Bimbling with Dietary Requirements?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Settler
Aug 8, 2010
here
what about kebabs with salad sauce?

1291412401_dcbc7ea8d7.jpg

pan fry it, or on metal skewers over the fire. really its all about the marinade. carry it in pre-prepped in a tupperware container. i mean if you cant drink you need to fill the camping time somehow...!

comeonbabylightmyfire

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 3, 2010
London
I suffer with varices and I found high strength Manuka Honey to be very effective at settling inflammation. Go for the highest strength you can afford and start the day with a spoonful. It worked for me, soothing away the reflux pain almost immediately. You can use it to heal cuts as well.

Holland & Barrett do a 20+ UMF by Comvita at £27.99 for 250g. Sainsburys sell a 15+ UMF version made by Rowse and it's about £12 for 340g.

I hope you get your stomach sorted, I know exactly what it's like.

Gagnrad

Forager
Jul 2, 2010
South East
... not tried soya/tofu yet but it was one of my faves especially in miso.

Then perhaps don't start—specially bearing in mind your stomach problems. Miso's different: it's fermented, which renders it more digestible. Contrary to industry propaganda—we're talking absurdly wealthy agribusiness here—people in Asia don't eat that much soy and traditionally tend to ferment it. This is because of the "antinutrients" it contains. Google this for more information:

soy antinutrients

Also, did you know Buddhist monks used to eat it to curb their sexual urges? It contains phyto-oestrogens—plant componuds that resemble female sex-hormone. Does that sounds like a good deal? Google:

soy phytoestrogens

(U.S. spelling will get you more links.)

Same antinutrient deal goes for all pulses (although soy is the worst). Traditionally, these foodstuffs were soaked for hours, lactic-fermented, and/or boiled for extended periods. That wasn't for nothing. Similar issues exist with cereal grains.

If you've got trouble with your stomach it's likely your gut flora is disturbed. Antibiotic use, and a few other things, can do that. It's a helluva problem—and not just for humans:

Cellular and humoral immunodepression in vultures feeding upon medicated livestock carrion

http://rspb.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/276/1665/2307.full.pdf

I'd definitely seek medical advice, but in the meantime a good quality probiotic can't do any harm and will likely do some good. Lactic-fermented foods such as yoghurt and (real) sauerkraut can also help. Prebiotics might do, too:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prebiotic_(nutrition)

Gelatinous stocks and soups are also good. They're soothing to the stomach and help you to digest the flesh-foods you mention. Nowadays, people tend to eat too much muscle meat and miss the organ meats and the skin-and-bones (in broths or whatever). It's not a good thing.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
No-one seems to have mentioned seeds and nuts yet. Great sources of protein, and quite versatile. Best of all they are very filling and make good trail food. The only problem might be their very high fat content.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
i know about miso being fermented, hence why i haven't had any since being ill. (bummer) however i'm up for tofu, see what that does.
nuts and seeds are a good idea but i'm worried about the fat content and what it would do to me, again its on my to try list.
i'm plodding along atm, trying little bits of this and that and with luck i'll have an appointment for the nutritionist before long..

So i've got:
toasted oat porridge
Sweet potato/jacket potato
toasted corn
rice in buckets
small amount pasta
stock cubes
wild greens/veg
chicken, (squirrel and rabbit should be ok too)
bannock mix
rich tea biscuits

so far not so bad, egg and milk i've discovered are ok in moderation if with flour. not sure how that works but seems to be ok.
also marshmallow fluff, the american stuff? love it, doesn't set me off or anything :D
water wise i have my drinksafe bottle but i'm also going to get the inline filter for my camelback.
i'll let you know what else i goes down well once i try it. turns out i can also eat melon, as in honeydew so that with banana's is good.
its not all doom and gloom just a flippin big adjustment!
pete

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Sounds like you will be all right mate.

You should be ok on turkey if it's lean meat you can have.

All the best
Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE