Biltong

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nashy

Dec 30, 2012
Warrington
Hi all,

Anyone ever made their own billtong and made their own box for drying it in? If so do you have the measurements etc? I want to have a go but want to get it right! What recipe have you used for your seasoning?

Any tips greatly appreciated!

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
The thing is, it wold probably cost you £30 to make some thing similar and you get all the spices, vinegar etc

I've got no connection to the seller by the way....but I want one :p

Nashy

Dec 30, 2012
Warrington
You're probably right to be fair! I had been thinking about building a box but I suppose for that price it may not be worth it. Im not in the market for one immediately as Ive just spent a fair few quid on some new kit but in the not too distant future I may well treat myself!

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
You could always smoke some meat over a cool fire if you're out in the woods for an overnight...I tried it with some venison in Scotland a couple of years ago and it worked pretty well....

Nashy

Dec 30, 2012
Warrington
Ive actually just got a bbq / smoker / pizza oven for the garden so am going to give smoking a go too but really like biltong... may have to invest in a box in future!

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
I converted an old bed side table. Put a light bulb in the bottom and a thin shelf above with large holes in. Make something to hang the meat from at the top and put a door on it, simple. As for recipes there are loads on the net all depends on what u like to make.

Jackdaw

My experience of commercial biltong is that after making jerky from the nice parts of the cow, they then go and take the bits no respectable Englishman would put in his mouth and make biltong.

I love jerky, but avoid biltong as it takes like cow .... oh, you get the point.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Biltong is usually made from silverside which is what an Englishman eats when he has roast beef

That's what I've used in the past, tried various methods and spicing tastes, some were more palatable than others, the best result I had was from an old microwave, strip out the guts and put in a batten lamp holder with a low wattage lamp with extra holes drilled for air intake and exhaust.

Aussiepom

Forager
Jun 17, 2008
Mudgee, NSW
Hi Nashy,

Biltong and jerky should both be made from quality cuts of meat, not old scraps.

I use a home made frame these days, (essentially an old plastic storage box with the top and sides cut out), but I used to just use old baking grills: Get 5 from a second hand store or wherever - your partner may have some already. They don't need to be all the same size, but it will help if you can get the 'lid' or 'top' to sit approximately level. Just sellotape or wire them together to make 3 sides and a top. Leave the front open at this stage to gain access. Place this 3 sided 'box' on some foil or something else that will catch the drips.

Prepare the pieces of meat and hang them vertically from the top mesh using paper clips bent into hooks. Hang them far enough apart so that they don't touch if they sway a bit.

Now lean the front in place to close off the box. Next is to hang some old net curtain, or a mossie net or whatever over the box to keep flies off. This will fill any gaps resulting from using odd sized grills. There is no heat source required, just good air flow. It can take several days to dry out, but it depends on conditions and whether you like your biltong 'wet' or 'dry' or of course 'medium'. The dryer you make it, the longer it will keep.

This method is cheap and best of all if you are tight on space, it can be easily dismantled and stored flat when not in use.

A very similar method that may suit you better, (and was how I did my very first attempt), is to make the frame out of 4 wine bottles and just 1 baking grill: 1 bottle at each corner and then rest the grill on top. You can tape it into place for a little more stability. Hang the mossie net over it and away you go.

Nearly forgot - there are a few more tips etc to know, especially if it's your first time. If you are at all interested in this traditional 'air-drying' method, PM me. Otherwise I'll save myself a bit of typing.

Either way, have fun.

Last edited:

bearbait

I've made jerky a number of times in the (electric) oven. I have the oven on very low and use an oven thermometer and have the oven door ajar to varying degrees to keep the temperature right in the oven, as you want to dry the meat rather than cook it. This I do before I put the meat in the oven! I only very lightly season it with salt and pepper as I wanted it as a food rather than a tasty snack. I suspend the strips of meat on cocktail sticks on the oven racks. A bit of googling will give you various safe temperatures/times for making jerky, along with numerous seasoning recipes.

I second the comment re using good quality meat for your jerky.

My experience of commercial biltong is that after making jerky from the nice parts of the cow, they then go and take the bits no respectable Englishman would put in his mouth and make biltong.

I love jerky, but avoid biltong as it takes like cow .... oh, you get the point.

I always thought that biltong was the Boer name for jerky. (And jerky is the anglicised form of the South American word charqui.) I've eaten African biltong from Kudu, amongst others, and it was very good.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE