Birth of an adder

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I was invited by some colleagues to visit the site of Llanmelin Hillfort, in Monmouthshire, with a view to seeing what spiders I could find. The site was a hidden gem, which I had driven past many times without realising it was there, as it is completely enclosed by trees.

As I was wandering along one of the hillfort ridges, I spotted an adder. This was delightful as I had only previously seen adders twice. She was close enough that I would have stepped on her in another stride, and I wondered why she hadn't moved away at my approach, so I looked closer.

9603742803_ba4d18660a_b.jpg

She was giving birth! No wonder she couldn't move. Not everyone realises that adders (and several other snakes) give birth to live young. This female was at least 2 feet long by my estimate, although I couldn't see her head.

9603726859_e6dfd229f7_b.jpg

Baby got his head free and had a first look at the world.

9606958460_b4b362bb48_b.jpg

Mum clearly knew I was there, because as soon as baby was free, she slid off into the undergrowth, leaving me to admire youngster for a bit longer.

9606954750_d3a4abf025_b.jpg

Junior stayed put for a while before slipping out of the birth membranes and into the grass. It was a wonderful encounter for me and I just had to share it. :cool:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Result there HM... some cracking shots of it as well :)

Shame you've already done your entry into this months photo comp, it would have been a real contender :cool:

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Niels, I'm starting to think you are stalking me! You almost always post first on my new threads, usually within a minute or so!

You are making me nervous :p

Seriously, thanks for the comments :D

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Niels, I'm starting to think you are stalking me! You almost always post first on my new threads, usually within a minute or so!

You are making me nervous :p

It's your fault. Each time I go and look at the new threads, you immediately post a new one! :rolleyes:

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
That's one of the most incredible photos I've seen - I don't think I've ever seen an adder, let alone one giving birth!

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I really wanted to pick the baby up and hold it, but I didn't want to risk stressing or damaging it, or any possibility that my sweat etc would harm it, so I left it alone. Best to be safe. I love the last picture best. That baby snake had been born about a minute previously, but it looks determined and purposeful. Obviously one day it will be a large and fearsome adder, the terror of the grasses :D

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Absolute stunner! I'd consider a photo like that to be a once-in-a-lifetime thing had I been fortunate enough to witness the event; for most, I suspect, the event alone would be never to b e forgotten..............

Very well done indeed to have the presence of mind to have got such good pictures, and thanks for sharing.............atb mac

chimpy leon

Jul 29, 2013
staffordshire
I cant imagine how lucky you must have to be to witness this take place in the wild... And to have a camera with you!

Brilliant pictures they are too. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE