Biker, Happy Joan of Arc Day!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
sounds horriffic and the pain, but considering you have been cut open and a bone or bones spliced and deep deep cuts too its no small thing.
The ceramic on ceramic, is it a hip and leg bone removed ?

if that is just part of what lymes does to you, must be a real powerful disease. What a time you've had. What else did lymes visit on you ? hopefully you'll be back bouncing off the walls soon.

When your all better what are you looking forward to doing first ? besides pitching your tent and walking etc, you going off anywhere ?

Hope the pain dies doen soon

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Aye it was pretty nasty when the spinal wore off and it took about 4 hours to get it back under control. Had a good night's sleep and the shy looked wonderful, not really getting dark at all.

Oh so what do I want to do when I get out; good question? The main thing would be to get away camping in the Tipi and bell tents with Bob. Getting back to having a job is also of a darn high priority as I really don't like not being in work.

The recovery time on being allowed to do certain things is relatively long so they'll be a bit in the future. Managed wash myself and get out of bed this morning which was good - though needed help with the feet and not allowed to bend that far. So I suppose my first target is to get out for a walk with my pals spaniel. I do enjoy having a wander and seeing the wildlife.

On the illness front the lymes attacked the heart first and then caused a lot of secondary problems. Liver and kidney function went, lungs filled with very tight foamy sputum which meant I was drowning in my own fluids. Body also couldn't pass fluid so the water retention was amazing. The first time they took me into ICU they gave me an injection to help out and I managed to loose a stone in weight in under an hour.

It then got into my joints and groin area and destroyed my left hip, as well as seizing me solid in bed for days where I couldn't get a telephone signal and so was stuck. Luckily there is always water and a first aid kit there.

So yeah Lymes is bad but so easily treatable if you're vigilant (which I was; but missed that one). A simple dose of antibiotics if caught early and your right as rain, rather than the nigh on total body shut down and nearly carking it that I had.

So yes my first desire is to get out for and unaided walk in the country.

Cheers for asking,

GB.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Case in point, for having a nation wide campaign, to make people more aware of this insidious disease. Even some GPs are unaware of the symptoms of Lymes.
Glad to hear that you're on the mend Colin, and able to get around a bit. The time will soon pass, it's over a year since I first enquired about your health and introduced myself.

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Oh that means we've missed out "Paper Anniversary" Colin!:D Thanks for enquiring it is appreciated. And as you say more folk should be made aware of how such a seemingly innocuous insect bite can turn into a life threatening thing; and that it's on the rise - I could be the "Posterchild" for it! (instead of Crimewatch.) :eek:

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
So you where stranded in your own bedroom ? What happened or who found you ?

yup, in wales it only gets properly dark for 2 to 3 hours, there is a faint light in the sky by 3am, and scotland is even further north. Quite strange, maybe to go above the arctic circle will be one of my future goals.

Anything special your looking forward to doing other than being physically virile once more ?

I think after being turned inside out yesterday and getting out of bed today shows remarkable promise, fairly sort of impressed. The spinal tap, does that mean you went in under a local anasthetic ?

Also hiya unka clk

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Oh Pa there may be some flirtatious talk, but fingers are strictly kept to oneself. Safer for all that way. They really are a smashing bunch of staff. From the axe fetishist bushcrafty physio to the young students.
Foods pretty good too, was given extra soup tonight, I think they think I'm the Soup Dragon from the Clangers. Then steamed fish in a lemon sauce with small roast potatoes and sweetcorn. With some fruit and cheese and crackers to round off for the evening. There will no doubt be a tea and toast run for supper too.

Pedro I was stranded in my own bedroom. Eventually managed to crawl to the bathroom to slowly rehydrate from the bath taps. Though I always have at least a glass of water nearby when I hit bed.

The spinal tap did mean it was a local, but there was so much pre-med and the likes in me that I kind of passed out and had a lovely dream, woke up feeling all tingly and happy. When I woke up I'd been dreaming of preparing to go on a train journey.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
so no chance of going, "ooh look doc, ivory" as they poked around inside then ? I've heard of people having operations like it under local, but with a screen in the way to stop the shock killing them. Don't fancy it myself.

Hope its not too boring, how long are you hauled up for ?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
so no chance of going, "ooh look doc, ivory" as they poked around inside then ? I've heard of people having operations like it under local, but with a screen in the way to stop the shock killing them. Don't fancy it myself.

Hope its not too boring, how long are you hauled up for ?

I got to watch the camera feed when they were doing to angiogram stuff a couple of years back and was awake thought maybe not 100% lucid for the pacemaker which was interesting as it took double the usual time as they were having a mare of a time getting all the leads to go where they wanted them. It's quite interesting seeing inside your own chest and being able to walk away from it.

There's a collapsing timescale of getting back to full mobility, up to around 6 months. Have to modify the house with raised toilet seats and chairs and not make certain ranges of movement lest it all dislocates. In all it'll keep healing for about 2 years.

Don't know if any of you have looked at Aarons cabin build of late but it's well worth a deko.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
looks like you'll need that walking stick soon then . The people who I've known have hip ops before where on sticks for a while. I'm just thankful and appreciative of my physical wellbeing. A bloke I know says he is having a pigs vein in after a motorbike crash left his legs in awful condition. Deep muscle operation from ankle to hip on both legs.

if you find yourself getting bored get your self a playstation, a few books, a dvd player. Don't bother with the tv, its attrocious quality these days. You could take up wood carving if you don't already, but I don't know if the nurses will let you do it in your hospital bed ! Any good at leather work also ? I could do with a few things.

As for a book, hg well's "the war in the air" I can highly reccomend, especially if you like airship wars.

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Wow, you just don't realise just how bad it can be... I spent my childhood playing in the countryside and there was no mention of it! Awareness goes a long way eh?

I downloaded a free ereader and am searching project gutenberg for good reads, its a great cheap way to snaffle some classics :) I'm on a tome about the cutlery and forging industry in Sheffield in the 1800s, read about the erection of the northern bell rock lighthouse in the early 1800s and have My Secret Life and Fanny Hill to add a bit of deviant diversity to my learning ;)

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
delightful girl to rob, you'll have to look into stainless from sheffield a century and a bit later, a real riveting read.
Hahaha I like what you did there, young 'un ;) Is there seriously a stainless steel book too? Fact or fictional? I'll try to chase it down when I (or poor Hubs!) need a break from the classic erotica genre ;) The one I was referring to is Put yourself in his place' by Charles Reade.

Papa Biker tells me on the dreaded BaseFook that he's heading to St Mere Eglise today to camp out and see whats occouring over there :) Can't wait to see what he's been getting up to!

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
well, theres lots of info on the tinternet, theres bound to be a good book. I just tend to end up reading the computer.

I keep hearing about Ribek's cabin, I read it, and then it seemed to go on hiatus. What and where is that thing hes gone to today ?

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
He doesn't know until he gets there! I think the idea is look for something happening, and if it isn't, start something ;) I've a few friends down there with military vehicles and apparently its a nightmare with the heightened security, he'll probably get arrested, the family name will fall into disrepute, he'll rejoin the foreign legion and well al go on the run as camp followers. Well you lot can be 'camp' and I'll follow ;)

Edit- here's his thread on the day :)

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Oh now Auntie, we could do a It Ain't Half Hot Mum tribute act for the Foreign Legion! Now should I be Gunner "Atlas" Mackintosh or Gunner "Gloria" Beaumont? I can see Pa dressed as Bearer Rangi Ram!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Biker! Happy Log Cabin (without WiFi) Day!

Hi Pa & rejoice as on this day in 1639 - the 1st American log cabin at Fort Christina (Wilmington Delaware) was started.

Fort Christina (later renamed Fort Altena; Swedish: Fort Kristina) was the first Swedish settlement in North America and the principal settlement of the New Sweden colony. Built in 1638 and named after Queen Christina of Sweden it was located approximately 1 mi (1.6 km) east of the present downtown Wilmington, Delaware, at the confluence of the Brandywine Creek and the Christina River, approximately 2 mi (3 km) upstream from the mouth of the Christina on the Delaware River.
The Dutch, as part of the New Netherland colony, maintained a factorij at Fort Nassau. A settlement along south side of Delaware Bay at Zwaanendael (near present-day Lewes) was attempted in 1631, but the colony was attacked and destroyed the following year by Native Americans. Following plans by King Gustavus Adolphus of Sweden to establish a Swedish colony in North America, the Swedes arrived in Delaware Bay on March 29, 1638 aboard the ships Kalmar Nyckel and Fogel Grip under the command of Peter Minuit, the former director of the New Netherland colony. They landed at a spot along the Christina River at the present site of Old Swedes Church in Wilmington. Minuit selected the site on the Christina River near the Delaware as being optimal for trade in beaver pelts with the local Lenape.
At the time, the Dutch had claimed the area south to the Delaware (then called "South River"). The Swedes claimed an area for the Realm of Sweden on the south side of the Delaware that encompassed much of the present-day U.S. state of Delaware, eventually including parts of present-day southeastern Pennsylvania and southern New Jersey on the north side of the river.

The colony remained in constant friction with the Dutch. In 1651, the Dutch under Peter Stuyvesant established Fort Casimir at present-day New Castle, only 7 mi (12 km) south of Fort Christina, in order to menace the Swedish settlement. In 1654, the Swedes captured Fort Casimir, but the following year in 1655, the Dutch took control of New Sweden, ending the official Swedish colonial presence in North America and renaming the fort 'Fort Altena'. The land remained as part of New Netherland until it became part of the English possessions when an English fleet invaded the area in 1664.
The site was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1961. It is now preserved as Fort Christina State Park on E. 7th Street in Wilmington, along with a replica of the Kalmar Nyckel. The Fort Christina monument, designed by Swedish sculptor Carl Milles, stands on the site.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE