Biker, Happy Joan of Arc Day!

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
He did, loosing an eye to a stray ricocheting almond isn't a story to tell at parties. Still the eye patch made from Pa's tutu did look rather becoming. Just wish Pa hadn't cut that part of his Tutu out. That indecency charge was the last straw for Auntie Turbo.

The director kept the patch. It seems to be his trademark now.

Pa'd have been fine if he hadn't cut the corresponding bit of his tights out too. What was all that about anyway.

I think Girl to Rub did a runner because Pa kept borrowing her clothes. Not a problem normally but we all know who you inherited your IBS from :(

Say, have you ever read any of Henry Kuttner's Hogben stories?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
The director kept the patch. It seems to be his trademark now.

Pa'd have been fine if he hadn't cut the corresponding bit of his tights out too. What was all that about anyway.

I think Girl to Rub did a runner because Pa kept borrowing her clothes. Not a problem normally but we all know who you inherited your IBS from :(

Say, have you ever read any of Henry Kuttner's Hogben stories?

He liked the through draught seemingly. Helped in the lower ventilation after a bad night.

Other than being a SF writer I know next to nothing of Mr Knutter and his prose. Sorry

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
He liked the through draught seemingly. Helped in the lower ventilation after a bad night.

Other than being a SF writer I know next to nothing of Mr Knutter and his prose. Sorry

Kuttner is one of the best. The Hogben stories are about a clan of mutated hillbilies. Some of the funniest SF I've ever read. This thread reminded me of it.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Kuttner is one of the best. The Hogben stories are about a clan of mutated hillbilies. Some of the funniest SF I've ever read. This thread reminded me of it.

A genesis for Judge Dredds Angel Gang you think? That's what goes through my head with this thread. Will give Mr Knutter a try, sounds good.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
A genesis for Judge Dredds Angel Gang you think? That's what goes through my head with this thread. Will give Mr Knutter a try, sounds good.

They have more style than the Angel Gang. They'd be much tougher too :)

Another one to look at is Eric Frank Russell. "Next of Kin" and "Wasp" are both superb. No hillbillies though.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
They have more style than the Angel Gang. They'd be much tougher too :)

Another one to look at is Eric Frank Russell. "Next of Kin" and "Wasp" are both superb. No hillbillies though.
Was thinking of treating myself to Harry Harrisons Stainless Steel Rat series on the Kindle in a month or so but have to find the sucker first. Can't for the love of me think where I've put it and there's a heap of stuff on it all unread as I misplaced it before a holiday. Much to my shame there's a huge bunch of Warren Murphy and Richard Sapir's The Destroyer Series. My fave pulp novels, totally formulaic and just great fun. Ever read them?

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
The family that plays together!!
[video=youtube;Fc2Wa2WquqI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fc2Wa2WquqI[/video]

And Huon so suits pa's mask. As you can see not all the surgery worked.

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Pa didn't mind you getting the brains, but he was so jealous of Huons good looks. That's why he started his home plastic surgery.

On Huon. That extra eyes a peach. You always keep quiet about your gifts Uncle Kelly. (Apart from the cloning stuff 'n all) And Auntie Turbo did say you were gifted... or touched by angels I forget now.

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I was always the special one, I think pa was a bit scared of me, especially after the Fava bean incident.

Yeah who'd have thunked a human organ could look so like a fava bean. Was quite a squeal though. Scared the willies out've Huon, Bob, Cousin Pete 'n' me though.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Think kidney beans, have thought of little else for years, that chittering noise Pa made in fear in the darkness afterwards haunts me still now.

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Good morning Gentlemen, and Lady.
Did you know that on this day in 1957, The Soviet Union launched Sputnik 1. The first artificial satellite; transmitted signals for 21 days. Launching of first ever artificial satellite of the Earth; physical study of the atmosphere; remained in orbit until January 4, 1958. This event began the space race by galvanizing interest and action on the part of the American public to support an active role in space research, technology, and exploration. Sputnik 1 was the first artificial Earth satellite. It was a 58 cm diameter polished metal sphere, with four external radio antennae to broadcast radio pulses.

View attachment 23258

And also in 1999, First World Space Week. The United Nations General Assembly declared that World Space Week would be held each year from October 4-10. These dates commemorate two events, the launch of Sputnik 1 in 1957 and the signing of the UN Space Treaty in 1967..

View attachment 23260

So Biker, "HAPPY WORLD SPACE DAY".

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Biker, Happy Avro Arrow Roll Out Day!

Biker, On this day in 1957 - The Avro Arrow roll-out ceremony took place at Avro Canada plant in Malton, Ontario.
The Avro Canada CF-105 Arrow was a delta-winged interceptor aircraft, designed and built by Avro Canada as the culmination of a design study that began in 1953. Considered to be both an advanced technical and aerodynamic achievement for the Canadian aviation industry, the CF-105 (Mark 2) held the promise of near Mach 3 speeds at altitudes likely exceeding 60,000 ft. (18,000 m), and was intended to serve as the Royal Canadian Air Force's (RCAF) primary interceptor in the 1960s and beyond.
Not long after the 1958 start of its flight test program, the development of the Arrow (including its Orenda Iroquois jet engines) was abruptly and controversially halted before the project review had taken place, sparking a long and bitter political debate.
The controversy engendered by the cancellation and subsequent destruction of the aircraft in production remains a topic for debate among historians, political observers and industry pundits. "This action effectively put Avro out of business and its highly skilled engineering and production personnel scattered...."

In the post-Second World War period, the Soviet Union began developing a capable fleet of long-range bombers with the ability to deliver nuclear weapons across North America and Europe. The main threat was principally from high-speed, high-altitude bombing runs launched from the Soviet Union travelling over the Arctic against military bases, built-up and industrial centres in Canada and the United States. To counter this threat, Western countries strenuously engaged in the development of interceptors that could engage and destroy these bombers before they reached their targets.
A. V. Roe Canada Limited had been set up as a subsidiary of the Hawker Siddeley Group in 1945, initially handling repair and maintenance work for aircraft at Malton, Ontario Airport, today known as Toronto Pearson International Airport. The next year the company began the design of Canada's first jet fighter for the RCAF, the Avro CF-100 Canuck all-weather interceptor. The Canuck underwent a lengthy and troubled prototype stage before entering service seven years later in 1953. Nevertheless, it went on to become one of the most enduring aircraft of its class, serving in a variety of roles until 1981.
Recognizing that the delays that impacted the development and deployment of the CF-100 could also impact its successor, and the fact that the Soviets were working on newer jet-powered bombers that would render the CF-100 ineffective, the RCAF began looking for a supersonic, missile-armed replacement for the Canuck even before it had entered service. In March 1952, the RCAF's Final Report of the All-Weather Interceptor Requirements Team was submitted to Avro Canada.

An innovative aspect of the design was the use of a delta wing. The delta wing had many of the same advantages of the swept wing in terms of transonic and supersonic performance, but offered much more internal room and overall surface area. This provided more room for fuel, an important consideration given the inefficient early jet engines of the era, and the large wing area provided ample lift at high altitudes. The delta wing enabled slower landings than swept wings in certain conditions.
The disadvantages of the design were increased drag at lower speeds and altitudes, and especially higher drag while manoeuvring. For the interceptor role these were minor concerns, as the aircraft would be spending most of its time flying in straight lines at high altitudes and speeds, mitigating these disadvantages.
Further proposals based on the delta wing resulted in two versions of the design known as C104: the single engine C104/4 and twin-engine C104/2. The designs were otherwise similar, using a low-mounted delta-wing; the primary advantages of the C104/2 were a larger overall size which offered a much larger internal weapons bay, at the time a cutting-edge feature in a fighter, and gave twin-engine reliability. The proposals were submitted to the RCAF in June 1952.

Go-ahead on the production was given in 1955. The rollout of the first CF-105, marked as RL-201, took place on 4 October 1957. The company had planned to capitalize on the event, inviting more than 13,000 guests to the occasion. Unfortunately for Avro, the media and public attention for the Arrow rollout was dwarfed by the launch of Sputnik the same day.

I'm afraid I'm away with Brother Bob for the next two nights at the Wooplaw meet and so Biker Day Productions will have a short hiatus.
We are thinking of you our dedicated followers of informative tosh and promise a jolly nice trip/meet report as some form of consolation upon our return.
There will now be a short interlude...

[video=youtube;C21G2OkHEYo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C21G2OkHEYo[/video]

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
We'll plot....er, I mean talk amongst ourselves while you're gone.

:D

You know as low as our roots may grow 'tis nice to walk amongst the emperors of Rome with family loyalty like ours Brother Huon. Knew I could rely on your scheming.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
You know as low as our roots may grow 'tis nice to walk amongst the emperors of Rome with family loyalty like ours Brother Huon. Knew I could rely on your scheming.

You are very welcome Brother Goat. We enjoy your absences.

Something has been preying on my mind, no not Pa, and perhaps you can help.

There are soooo many beans in a tin. How did Unca Kelly manage to get that many?

It was a good joke though :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE