Birch tree Sap

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
P

Phantom

just thought i say that Birch tree sap tastes really nice and is quite a substantial drink although be careful to drink water as well !!

also what other saps are there that are good to drink and not poisonous :confused:

cheers

Phantom :BlueTeamE

p.s. always remember to plug the whole in the tree when you have finished so that the tree doesn't lose to much sap or get infected

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
sycamore is part of the maple family!
i've heard you can drink the sap but it's not as nice as birch.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
don't worry,
i didn't think you were, it's a sensible question i've been bushcrafting and survivaling for years and it's the first time i've heard someone say it. :)

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Apparently it's got quite a high sugar content so shouldn't be used as the only means of hydration I think is the point that Phantom is trying to make.

Matt.

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i havent tryed it yet but will soon
is there a season it has to be got in or can you get it in any season
leon

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Leon,

Best in the spring mate - the sap is really rising then. I took photos of tapping one at LS's site last spring - I can bung some up if you want?

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
leon-b said:
yes please i would love to see photos
leon

Here you go buddy (nicked it from another site where I posted it first). I've seen other people use all sorts of clever gear like rubber tubing etc. - me - I'm a simple bloke.

Well given the time of the year, we decided to tap a birch tree for spring sap....

Not too many photos but these might interest someone....

First, make your hole...ours was done with a brace and bit, however you could easily use a sharp knife tip. The hole we made was about half an inch in diameter and angled slightly upwards into the tree - this helps the sap to flow out and down.

Next take a 4" straight section of branch. Taper the end to be inserted into the tree to ensure a tight fit. Groove a deep gutter along the top with your knife tip and cut a notch towards the outer end of the gutter to stop the string falling off when you hang your collecting jar off the gutter. The gutter was tapped firmly in place with an axe poll.

Drips formed almost straight away

We used a 750ml olive jar. We tied a kite string handle around it to suspend it from the gutter.

This is the finished "rig". The drips came fast - imaging the speed of a fairly fast dripping tap. The jar was filled to the brim in less than 12 hours

Last job was to whittle a solid plug, remove the gutter and hammer the plug in with the poll of an axe to plug the tree - no harm done to the tree!

Hope that helps

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Alex,

I've not tried other than in the spring - I'll pass on answering mate - anyone know?

Red

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I don't think you should be tapping birch now, only in the spring. This is when the sap is really pumped through the tree as it wakes up from winter. If the tree was full of sap during winter, I'd imagine it could freeze and the tree would get damaged, so it goes to sleep! This time of year, the sap won't be as vigorous as it is during spring, so I would suggest waiting until next spring. I thought it tasted of slightly sugary water, both my daughter and I tried it lasy year, but I missed this year because I was in Iraq.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE