Biker's AMAZING Christmas present (shown VERY late!)

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Just wanted to show off my Christmas present that I should have shown weeks ago but just never got around to it.

My best mate Paul is a seriously gifted woodworker and makes some amazing stuff. What started as a hobby has grown to become a bit more than just making stuff for his own pleasure. He now takes on commission work.

Check out his website

So just before Christmas 2012 I was in the UK and he and I were looking at some things to buy in a woodturners and craft shop when he asked me what I wanted for Christmas. (I'd just bought him a gift token for said shop) I noticed on the till was a block of wood with a series of holes in it to use as a sort of pen and pencil rack. So I said "Why not make me something like that." I had in my mind a glossy waxed piece of Oak or Mahogany with holes decoratively arranged in tiers for the various pens and pencils I use in my artwork.

Paul obviously had other ideas for this modest pen rack. I think you can call him a clever and talented sod. :lmao:

_wsb_700x371_DT01.jpg

He made those leaves as well. He's posted a tutorial of how it's done, as well as other work on his youtube channel

_wsb_700x575_DT02.jpg

The different sized holes are for the Bic biros, pen eraser, paper tapers and three different propellant pencils I use. The base is 9 x 4 inches.

_wsb_700x380_DT03.jpg

He'd already made a desk tidy in one of the challenges we'd set ourselves last year so the design is based on it.

Challenge+4-0001.jpg

The pen rack it as my elbow as I type this and it's GORGEOUS! So I just wanted to show it off to some people who would appreciate this sort of wood work.

Thanks for reading.

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke
That is so cool . I've carved 2 shrooms while learning to carve . I think carving them can be addictive as I'm hooked . P.s bushcraft betty is brilliant Biker

Paddytray .;

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That's an incredibly gifted friend :D

Beautiful, Aaron, really they are :cool:

Thank you for the photos, and the inspirations :D

Mary

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Incredible present mate, I love mushroom art and that really looks good! I wonder how many hours went into such a fine piece?

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That's a very lovely thing - and the fact that you'll see and use it every time you sit down to draw..............superb present and a truly wonderful thing...atb mac

Biker

I'll take a picture of it on my desk tomorrow and post it.

Many thanks for all the comments. Yeah, I do feel very really lucky to have this. I'd seen the first desk tidy he'd made and loved it, now I have my own! Paul's an engineer by trade so you can imagine his tolerances when making things out of wood. We often pull each others leg about him thinking to much like an engineer when he should be thinking like a carpenter (my own trade) because wood moves. He just calls me a philistine when I say the +/- 5mm is close enough. :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE