Bit windy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
went sailing yesterday, force 7, boom broke

I was out on the firth of forth (force 7) in our rib yesterday right under the bridges where the wind and the waves get funneled in the narrows , had a really great time and got totally soaked , roller coasters are tame in comparison !

Xc weather is a good site that a lot of sailors use to give an idea of the wind and weather.http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

Craig............

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I wonder how much energy could have been gathered recently if we had the technology to harness it, wind turbines are shut down in strong winds I think ?

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I wonder how much energy could have been gathered recently if we had the technology to harness it, wind turbines are shut down in strong winds I think ?

IIRC Scotland gets about 40% of the entire wind energy that Europe sees. Unfortunately, as you're seeing, it tends to happen all at once.

The problem isn't really converting the energy, we can do that OK. Even if we converted all that wind energy (and you can't do that, physics limits you to about ten percent of it at best), nobody would want it all at once like that. The real problem is storing it.

Even in these days of high-fallutin' quad core processors, the best we can really do to store large quantities of energy is to pump water up a hill, and then when we want the energy back we let it run back down again.

"That sucks" you might say. Well it surely does.

Yes, they do shut turbines down when the wind exceeds their design ratings. If they didn't, the wind would destroy them. The power in the wind is proportional to the cube of the wind speed. So if you design a turbine to produce its maximum rated output of one megawatt at, say, 20 knots (quite a stiff breeze which you don't get for much of the time, even in Scotland, and certainly not enough to warrant basing the turbine specs on it) then at eighty knots your turbine would be producing sixty-four megawatts which would blow it to kingdom come if you let it even try. That's quite apart from considering things like tower, blade and bearing loads, blade flexing, vibration modes etc.etc.

It's a nice idea, and it's a small contribution, but basically wind power isn't the answer. I think it's more a political statement than a real attempt to solve any energy problems but I guess the moderators will step in if we go any further down that route...

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Seems like a good day to revive this thread.

Its a tad breezy where I am down south, and the horizontal rain adds to the fun. Dave53 and I are going for a country walk this afternoon, fools that we are.

Be safe all.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Weve got the school closed at midday(misses just off to get kids) a windturbine that's brakes have failed and is breaking itself up,causing a road into village,and my misses main route to work closed,and ive just found a broke roof tile that's causing a leak into our bedroom,and the main 100mph winds are'nt meant to start till later on!

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
Dave53 and I are going for a country walk this afternoon, fools that we are.
Today's forecast is for 80mph and a high risk of being blown off your feet! But the mountain forecast says the wind will drop to around 20mph in the Beacons tomorrow night.

Thank God!

Tomorrow night I'm going to be stuck somewhere in the Beacons above the Storey Arms dressed as Santa with a couple of hairy ar*ed MRT guys dressed as elves. No, it's not some wierd fetish thing! The joys of the team Christmas training weekend. Lets hope they get to us before 1am Saturday morning or I'm going to drink all the port and eat all the chocolate Christmas trees we're taking up on the hill for them. Then they'll have to carry me off :)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE