Bill Hooks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

numpty

Feb 7, 2009
mansfield
Does any one use a bill hook in stead of an axe . Ive used a vintage double sided bill hook for years and to be honest if i had to choose one tool to take with me it would be a bill hook

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
depends on the job. If I'm splitting logs then I will always use an axe ;)

Most of my need to cut trees is either large (chainsaw) or small (branches, etc) where a billhook is easier to handle as well as being cleaner due to the blade thickness. Mind you, most of my 'bushcraft' is craft in the bush, so its a woodland tool used for woodland purposes

hiraeth

Settler
Jan 16, 2007
Port Talbot
I have a staffordshire billhook, and to be honest i wouldnt be without it. Does everything i ask and best of all i got it for free, got to get round to making a sheath for it now though.

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
I've inherited a billhook from mummy. It's heavily rusted, blunt and the handle's split so it's not in great shape but strikes me as an excellent tool. I'm considering getting a new one, though I haven't got a decent axe yet, either.

Any advice on what to look for on a billhoo?

Cheers,
Claudiasboris

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Things to look for on a billhook are a good maker for a start.Elwell,Morris,Bulldog,Parkes,...They come in many different shapes and sizes.See that theres no looseness in the handle and its good and tight.Carboot sales are a good source of these things and auction houses.You could try ebay but they seem to go for high prices?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE