Birch Tapping Drill - sources for equipment?

Feb 27, 2008
Cambridge
As the title says! Its nearly birch tapping time and I want to have my first go. Are there any sources for drills that can be used? I guess I am looking for a drill bit with hoop to run a wood rod through as a turning handle.

I have used the search and didn't find much but quite surprised its not mentioned?

If there are easier, lighter alternatives that would be good to know also.

Is this the right time for maple and other edible sap producers too?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
You want a scotch eyed auger mate, bang it in google and you should find something. There was a few on ebay last time I looked, there could be some in the classifieds on here too.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I make these little things up if it's of interest ;)
1" auger that fits into a wooden handle. Light thana great big scotch eyed thingy. I've been meaning to make up the complete kit with tubing and what not.

birchtapper1.jpg
birchtapper2.jpg

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
yeah i'd definately be interested in one of them my scotch eyed auger is far too long to be convenient

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Last edited:

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I got a couple of old 4mm ones from a boot market.
They are many years old, should do the job just fine.

Thoth

Nomad
Aug 5, 2008
Hertford, Hertfordshire
I bought a 1" scotch eyed auger from ebay a few weeks ago. War Dept 1950's stock Sheffield steel. Perfect nick - in the original packaging. Five quid delivered. There are seemingly lots available, you just need to look.

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
I disagree with sticking a massive hole into the tree. I use a smaller drill and a piece of plastic tubing. I think it is much easier to plug the smaller holes effectively.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
hi dave 53 here my1" scotch auger arrived yesterday so i went up the woods across the road from me to try it out success got about a glass full gave some to my next door neighbours 3 year old he loved it get em young i say
regards dave

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
how on earth do you make the spiral bit bit Dave! :eek: :You_Rock_

by making a flat one and twisting it ;) I made a longer auger from scratch a while back as a technical challenge to myself. It worked but I won't do it again :D I've made a few simple lip and spur bits and spoon bits on occasion too (spade bits are just too easy to make, so I've not bothered.

though these little darlings are a bit of a cheat. I bought some short auger bits, forged the tangs flat and then re-heat treated them (they now hold an edge and aren't file-sharpenable). I played with various ways of making the bits from scratch and they were all either inefficient in use or were such a pain to make that it wasn't economical :rolleyes:

I tried the small hole and plastic tubing thing and while I agree a small hole is much nicer to the tree, it is slower to fill a bottle and I found it impossible to get a really good seal, so lost some sap down the tree :( Maybe a rubber hose would be better then? At the moment I have demijohn bungs and plastic tube that work with the 1" augers ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE