Bivi/bivy bags

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SAS_MAN

Tenderfoot
Mar 2, 2008
highlands
I am looking for a good reliable bivi bag. I have about £50 give or take and was wondering what I should go for.

Jack Wolfskin have one for £50 made from Texapore is this any good as it is quite light at only 590g. There are army ones but i heard they weigh lots is this true (if not then how much do they weigh). Alpkit has one as well are but they breathable enough.

Please tell me which one i should go for as I don't have a clue. Also which is should I go for weight or breathability. Is breathability a problem or should I just accept that I will get wet.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
The British & Dutch Army ones don't weigh alot at all I've used them for years with no problems. Unless of course your into the ultralight weight gear. You can't go wrong with them. The dutch ones are a bit more roomier than the British ones.

Bozle

Tenderfoot
Jun 19, 2006
Kent
The British army surplus bags are an even kilo but are very roomy- perfect for multidays stays. I can also recommend the old style Rab survival zone at the £50 mark-390g. (apparently theres a new material used, but I don't know how much this affects things.)

Heres a review of the JW bag
http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/review...AG/rcn/12/rgn/11/v/1/sp/332535698638344356664

I've never used any of their kit but they strike me as an travel brand rather than a purely technical brand e.g. their one man tarp tent weighs 2.3 kg but they seem to be the only company that produces zip off trousers that that zip off to a decent length.

Investing in a tarp can be a good idea for more living room, the lighter/smaller bivi bags are more like water proof sleeping bag covers and a close cut that keeps insulation next to the body (bad for the summer, or for using one sleeping bag for the whole year.)

Breathability for Pertex, Goretex and Event are all very good for bivi bags you shouldn't get more than a thin film of water even in heavy rain, thought I'd stay away from own brand materials after using a lightweight highlander bag.

Hope you find some of this useful.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Military ones are roomier and take a pasting.
You'll have to pander to others and basically they're the same size as your bag.

Get a military one if it's going to be used a lot,if caught out w/out other shelter,then you've room to store gear too.
And if it needs replaced pick up another for c. £25.
That's all you need to pay at markets or haggling at a surplus shop, they're overpriced on e-bay.

irishlostboy

Nomad
Dec 3, 2007
Eire
ya, i am adding my vote on the army surplus bags. the french, british and american ones i have encountered are bullet proof. the dutch ones can be a little rough for my liking, at least the ones i have encountered. they didn't have a sturdy enough seal over the zip.
there is tons of info on tarps and bivy bags all over these forums.

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
On the lightweight front, the ALpkit hunka is hard to beat at £25 and 300g. It's snugger than the army one and obviously a bit less robust, but a great bit of kit. Breathable and waterproof.

leon-1

On the lightweight front, the ALpkit hunka is hard to beat at £25 and 300g. It's snugger than the army one and obviously a bit less robust, but a great bit of kit. Breathable and waterproof.

Yes, I couldn't agree more and despite having military bivvy bags I don't use them any more just because I always use the Hunka.

Bozle said:
Heres a review of the JW bag
http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/review/...98638344356664

I've never used any of their kit but they strike me as an travel brand rather than a purely technical brand e.g. their one man tarp tent weighs 2.3 kg but they seem to be the only company that produces zip off trousers that that zip off to a decent length.

I have used Jack Wolfskin kit before, I have still got one of their daysacks and one of their watches, but I have used and owned tents, and clothing made by them as well. Generally it is very well thought out and constructed, but I have no experience of their bivvy bags.

bingobadgo

Jan 13, 2007
England
Is it true that the olive surplus bags are bigger than the dpm ones? I am also looking for a good source to get a cheap one, my local shop doesnt have any.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE