Birch tree Sap

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
richeadon i have seen rays mears four seasons (its a great program) i just wanted to know if i could do it this time of the year but it seems i will have to wait till next spring
leon

Angus Og

Nov 6, 2004
Glasgow
Just been sitting here looking out the window and what do I see in the garden a birch tree. :eek: So thought I might as well have a look on the front as well and yep theres some across the road. :rolleyes:
Amazing what you can find if you just sit back and let all the details sink in.

Looks like I don't have far to get some sap next spring. :D

Also had a look on ebay for something to tap the sap with and found this a Scotch Eyed Auger Drill Bit I bought one and got charged an extra £2.45 VAT :( , total £16.43 so be aware if you buy one.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
At this time of year it's not sap that's rising, but the liquid in the tree is drinkable.You don't need to brace and bit the tree just for the water just now *if* the tree is sitting with good water at it roots. Nick upwards into the inner bark with a sharp knife and keep it open using a little twig wedge. The water ought to run fairly freely down the bark. There'll be somewhere on it's route where it'll drip off, position your cup under this and it'll fill up. Depends on how robust your immune system is I suppose ;)

Cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE