Birch tree water

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Yeah, it appeared down here last year..................I've had a couple of litres over the past few days, just the tip of a knife a few mm upwards under the bark, a little splinter of Birch gently into the cut and away to go....
When I'm done I just tap the little slit closed and it's stopped flowing in less than a minute.

I must admit that the past few seasons I only take a little right at the start of the season, unless you're going to get into a major operation with boiling it down it's not really worth it.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Lots here. Birch sap/syrup commercial operations. Syrup has the same smoky taste as you smell from a birch wood fire.
Can be fermented into an absolutely skull-busting wine. Pain in a glass.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Lots here. Birch sap/syrup commercial operations. Syrup has the same smoky taste as you smell from a birch wood fire.
Can be fermented into an absolutely skull-busting wine. Pain in a glass.

You must be doing it wrong - I make it every year and it is mellow, easy drinking, floavoursome ... and STRONG - but no pain at all:)
Mind you I have never had a hangover - even when I really deserved one :)

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
They must have done something wrong. I accepted a sociably offered slurp.
The syrup always reminds me of years of smokey birch fires as a kid.

I always started with enough California grapes (maybe 1,200lbs?) to make
100gal/450l Zinfandel wine. That, I did do properly, every time.

Birch sap harvesting is a big deal here and the next 100 miles south.
The Boreal Forest biome gives way to the Aspen Parkland biome with a far greater % if birch trees in the mix.
British Columbia has more biogeoclimatic zones than all of the rest of Canada, put together.

Last edited:

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I checked - birch sap contains about 1% sugar, so the wine must surely be fairly low in alcohol?

Maybe there is another biproduct of the fermentation that brings out Mr Hyde in you, Robson V?

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
That's interesting. Never knew the sugar %. Birch syrup must use enormous volumes.

There are lots of fermentation products other than ethanol. Explains why all the fuss and bother for specific yeast varieties,
even for breads (aka 'sourdoughs.') Low yeast concentrations, overnight cool fermentations, poolish, all add significantly to the flavor
of artisan breads.

I'd pull a gallon of juice and make a started of burgundy yeast. That way, my yeast of choice could overwhelm any wild yeasts that made it past the sulfiting of the must.
Some yeasts even make methanol (CH3OH). Metabolize that, starting with pulling off a pair of hydrogens. HCHO is left. You all know that's formaldehyde.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
That is the pleasure drinking home brew!
Kind of Russian roulette, Bacchus style.
Will I wake up with a head ache, or will I wake up blind?

Yes, Wikipedia the All knowing Site, claims 1.1%

That's interesting. Never knew the sugar %. Birch syrup must use enormous volumes.

There are lots of fermentation products other than ethanol. Explains why all the fuss and bother for specific yeast varieties,
even for breads (aka 'sourdoughs.') Low yeast concentrations, overnight cool fermentations, poolish, all add significantly to the flavor
of artisan breads.

I'd pull a gallon of juice and make a started of burgundy yeast. That way, my yeast of choice could overwhelm any wild yeasts that made it past the sulfiting of the must.
Some yeasts even make methanol (CH3OH). Metabolize that, starting with pulling off a pair of hydrogens. HCHO is left. You all know that's formaldehyde.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I have the dregs of a bottle of "Sweet Tree" birch syrup, made in Quesnel, BC.
See my #11. The city of Quesnel is in the mixed edge of the Aspen Parkland.
I was going to tell you the % sugar. But, I read that these S.O.B's have added fructose sugar to the syrup.
I'll try to learn why. Have friends in the birch business, down there.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
No, I don't think so. I can believe that there aren't the strict regulations for birch syrup as there are for Canadian Maple Syrup.
Even so, the CMS is graded for sugar, color, clarity, taste and so on.
I can also believe that there are substances in the birch sap which carbonize at low temperatures to give the syrup a really "off" burnt taste and nose.

I've had birch syrup from the Russian Far East (Kabarovsk Krai) and it tasted no more "burnt" than the local stuff.

So it's a birch flavored sugar syrup. So is Aunt Jemima ("maple flavored") and every other pancake/waffle pseudo-syrup on the store shelf.
In the local Farmer's Market here, I can buy dandelion syrup and fireweed syrup, both a treat!

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Boiling at 100 degrees should not cause a carbonization?

I do not touch Aunt Jemima, Uncle Tom or Missi Shaniqua....or whatever these WMD's are called.....
Only pure Canuck dark Maple Syrup will pass my lips!

The main (only?) reason God created Canada! :)

Soon you will be able Cannabis Oil, together with Olive Oil and Rapeseed Oil...
People say it is excellent on a Tomato and Spring Onion salad. With a nicely well aged vinegar of course!

I wonder if the Birch Water at Asda is 100% pure or is it diluted with water?
Where are its origin?

Last edited:

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Lots of biomolecules self destruct at far lower temperatures that 100C boiling water. Hard-boiled eggs don't hatch.
I can kill most proteins at 60C or less, of even a sudden (and irreversable) drop in pH Ceviche?
Change the shape, change the function. Even the urea in urine is very effective afaoinst protein sting from jellies and coral polyps.

The birch water:
Might not even be Betula papyrifera. Maybe, it's a Russian import?
What's on the label? "Product of Xxxxx"

Canada #1 Fancy is for your table. Canada #4 is for cooking (sauces, marinades, glazes).
I admit to liking the #4 for the stronger taste.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
It would be interesting to know the origin. When the OP saw it was too early for UK, northern Europe and indeed Russia.
Unless it was pasteurized and last years tapping!

Yes, proteins coagulate at fairly low temp, but do not carbonize ( taste burnt). Maillard reaction, the best friend of every BBQing male!
Sugar carbonizes above 100 C.
Like when you make Caramel.

Lots of biomolecules self destruct at far lower temperatures that 100C boiling water. Hard-boiled eggs don't hatch.
I can kill most proteins at 60C or less, of even a sudden (and irreversable) drop in pH Ceviche?
Change the shape, change the function. Even the urea in urine is very effective afaoinst protein sting from jellies and coral polyps.

The birch water:
Might not even be Betula papyrifera. Maybe, it's a Russian import?
What's on the label? "Product of Xxxxx"

Canada #1 Fancy is for your table. Canada #4 is for cooking (sauces, marinades, glazes).
I admit to liking the #4 for the stronger taste.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE