Bison Belts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leon-1

Right this is the first of three with this style buckle and loop.
bisonbelt1oa3.jpg

The belt is as per normal Bison Hide, the fittings are solid brass and they are totally hand made. This one is punched from 36 inches to 42 inches. The belt is 1.5 inches wide and approx 3.5 - 4mm thick.

I would like £40 for the belt. Shipping will cost first class signed for £2.54 or RMSD £4.75.

If anyone has a specific size that they want PM me.

leon-1

thats a lot cash for a belt?

Yes, it's a lot of import duty on the hide apart from anything else mate. I am trying to think what customs class it as, but effectively they class it as an indulgence.

Most places that I can get Bison hide from the UK charge even more than it costs to import it, but I actually think it's worth it in the end. The belts are hand stitched, each line is at least double stitched 18/3 linen or tiger thread and the fittings are solid brass.

Each belt is then measured, cut punched and edged by hand. When I finish that I hand wax them. One belt can take the better part of a day. So that effectively means you are working for around £5 an hour before you take the cost of materials out of it. After that you start working for a lot less.

jasons

Settler
Jan 15, 2006
Tain Scotland
Yes, it's a lot of import duty on the hide apart from anything else mate. I am trying to think what customs class it as, but effectively they class it as an indulgence.

Most places that I can get Bison hide from the UK charge even more than it costs to import it, but I actually think it's worth it in the end. The belts are hand stitched, each line is at least double stitched 18/3 linen or tiger thread and the fittings are solid brass.

Each belt is then measured, cut punched and edged by hand. When I finish that I hand wax them. One belt can take the better part of a day. So that effectively means you are working for around £5 an hour before you take the cost of materials out of it. After that you start working for a lot less.
I see thanks

leon-1

I see thanks

No problems mate, it is a relevant question.

Look at it this way, you can buy a belt which is 2mm veg tanned from one of the schools for a snap at £36. It's hand made meaning that someone has run it through a sewing machine and used a buffer on it. It is probably cut on a jig and it comes in 2 sizes.

This is approx 4mm veg tanned (having just taken a vernier to it), it is stitched by hand and you can have it cut to whatever length I have the ability to cut to, which is dependant upon the length of strap that I can procure. It is not cowhide, it is Bison and although they may not seem too far apart the hides do have a considerably different feel.

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
I can attest to the quality and durability of these belts. Its an investment that will last for decades of use. I love the buckles and the brass belt loop (which is often leather).

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
This seems to be coming up a lot here.

I've been asked for quotes on sheathes and then subsequently ignored. It's a similar point to the one made over the maxped rip offs.

Quality workmanship takes time and it takes pride. Things like this are built to last, the sad fact is we are not programmed any longer to appreciate this. As a nation we shop in Primark for as little as possible so we can change things again when the whim takes us. We expect to know nothing of the start of the life of the product. Sad really - I'm not pointing at you Jason at all, please don't get me wrong.

If you want to buy a bonded leather belt from the supermarket for £4 then you can, you'll buy another next year or the year after.

Buy this and the dye will still be on the makers finger, masking the blisters from the needle as he held it, every eigth of an inch will be checked to ensure it's OK to go.
Each Christmas day for the next twenty years you'll have to loosen a notch from the groove it's worn, there will a slight polish from where your knife or SAK normally sits on your hip. Then, just as you retire the leather will eventually crack from all the years of sweating as you gathered your firewood. You'll email Leon in the hope he still makes them and know that you won't wear this one out, but your grandson will wear it three irritating notches further in when you've gone.

£40 ain't a lot of money really, think how much of a sore head you'd have for the same amount.

Sorry, getting all philosophical in my old age. I'm proud that here at least we seem to value this quality and skill. It's probably the main reason I'm always watching this thread, I often have my self stopped short at the skill shown.

leon-1

This seems to be coming up a lot here.

I've been asked for quotes on sheathes and then subsequently ignored. It's a similar point to the one made over the maxped rip offs.

Quality workmanship takes time and it takes pride. Things like this are built to last, the sad fact is we are not programmed any longer to appreciate this. As a nation we shop in Primark for as little as possible so we can change things again when the whim takes us. We expect to know nothing of the start of the life of the product. Sad really - I'm not pointing at you Jason at all, please don't get me wrong.

If you want to buy a bonded leather belt from the supermarket for £4 then you can, you'll buy another next year or the year after.

Buy this and the dye will still be on the makers finger, masking the blisters from the needle as he held it, every eigth of an inch will be checked to ensure it's OK to go.
Each Christmas day for the next twenty years you'll have to loosen a notch from the groove it's worn, there will a slight polish from where your knife or SAK normally sits on your hip. Then, just as you retire the leather will eventually crack from all the years of sweating as you gathered your firewood. You'll email Leon in the hope he still makes them and know that you won't wear this one out, but your grandson will wear it three irritating notches further in when you've gone.

£40 ain't a lot of money really, think how much of a sore head you'd have for the same amount.

Sorry, getting all philosophical in my old age. I'm proud that here at least we seem to value this quality and skill. It's probably the main reason I'm always watching this thread, I often have my self stopped short at the skill shown.

Thanks Rich, that's very similar in many ways to what someone else said about them, his actual comment was "I wouldn't sell them as they are a belt for life and there is no repeat custom."

Thanks for looking everyone that's the last of this batch gone.

I have a couple with west end buckles I may be able to get up for later in the week.

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
thats a lot cash for a belt?

And a post like that is rather rude :(

I don't make belts now for the simple reason that there is so much work involved in them, last one i made was ALMOST 2 days solid work, double stitching right around the entire belt.
You can buy a leather belt from a market stall for £5 BUT IT IS NOT THE SAME THING.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE