep.

Jackdaw

Just bought a kids sleeping bag for the lab and coupled with a cut down sleeping mat, it's enough for her. I would always have some way of getting the dog out of the wind and rain. Bashas work well, but I usually have to create a wind break to ensure her comfort. She also is up for getting stuffed into the sleeping bag and will generally stay there all night if it's cold. Daft mutt! :lmao:

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Dogs are much tougher than you think. If I can I make a bed out of bracken under the tarp and construct a roof if I can. I have a small terrier and often she ends up in my sleeping bag in any case. :)

I take my house pet Beagle camping in Ontario Canada - I haven't been winter camping with him yet - might not because I wonder about if he might get too cold... He never wanders far - despite what some say about Beagles... and cuddles up against me beside my sleeping bag for warmth on cool nights. My only concern is if he attracts a bear and runs back to me with said bear in tow...

I regulalry take my dog camping/canoeing with me (Collie cross) and I find that if you have plenty insulation underneath-enough for you and the dogs, they will lie next to you. I usually unzip my sleeping bag and use it like a big quilt and my dog huddles underneath, the only problem being is that you really need to de tick your dog before sleep time!

The last time I went camping with my dog, I bought a cheap sleeping bag from a second hand shop and Broc my dog used that!

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
I just picked up one off Evilbay for £15 , Its not the biggest , but i thought it was worth trying before forking out for a proper one . At least this way i get to make sure that my dog is happy to wear it .
This is the one i got
red one

But this one looks more usefull
green one
Its just too small for my wee beasty
Pumbaa

B

bushyboo

we take my brothers german shepard with us but its only been in a tent
she seems quite happy on an old army down filled sleeping bag dunno about under a tarp but we will find out this year coz we have both got hammocks now :)

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
dommyracer said:
Do they make rucksacks for dogs to carry their sleeping bags and kipmats in?

I smell a gap in the market

I saw this another way. I have a small Cairn Terrier and she is often in my rucksack, especially if we are walking through long heather. :lmao:

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
leon-b said:
labradors are shooting dogs and are quite tough so im sure he or she will be ok dont know about the other one though ???
leon

If the lab is ok, the wire haired should be as well. They're hunting dogs as well Leon. (They gorgeous as well!)

I've considered taking my Weimaraner bushcrafting but she's too young at the moment. When she gets a bit older and I know what she can cope with then she'll be with me a lot. It's the same with the panniers - at the moment she would spend all her time trying to bite them! :lmao:
Me and the girlfriend have shared a tent with her before - she snuggled in between us then kept waking us up when she was chasing rabbits in her sleep! :rolleyes:

I'm surprised no one has put up a picture of their monsters....

Ruby:

Ruby25122006.jpg

B

bushyboo

heres a photo of my brothers dog koni having fun at loch awe last year
STA70239.jpg

AndyW

Nomad
Nov 12, 2006
Essex
Well I think it'll be a while before my Weimaraners are under a Tarp with me. Far too lively :D

A tent? I'll try that this year. It's been interesting in a caravan with them a couple of times but I'm game for a laugh :p

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
There's a couple of old threads that you might find interesting to look through.

I took my old GSD out bivvi'ing a lot and he was fine...slept on the floor away from my basha on a tie out line regardless of weather. Unfortunately he died last July and my new GSD puppy is only 6 months old so won't be out overnght until the summer comes...after that he'll be there all the time :D

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=4066&highlight=samson

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=4184&highlight=samson

Here's a few pics of my old dog to give you an idea:

basha.jpg

That's pretty much where he slept the whole night and he was normally that far away so he could see the whole camp and therefore guard it properly.

and him in his doggy bergan:

DSC00004.jpg

DSC00006.jpg

Cheers,

Bam. :D

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
I always take my 2 Whippets with me when camping. I got an old sleeping bag from a charity shop and they use that to kip in, although they usually want to get in with me, which is great when it's cold and everybody benifits.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE