Birch Tapping Drill - sources for equipment?

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
though these little darlings are a bit of a cheat. I bought some short auger bits, forged the tangs flat and then re-heat treated them (they now hold an edge and aren't file-sharpenable). I played with various ways of making the bits from scratch and they were all either inefficient in use or were such a pain to make that it wasn't economical :rolleyes:

Ooooh you tease! - the more I looked at them the more I began to wonder if they were pre-made and adapted to give the square taper for the handle - so perhaps i'm not as green as I thought I was :D

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
I prefer to get my sap on tap ;)

IMGP2942-1.jpg

:lmao::lmao:goodjob

Now that is brilliant!!

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I'm guessing that might be a sycamore (not a tree I'm very familiar with), coz otherwise I would swear that you are trying to tap an ash tree! :D

I'd thought of doing that myself but didn't know if it would work. Mind you, I had beer barrel taps in mind

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
I'm guessing that might be a sycamore (not a tree I'm very familiar with), coz otherwise I would swear that you are trying to tap an ash tree! :D

I'd thought of doing that myself but didn't know if it would work. Mind you, I had beer barrel taps in mind

Norway Maple....which, lets face it....is so similar to Sycamore.

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
auger bits 'pull' themselves into the wood.... all you need to provide is gentle pressure and rotation

flat bits are fine in power tools but you have to provide pressure as well as rotation to cut the hole.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE