Biker, Happy Joan of Arc Day!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Talking about Sledge Hammers earlier reminded me that I didn't know why they were so called as hammer names usually inform as to purpose or shape. Here are the answers I found: -

• The word sledgehammer is derived from the Anglo Saxon "Slaegan", which, in its first sense, means "to strike violently". The English words "slag", "slay", and "slog" are cognate.
  • In shipbuilding. The timber racking that held the boat upright before it reached the river was called a sledge. Inside the timber were big oak wedges, which needed to be knocked out to launch the boat. These were hit with a big hammer, which was then called a sledgehammer.

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
I knew I followed this thread for a reason. My day is not complete without another piece of information, clogging up my head.:lmao: The Boonie challenge was great,
It has totally changed my outlook on camping, and most certainly on kit. I can really feel comfortable with scaling my kit right down. It was an eye opening weekend.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Talking about Sledge Hammers earlier reminded me that I didn't know why they were so called as hammer names usually inform as to purpose or shape. Here are the answers I found: -

• The word sledgehammer is derived from the Anglo Saxon "Slaegan", which, in its first sense, means "to strike violently". The English words "slag", "slay", and "slog" are cognate.
  • In shipbuilding. The timber racking that held the boat upright before it reached the river was called a sledge. Inside the timber were big oak wedges, which needed to be knocked out to launch the boat. These were hit with a big hammer, which was then called a sledgehammer.

Which brings us to the Dutch word for whipped cream :D

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Biker san! Say Happy 124th Birthday to Nintendo.
On this day in 1889 - Nintendo Koppai (Later Nintendo Company, Limited) founded by Fusajiro Yamauchi to produce and market the playing card game Hanafuda.

Nintendo Co., Ltd. (任天堂株式会社, Nintendō Kabushiki gaisha) is a Japanese multinational consumer electronics company headquartered in Kyoto, Japan. Nintendo is the world's largest video game company by revenue. Founded on September 23, 1889 by Fusajiro Yamauchi, it originally produced handmade hanafuda cards. By 1963, the company had tried several small niche businesses, such as cab services and love hotels.
Abandoning previous ventures, Nintendo developed into a video game company, becoming one of the most influential in the industry and Japan's third most valuable listed company with a market value of over US$85 billion. Nintendo of America is also the majority owner of the Seattle Mariners Major League Baseball team.
The name Nintendo can be roughly translated from Japanese to English as "leave luck to heaven." As of June 30, 2013, Nintendo has sold over 655.9 million hardware units and 4.12 billion software units.

Hanafuda (花札) are playing cards of Japanese origin that are used to play a number of games. The name literally translates as "flower cards." The name also refers to games played with those cards.

Todays Quote: -

1?: My mother always told me that violence doesn't solve anything. 2?: Really? I wonder what the city founders of Hiroshima would have to say about that.
[to Carmen]
2?: You.
3?: They wouldn't say anything. Hiroshima was destroyed.
2?: Correct. Naked force has resolved more conflicts throughout history than any other factor. The contrary opinion, that violence doesn't solve anything, is wishful thinking at its worst; people who forget that always die.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Movie quote - I started another Robert Heinlein book on my Kindle last night. Only read it about 7 times already but you can guarantee an enjoyable read each time you pick one of his books up... (except perhaps for Stranger in a Strange land)

Happy Nintendo day to you too son.

Not as good as the book though. In fact not a good film at all. The teacher was armless enough though.

Nowt wrong with Stranger. You obviously don't grok it. Time Enough for Love though....

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
On the films: -

1. A good fun romp, but a fair distance from the book.
  2. Utter pap.
  3. Tried to set up for what the soldiers really were with the suits, but only really saved by Jolene King Blalock (T'Pol).

The book was thoroughly enjoyable at many levels.

If you like the idea of powered armour, as an alternative to the excellent "Starship Troopers" there is always equally excellent "The Forever War" by Joe Haldeman.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Not as good as the book though. In fact not a good film at all. The teacher was armless enough though.

Nowt wrong with Stranger. You obviously don't grok it. Time Enough for Love though....

Yep, Time Enough for Love has got to in my top 3 books list. It had me laughing and I'm not ashamed to admit it, cry too. Powerful book.

+1 on Haldeman's Forever War.

I too was disappointed in Starship Troopers. I was hoping for so much more with it, still I enjoyed it but not as much as hoped. The boot camp scenes were laughable IMO. However it had the most epic space battle I'd seen up till then though, the FX really gave those starships size and mass. Little details like that really impress me.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Biker! Happy USS Enterprise Day!

On this day in 1960 - USS Enterprise the 1st nuclear-powered aircraft carrier, launches.

In 1958, Enterprise's keel was laid at Newport News Shipbuilding and Drydock Company. On 24 September 1960, the ship was launched, sponsored by Mrs W. B. Franke, wife of the former Secretary of the Navy. On 25 November 1961, Enterprise was commissioned, with Captain Vincent P. De Poix, formerly of Fighting Squadron 6 on her predecessor, in command. On 12 January 1962, the ship made her maiden voyage conducting a three-month shakedown cruise and a lengthy series of tests and training exercises designed to determine the full capabilities of the nuclear-powered aircraft carrier.
600px-Building_and_ship_comparison_to_the_Pentagon2.svg.png

Enterprise (yellow) compared to large ships and buildings:
The Pentagon, 1,414 feet, 431 m
RMS Queen Mary 2, 1,132 feet, 345 m
USS Enterprise, 1,123 feet, 342 m
Hindenburg, 804 feet, 245 m
Yamato, 863 feet, 263 m
Empire State Building, 1,454 feet, 443 m
Knock Nevis, ex-Seawise Giant, 1,503 feet, 458 m

Enterprise was meant to be the first of a class of six, but construction costs ballooned and the remaining vessels were never laid down. Because of the huge cost of her construction, Enterprise was launched and commissioned without the planned RIM-2 Terrier missile launchers. These were never installed and the ship's self-defence suite instead consisted of three shorter-range RIM-7 Sea Sparrow, Basic Point Defence Missile System (BPDMS) launchers. Later upgrades added two NATO Sea Sparrow (NSSM) and three Mk 15 Phalanx CIWS gun mounts. One CIWS mount was later removed and two 21-cell RIM-116 Rolling Airframe Missile launchers were added.
Enterprise is also the only aircraft carrier to house more than two nuclear reactors, having an eight-reactor propulsion design, with each A2W reactor taking the place of one of the conventional boilers in earlier constructions. She is the only carrier with four rudders, two more than other classes, and features a more cruiser-like hull.
Enterprise also had a phased array radar system known as SCANFAR. SCANFAR was intended to be better at tracking multiple airborne targets than conventional rotating antenna radars. SCANFAR consisted of two radars, the AN/SPS-32 and the AN/SPS-33. The AN/SPS-32 was a long-range air search and target acquisition radar developed by Hughes for the US Navy. The AN/SPS-32 operated together with the AN/SPS-33, which was the square array used for 3D tracking, into one system. It was installed on only two vessels, Enterprise and the cruiser USS Long Beach, placing a massive power drain on the ship’s electric system. The technology of the AN/SPS-32 was based on vacuum tubes and the system required constant repairs. The SPS-32 was a phased array radar which had a range of 400 nautical miles against large targets, and 200 nautical miles against small, fighter-size targets. These early phased arrays, replaced around 1980, were responsible for the distinctive square-looking island. The AN/SPS-32 and AN/SPS-33 radars, while ahead of their time, suffered from issues relating to electrical beam steering mechanism and were not pursued in further ship classes. While they are considered to be an early form of "phased array" radar, they were ahead of their time and it would take the later technology of the Aegis phased array AN/SPY-1 with its electronically controlled beam steering to make phased array radars both reliable and practical for the USN.

USS Enterprise (CVN-65), is now decommissioned and doesn't know what she's done to deserve it probably. She was the world's first nuclear-powered aircraft carrier and the eighth United States naval vessel to bear the name. Like her predecessor of World War II fame, she is nicknamed "Big E". At 1,123 ft (342 m), she is the longest naval vessel in the world. Her 93,284 long tons (94,781 t) displacement ranks her as the 11th-heaviest supercarrier, after the 10 carriers of the Nimitz class. Enterprise had a crew of some 4,600 people.
The only ship of her class, Enterprise is the third oldest commissioned vessel in the United States Navy after the wooden-hulled USS Constitution and USS Pueblo. She was originally scheduled for decommissioning in 2014 or 2015, depending on the life of her reactors and completion of her replacement, USS Gerald R. Ford (CVN-78), but the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2010 slated the ship's retirement for 2013, when she would have served for 51 consecutive years, longer than any other U.S. aircraft carrier.
Enterprise's home port was Naval Station Norfolk, Virginia as of September 2012. Her final deployment, the last before her decommissioning, began on 10 March 2012 and ended 4 November 2012. She was inactivated on 1 December 2012, with her official decommissioning taking place sometime after the completion of an extensive terminal offload program currently underway. The name has been adopted by the future Gerald R. Ford-class aircraft carrier USS Enterprise (CVN-80).
Enterprise is a commissioned navy ship, but is inactive. She has undergone enough of the four-year long inactivation process to render her unfit for further service. Inactivation removes fuel, fluids, furnishings, tools, fittings, oil, and de-energizes the electrical system. Enterprise has already been cut open to allow the removal of useable systems.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Yep, Time Enough for Love has got to in my top 3 books list. It had me laughing and I'm not ashamed to admit it, cry too. Powerful book.

+1 on Haldeman's Forever War.

I too was disappointed in Starship Troopers. I was hoping for so much more with it, still I enjoyed it but not as much as hoped. The boot camp scenes were laughable IMO. However it had the most epic space battle I'd seen up till then though, the FX really gave those starships size and mass. Little details like that really impress me.

But no powered armour and a really dumbed down story line. Effects are nice but they should compliment the plot not replace it.

I actually wasn't keen on Time Enough for Love. I probably read it when I was about 12 so I found themes like incest a little uncomfortable.

Have you read Methuseluh's Children?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
But no powered armour and a really dumbed down story line. Effects are nice but they should compliment the plot not replace it.

I actually wasn't keen on Time Enough for Love. I probably read it when I was about 12 so I found themes like incest a little uncomfortable.

Have you read Methuseluh's Children?

Ah you are truly Pa's child, admitting that you've become more comfortable with incest as you've gotten older!

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Ah you are truly Pa's child, admitting that you've become more comfortable with incest as you've gotten older!

Oh the temptation!

However there are so many ways this thread could get shut down :(

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Oh the temptation!

However there are so many ways this thread could get shut down :(

As Commandant Lassard used to say; "Many, many, many." lets shift tack shall we?

This axe-gun should keep Pa happy when off zombie hunting dont'cha think?
jydvy_1-tfb.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE