Birth of an adder

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Great shoots Mate , something not seen by many, your very privileged to see that.. thank for sharing

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That's the kind of good fortune that sticks with you :D Right place, right time, right mindset :cool:

Thank you so much for sharing such very special event :approve:

cheers,
Toddy

P

Passer

Stunning pics, a case of right man, right place:)
How highly do you rank these pics on a personal level.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
If I multi-quote we will be here all week, so...

Thanks to everyone who has posted so far. I'm glad my good fortune has been enjoyed by so many other people. Absolutely a once in a lifetime experience, and it absolutely blew my mind. I still can't believe I was that lucky, and had the camera with me as well. :D

For those that asked, the little snakes (snakelets? snakelings?) are fully independent of mum as soon as they are born, and she leaves them to fend for themselves. I was hoping Jonathan D would drop by and tell us all more, since snakes don't really have enough legs to be my area of expertise.

I bet if I go back there for the next year or so I won't even see an adder. The site is really densely vegetated, and this was one of only a few patches of more exposed ground. On the other hand, adders like to bask, so now I know where to look.

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
Thats fantastic, seems very lucky to chance upon something like that! Do they only give birth to a single youngster (adderling ??;)) a year then?

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Thats fantastic, seems very lucky to chance upon something like that! Do they only give birth to a single youngster (adderling ??;)) a year then?

Typically more than one I believe, but having been disturbed the female would have wanted to seek a bit of shelter before producing another. There is nothing to suggest that the one I saw was the first baby, as they can disappear into the vegetation pretty quickly. We need Jon to tell us how many babies is typical, and how long it takes, although I could probably find out too if I look it up.

Got to say, I am so proud of these pictures, just because I saw it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE