bivi bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Can anyone post a Picture of this Bivvy or a link to a site selling one. I have been looking around and have seen maybe three or four different looking bags.

I am not sure if they are different models for different times or they are just incorrectly discribed by the retailers. I having the same problem with the Sleeping bags all do I am swaying more towards a Snugpak at present.

Thanks in advance.
James

PEDRO

Jan 26, 2004
NORTH YORKSHIRE
jamesdevine said:
Can anyone post a Picture of this Bivvy or a link to a site selling one. I have been looking around and have seen maybe three or four different looking bags.

I am not sure if they are different models for different times or they are just incorrectly discribed by the retailers. I having the same problem with the Sleeping bags all do I am swaying more towards a Snugpak at present.

Thanks in advance.
James
snugpack bags are tight but good quality...Im 6'2" and 17 stone i think I need a extra panel :lol:

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Thanks for that Rich. At least now I known what I am looking for. I have to keep on looking to get one for that price some where else.

Boaty Thanks for the info on the Snugpak. I'm only an average 5.9 but I might be able to get a loan of one try out before I buy.

Thanks again

PS Whos the man???(should I ask that)

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Shhh Chopper :wink: :wink: :wink:
Stuart (Kellam) has a cool little snugpak bivvi bag, packs down to pocket size and is very waterproof though not breathable. I fancy one.
I got my goretex bivvy from an army surplus stall at Machynlleth wednesday market for about £30 if i recall.
Cheers
Rich

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I too am looking for a bivi. They seem to run about £50 give or take a bit for the army models. I really would rather have one that has a zip down the side, but most sites don't differentiate between those with and without zips.

How much difference does the "breathable" bit make? The only time I have been in a bivi, it was meant to be breathable, but the sleeping bag still got damp from condensation.

Chris

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
I heard that the reason that the military got rid of the zipped type bivvy bag was that it leaked ... :shock: ... which kinda cancels out the breathability factor!

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Stuart (Kellam) has a cool little snugpak bivvi bag, packs down to pocket size and is very waterproof though not breathable.
It is breathable as far as I know. It is made from pertex 5 with a breathable coating applied..... much like the one made by sass.

:)
Ed

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
So what is the spec on yours Stuart? I was very impressed with the size it packed down to. But surely its not breathable?
Cheers
Rich

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
just the other day saw a cheap bivi bag in Decathalon, about 20sov's, said on the packaging that it was 100% polyamide with a water resistant coating, in other words pertex with a water resistant coating i think. doesn't look very beefy though. might be worth a dig, oh its OG, so if you want to vanish into the grass it would be ok.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
doesn't look very beefy though.
No they don't, but they tend to be ultra-light (less than half the weight of a gortex bag) and pack down small enough to fit into a pocket. The only thing I'd be worried about is the 'Water resistant' coating..... is it breathable? and is it water-resistant or fully waterproof? If its only water resistant, designed to shed a minimal amout of water, then it'll probably be fine for the odd slash back of rain while sleeping under a hootchie but I wouldn't want to sleep in one in heavy rain without a top cover.

:)
Ed

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
Roving Rich said:
So what is the spec on yours Stuart? I was very impressed with the size it packed down to. But surely its not breathable?
Cheers
Rich

Hi Rich I really have no idea where mine was manufactured but its a copy of the one sold by SASS (but not anywhere near as breathable as the SASS one) , If you want one i highly recommend the SASS one which is the same size, and yes breathable

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE