Harvesting Birch Sap

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
Its getting near the time to tap birch trees and I want to re post this. I've looked into it and the method in the video is an equally productive and less damaging method of harvesting. This is how I will be doing it this year. Please watch.

Last edited:
Reactions: Woody girl

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
At this time of year I can be seen as a real tree hugger. I love listening to the sap running up the trees.

Birch sap wine is dangerous. A friend who was given some reported that there were two marks on his kitchen ceiling: one where the cork had hit it and one where he had hit it after taking a swig.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I've heard of this method. It may be a bit slower, I had no idea of the possible damage, being so bad. we are always told, done responsibly, it wont damage the tree, so thank you for posting this. I keep meaning to tap birch, but never get round to it... thank goodness I've hurt no trees so far!

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
You can sterilise your cutting tool with alcohol ;-)
I read that but I also read that that method is no without its problems. From what I can gather from my research the video is good practice and I read several sources that said the yield was not significantly less than tapping the trunk. I will try the new method this year and I will post my experiences. x .

Reactions: plastic-ninja
Dec 10, 2015
South Wales
The technique I have used in the past. I use the tip of my knife and lift a small section of bark. Just enough to fit a small twig under it. The sap drips off the twig into a bottle tied underneath. Once I’m finished I remove the twig and push the bark back down for a few seconds. The sap sticks it back together.

Reactions: GreyCat and nigelp

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
The technique I have used in the past. I use the tip of my knife and lift a small section of bark. Just enough to fit a small twig under it. The sap drips off the twig into a bottle tied underneath. Once I’m finished I remove the twig and push the bark back down for a few seconds. The sap sticks it back together.
Do you get a decent amount with that very interesting technique? x

Dec 10, 2015
South Wales
Yes. I used to fill a few bottles between a couple of trees. I think the flow rate will be similar to any other technique as it’s the only area the sap is going to be coming out.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE