Biker, Happy Joan of Arc Day!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
... I've even been to a few Rocky Horror productions too and in costume, great times. (sigh... ahh youth!)
No photos thankfully. :eek:
Ahhh you're all such teases! When and if we all get together for a family union, we'll have to dress for the occasion. Meanwhile I'm just going to imagine it... pass the mind bleach please, tiddlypeeps, Aunties gonna need it.... :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Biker! Happy Joan Of Arc Day!
Yes Pa rejoice and let heavenly choirs sing forth in adulation of yourself as on this day in 2013 the Joan of Arc Thread started.
Yes at 23:37 in the evening we gathered around the keyboard of joy, the device that has brought this disparate family together like never before and embarked upon a Homeric journey through the sea of the internet, like digital Argonauts making our way through the flotsam of fringe science, odd events, historical sweetmeats and the type of family banter that learned psychiatrists could write career ending papers about. In this time we have posted 2'687 times in these hallowed pages, and indeed these self same 90 pages have been viewed 60'980 times. Which either shows that we are slow readers having to return like a criminal to the scene or there are a lot of interested parties out there, looking in through the portals of madness at this cast adrift family.
So indeed Pater, the Leonidas of this tiny band of brave adventurers as we stand at our own Thermopylae facing the Xerxes of another year at these hot gates rejoice and think of Uncle Kelly, Auntie Rub, Brother Bob, Brother Huon, Cousin Petro, Uncle Bilmo and all the other distant lads and lasses that have come and gone.
So on this Longest Day, this Perfect Day let our hearts sing out and be glad we spent it with you.
[video=youtube;j2JXy1Z9ovs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2JXy1Z9ovs[/video]

Biker

A year?!

Just a year? ... Seems like forever.

facepalm-gif-31.gif

Seriously though, thanks GB and the rest of my extended family, Uncools and Aren'ts included.

Did you know :You_Rock_ (mostly when sat in the padded cell wearing that jacket with all the buckles and built in mittens) :lmao:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
A year?!

Just a year? ... Seems like forever.

facepalm-gif-31.gif

Seriously though, thanks GB and the rest of my extended family, Uncools and Aren'ts included.

Did you know :You_Rock_ (mostly when sat in the padded cell wearing that jacket with all the buckles and built in mittens) :lmao:

Yup Pa just a year since you signed on the dotted line, a song for you springs to mind... "Regrets, I've had a few..."

[video=youtube;rDyb_alTkMQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDyb_alTkMQ[/video]

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Toys from Pa & Uncle Kelly's Youth Part 1.
Gilbert U-238 Atomic Energy Laboratory
The_Original_Advertisement.jpg

The Gilbert U-238 Atomic Energy Lab is a toy lab set produced by Alfred Carlton Gilbert and sold between 1950 and 1951. A product catalogue describes it as follows: "Produces awe-inspiring sights! Enables you to actually SEE the paths of electrons and alpha particles traveling at speeds of more than 10,000 miles per SECOND! Electrons racing at fantastic velocities produce delicate, intricate paths of electrical condensation--beautiful to watch. Viewing Cloud Chamber action is closest man has come to watching the Atom! Assembly kit (Chamber can be put together in a few minutes) includes Dri-Electric Power Pack, Deionizer, Compression Bulb, Glass Viewing Chamber, Tubings, power leads, Stand and Legs."
The Original Advertisement

Gilbert Cloud Chamber, assembled

The set originally sold for $49.50 ($461.43 in 2014 US dollars) and contained the following:

Geiger-Müller counter
Electroscope
Spinthariscope
Wilson cloud chamber
Low-level radiation sources:
  • Alpha particles (Pb-210 and Po-210)
  • Beta particles (Ru-106)
  • Gamma particles (possibly Zn-65)

Four Uranium-bearing ore samples
Nuclear spheres for making a molecular model of an alpha particle.
Prospecting for Uranium — a book
Gilbert Atomic Energy Manual
"Learn How Dagwood Split the Atom" comic book
Three C batteries
1951 Gilbert Toys catalogue
The lab was pulled from the shelves after less than a year due to concerns that children could ingest the radiation sources.

It explains why they glow in the dark and have eleven fingers and toes.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
What a year it has been. I've had such a laugh on the thread. It's been a pleasure to be part of of our dysfunctional family.
Not so dangerous, but I do remember this.

View attachment 30994

Ah Uncle Kelly, did you use the junior starter kit of that to build Huons brain?

Glad you've been enjoying it here, I've found it a hoot too. And I've learned a lot - mainly to stay away when Pa's in a mood, though he's mellowing with age.

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Ah Uncle Kelly, did you use the junior starter kit of that to build Huons brain?

Glad you've been enjoying it here, I've found it a hoot too. And I've learned a lot - mainly to stay away when Pa's in a mood, though he's mellowing with age.

Huons was an experiment that got quite out of hand.

Kribe has been feeling much better, since I locked him in here for a week. l24.JPG Now he's down to this. pic1051365_md.jpg

Biker

That's a LOT of mellowing! :lmao:

You too Kelly of the Crosslands! :cussing:

I actually read this thread too y'know. I see comments like this and have to edit my Christmas card list on an almost daily basis. :tapedshut

Yeah this thread's been a hoot, thanks GB. Onward and upward to another year eh?

Meanwhile - Joan of Arc thread :hapbirth: for yesterday.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Biker! Happy Zeppelinn Day!
Zeppelin_LZ_4_with_stabilizers%2C_1908.jpg

Biker! Well I'd better watch that I don't start repeating myself now we're in our second year. Today in 1910 - 1st airship with passengers sets afloat-Zeppelin Deutscheland. Knowing our joy at these inflatable bags of joy I thought we could read a little about them and think of sausages for tea!
A Zeppelin is a type of rigid airship named after the German Count Ferdinand von Zeppelin who pioneered rigid airship development at the beginning of the 20th century. Zeppelin's ideas were first formulated in 1874 and developed in detail in 1893. They were patented in Germany in 1895 and in the United States in 1899. After the outstanding success of the Zeppelin design, the word zeppelin came to be commonly used to refer to all rigid airships. Zeppelins were first flown commercially in 1910 by Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG (DELAG), the world's first airline in revenue service. By mid-1914, DELAG had carried over 10,000 fare-paying passengers on over 1,500 flights. During World War I the German military made extensive use of Zeppelins as bombers and scouts, killing over 500 people in bombing raids in Britain.
The defeat of Germany in 1918 temporarily halted the airship business. Although DELAG established a scheduled daily service between Berlin, Munich, and Friedrichshafen in 1919, the airships built for this service eventually had to be surrendered under the terms of the Treaty of Versailles, which also prohibited Germany from building large airships. An exception was made allowing the construction of one airship for the US Navy, which saved the company from extinction. In 1926 the restrictions on airship construction were lifted and with the aid of donations from the public work was started on the construction of LZ 127 Graf Zeppelin. This revived the company' fortunes, and during the 1930s when the airships Graf Zeppelin and the larger LZ 129 Hindenburg operated regular transatlantic flights from Germany to North America and Brazil. The Art Deco spire of the Empire State Building was originally, if impractically, designed to serve as a mooring mast for Zeppelins and other airships. The Hindenburg disaster in 1937, along with political and economic issues, hastened the demise of the Zeppelins.

The principal feature of Zeppelin's design was a fabric-covered rigid metal framework made up from transverse rings and longitudinal girders containing a number of individual gasbags. The advantage of this design was that the aircraft could be much larger than non-rigid airships, which relied on a slight overpressure within the single pressure envelope to maintain their shape. The framework of most Zeppelins was made of duralumin. Early Zeppelins used rubberised cotton for the gasbags, but most later craft used goldbeater's skin, made from the intestines of cattle.
The first Zeppelins had long cylindrical hulls with tapered ends and complex multi-plane fins. During World War I, following the lead of their rivals Schütte-Lanz Luftschiffbau, the design changed to the more familiar streamlined shape with cruciform tail surfaces, as used by almost all later airships.
They were propelled by several engines, mounted in gondolas or engine cars, which were attached to the outside of the structural framework. Some of these could provide reverse thrust for manoeuvring while mooring. A comparatively small compartment for passengers and crew was built into the bottom of the frame, but in later Zeppelins this was not the entire habitable space; they often carried passengers or cargo internally for aerodynamic reasons.
It_is_far_better_to_face_the_bullets.jpg

Zeppelins have been an inspiration to music, cinematography and literature. In 1934, the calypsonian Attila the Hun recorded "Graf Zeppelin", commemorating the airship's visit to Trinidad.
Zeppelins are often featured in alternate history fiction. In the American science fiction series, Fringe, Zeppelins are a notable historical idiosyncrasy that helps differentiate the series' two parallel universes, also used in Doctor Who in the episodes "The Rise of the Cybermen" and "The Age of Steel" when the TARDIS crashes in an alternate reality where Britain is a 'people's republic' and Pete Tyler, Rose Tyler's father, is alive and is a wealthy inventor. They are also seen in the alternate reality 1939 plot line in the film Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, and have an iconic association with the steampunk subcultural movement in broader terms. In 1989, Japanese animator Miyazaki released Kiki's Delivery Service, which features a Zeppelin as a plot element.
In 1968, English rock band Led Zeppelin chose their name after Keith Moon, drummer of The Who, told guitarist Jimmy Page that his idea to create a band would "go down like a lead zeppelin." Page's manager Peter Grant suggested changing the spelling of "Lead" to "Led" to avoid mispronunciation. For the group's self-titled debut album, Page suggested the group use a picture of the Hindenburg crashing in New Jersey in 1937, much to Frau Eva Von Zeppelin’s disgust. Von Zeppelin tried to sue the group for using the name Zeppelin, but the case was eventually dismissed.
Apart from us Joan of Arc folk thinking of sausages and mash being Zeppelins in the clouds there are other dishes out there too that take inspiration from these floating giants.

Cepelinai or Didžkukuliai (singular - cepelinas) are a Lithuanian national dish, also very popular in the northeastern part of Poland. They are a type of dumpling made from riced potatoes and usually stuffed with minced meat, although sometimes dry cottage cheese (curd) or mushrooms are used instead.
So named because their shape resembles that of a Zeppelin airship, cepelinai are typically around 10–20 cm long, although the size depends on where they are made: in the western counties of Lithuania cepelinai are made bigger than in the east.
After boiling, the cepelinai are served with sour cream sauce and bacon or pork rinds.
Similar dishes can also be found in the other countries: Belarus, Norway, Poland, Sweden, Ukraine.
1024px-Cepelinai_Sauce.JPG

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE