Birth of an adder

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
That is a seriously stunning series of photos - I didn't know they were viviparous so I have learned something as well as seeing stunning photos - thank you!

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Thank you Elen. Blasted awkward site to move around actually. It was mainly 4-5 feet high vegetation. Difficult site.

Greensurfingbear I'm almost taken aback at your suggestion of contacting magazines about these. I'm very flattered, and have no idea where to begin. I'll look into this though.

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Thank you Elen. Blasted awkward site to move around actually. It was mainly 4-5 feet high vegetation. Difficult site.

Greensurfingbear I'm almost taken aback at your suggestion of contacting magazines about these. I'm very flattered, and have no idea where to begin. I'll look into this though.

Oooo yes, you should try some mags with those shots, definitely.

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)

Mate I'm totally serious I've been working outdoors/rangering for over 15 years and I've only seen adders a dozen times and never giving birth! Like I said I'd be honoured to have them on a public display board in my visitor centre.

Orric

andyc54

Settler
Dec 28, 2010
durham
The pictures need to be out there it has to be the best post ive seen on the forum by a mile just amazed im sure organisations and publications would que up for them and great idea for your visitors centre orric.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
hi mike excellent photos you should try the wildlife mags you never know i know you don't like to much attentoin but those photos are to good not to share regards dave

Turnstone

Nomad
Apr 9, 2013
Germany
Thanks for sharing this wonderful experience with us!

I have never seen an adder, that alone would make me happy. But this is really special!

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Brilliant HM, I've seen quite a few vipers , even saw one on a coastal path in Brittany a few days ago but I've never seen them giving birth......fantastic photos, absolutely remarkable.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Sorry I got in late to the discussion. Nice one mate, that is seriously rare unless you do it for a living ;) And even then, after 27 years, I have only seen it about 15 times. They tend to give birth under cover and rarely in the open like that, which makes it an even more rare an encounter.

The most individuals I've ever encountered being born is 17, around 8 to 10 is more usual. But they can go as high as 20.

To answer your PM, My bet is on that individual being a female due to it's lighter and less prominent flank barring. But it's difficult to tell at that age, so I can only be about 70% sure. 90% in this case as the markings are very light in that area.

Possibly a good thing you didn't pick it up. Although they look cute at that minute, they are pre-programmed for defence and are fully venom equipped. Even more so, as it has become more potent the longer it has been unused. there is also excellent evidence that neonates like that have a higher potency than the adults due to the lower yield. I was hospitalised for a week from one bite with just one fang penetrating. The pain was intense. They are also far more difficult to control than the larger versions and can twist and strike very quickly.

Well done though, for an arachnologist, that's pretty impressive.

If you get the chance again, follow the female. They are easily followed in that condition and you would see the others being born.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Quite right of course ....now you have linked I remember that. Old age indeed - knowing and recalling are no longer the same thing Fred err George.....

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Quite right of course ....now you have linked I remember that. Old age indeed - knowing and recalling are no longer the same thing Fred err George.....

Hah, don't worry BR, I'm more shocked by Insect-Boy getting some decent rare shots of a rare adder occurrence.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I'd have loved to follow the female for more pictures, but I'd have needed a brushcutter. That site is seriously impenetrable in places, and the vegetation was over my head at times.

Your turn now, worm-boy. Show me the rare spiders ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE