Biker, Happy Joan of Arc Day!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
On this day in 1950,
Petrol rationing ends.

Long queues have appeared at garages this evening and motorists have torn their ration books into confetti after the government announced an end to petrol rationing.

The Minister of Fuel and Power, Philip Noel-Baker, told the House of Commons rationing would be abolished because two American companies had agreed a deal to supply oil in return for buying British goods.

"This is indeed VP [Victory for Petrol] day for the motor users' campaign," said a spokesman for three motoring organisations - the RAC, AA and Royal Scottish Automobile Club.

"The effect on the industrial, commercial and community life will be electric. Ration books now become as obsolete as the man with the red flag."

Under a deal agreed earlier this month, Standard Oil Company of New Jersey and the California Texas Oil Company will be paid in sterling and in turn they have agreed to invest the money in British equipment, services and oil tankers.

It is hoped the policy will attract more dollar-spending tourists - which may offset the amount of dollars paid for the new fuel supplies from America.

The government estimates an increase in fuel consumption of one million tons a year. About 430,000 tons of this will be supplied by the US firms. The rest will come from newly expanded refineries in Britain.

But the poor quality of petrol in this country will not improve until refineries - such as those at Southampton and Cheshire - have been completed, probably in 1952.

Discounted driving licences, known as half-rate licences - issued to drivers using basic petrol - will also be abolished.

The Treasury will benefit from £26m in revenue from full-rate licences, a new rate of petrol tax and savings on administration costs. More than 2,000 officials who run the rationing system will lose their jobs.

The practice of putting red dye in commercial petrol to curb black market sales will also stop.

In Context
Petrol rationing was first imposed at the onset of World War II in September 1939 and its continuation five years after the war ended was a hotly debated issue, especially during the 1950 general election campaign.

The Conservatives in opposition had long argued it was no longer necessary but Labour said the nation had a severe dollar shortage and could not afford to buy US supplies.

After the 1950 election - which saw Labour's majority slashed - the government realised the public would no longer tolerate rationing.

Petrol rationing was reintroduced in January 1957 for five months during the Suez Crisis when Egypt and Syria blocked supplies.

It was almost brought back again during a world fuel crisis in 2000 when Opec squeezed supplies to stop fuel prices coming down.

_39565675_petrol238.jpg

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
There's much in there that sounds familiar, most informative nephew :) I've been a shocking gas guzzler today, the Americans would have their pound of flesh from me after a day offroading :D things a gal has to do for an excuse to mud wrestle...

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I dread to think what it would cost to run a Landie or some of the old 3 litre monsters I've had these days. Not driving at all at the moment. And to think of all those trees I planted in forestry days that mean I and all the folk I know well could drive here with out fear of a carbon footprint! (I'll have to go and burn some plastic bags to redress the balance!)
Was up as hospital today and they've moved the operation up to next week, so I'll probably be offline a little more as there's no wi-fi in our local lump hammer unit.
So have fun and tell Pa I buried the treasure under the stump in ....
!

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Blimey, lovey, you too! What are you having done? Actually don't tell us, the standard of creative supposition on this thread is farrr more thought provoking than the mere nitty gritty of truth ;)

Sooo its something to do with the family jewels then if your hint is where you're burying them..... :D

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Ah yes! They have to unscrew his belly button to do that, don't they? You see, nothing you couldn't have kept in the family. If I forgot to put anything back on, we could have a sausage sarnie and think about it. Its all good.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
I dread to think what it would cost to run a Landie or some of the old 3 litre monsters I've had these days. Not driving at all at the moment. And to think of all those trees I planted in forestry days that mean I and all the folk I know well could drive here with out fear of a carbon footprint! (I'll have to go and burn some plastic bags to redress the balance!)
Was up as hospital today and they've moved the operation up to next week, so I'll probably be offline a little more as there's no wi-fi in our local lump hammer unit.
So have fun and tell Pa I buried the treasure under the stump in ....
!

"hospital" and "operation", pa and his metaphores again goatboy

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Only three turns of the belly button screw as they're only taking one leg off. (Everyone knows it's six for both legs of course!)
Getting a ceramic on ceramic hip replacement,

so maybe one of you fancy doing some scrimshaw on what the take out and will make me a rather natty walking stick? Come on Brother Bob tour a dab hand at that these days?

While we're talking of bones, I was looking through the family album yesterday and found the Family X-ray that the traveling show did a few years back when we had our get together for Cousin Pedro's Birthday: -

(Left to right; Auntie Turbo, Pa, Uncle Colin, Brother Bob and Cousin Pedro)

A that was a fun visit, though Mr Barnum wasn't keen on letting us leave though we did all get a free candy apple for going on stage that night remember?

Well in town for a treat of a coffee and a haircut, cant find the clippers and after last months beard shaving debacle it had come in looking like something I could stick fuses in and steal ships with. The only thing now is that I have tan lines from the good weather last week (yes in Scotland!) All around my hairline an where me beard had gotten too thick. Still it's a "Look" and one that may catch on amongst the young and clinically insane.

And Auntie you awful lady, talking of sausages when I'm trying to keep the weight off. There's a place along from Brother Bob's called "Wholefoods" kind of a organic supermarket for rich hippies (but a great place) that do "Spicy Italian" sausages that are fantastic, boy what a butty they make. I do like a good snorker.

Oh and Uncle Kelly talking of feet on backwards the bushcrafters phrase with the words Kelly kettle, Zebra pan and black come to mind. Remember Pa showed me the pictures, but considered them too hideous for even our album!;) (or did he say you were all thumbs?...)

Well off to get another coffee from the rather fetching lass behind the counter today and maybe one of those yum Sanpellegrino cans of pop as it's warm and muggy.

Will be back on in about a week (unless I end up dog sitting tomorrow) so Adieu, adieu to you & you & you!

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Ohhh can you seriously get to keep the old bits?! It's gotta be done, that'd make a handsome stick top! If they forget and turn your belly button 9 times, your willy will fall off too and I can use it to fashion a nice leather hand pad for it while I make you that get-well-soon sausage cob. Yum!

It's a beautiful bit of metal they're putting inside you there, can't wait to hear you out and walking easier sweetheart xx When you come out, you should treat yourself to the full straight razor shave too, I have one every week. I have fond memories of the time I went a bit too close on you lads with one at bannockburn and the family picture that year looked rather similar to your xray :)

Love you, cyber nephew :)

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Well in town for a treat of a coffee and a haircut, cant find the clippers and after last months beard shaving debacle it had come in looking like something I could stick fuses in and steal ships with. The only thing now is that I have tan lines from the good weather last week (yes in Scotland!) All around my hairline an where me beard had gotten too thick. Still it's a "Look" and one that may catch on amongst the young and clinically insane.

[video=youtube;lWB0BotN3JM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWB0BotN3JM[/video]

The beard looks fine to me GB.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Well sitting in the hospital, it's on a hill and I'm on the top level (not locked me in the basement yet) looking out over a nicely wooded Perthshire. The dongle I bought a while back is working so I can connect to the net for now, but as I haven't topped it up I'll be limited.

Only one other inmate... sorry patient and he's asleep. So the sawbones is down polishing his hammer and putting an edge on the cold chisel getting ready for tomorrow morning. The nurse who's ministering to me is very pretty and a wee bit nervous, a student on her second placement bless.

Quite enjoying the view, can see the hills and a plethora of trees which I'm trying to identify by canopy shape. (Ever the country boy) There's also a couple of oyster catchers nesting on the gravel roof below me. I just hope they're not as noisy as the blighters at home who keep me awake with their incessant calling. There's also a fair few pied wagtails flitting 'round which I also enjoy watching.

Will pop on tomorrow after the op and let you know if I can still count to 20!

See you later family.
GB.

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Nurses... no wonder the NHS is so popular :) They're the best thing about being ill! Don't forget to ask if you can have your bit back! One of our meeters has an ear stretch made from a piece of human femur, you could make a proper dangly out of a ball joint... papa could embelish it with a betty for you :)

You need a mate to bring in a wing mirror, brrom stick and duct tape to keep your eye on the feathery birds outside or perhaps the nurses will keep you up to date with sitreps :D

Huuuuge good karma to you for tomorrow, look forward to hearing your gentle humour back when you're up to it, lovey x

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Thanks Auntie,

Sadly none of the nurses are red-haired Amazons like your beauteous self; but that's an advantage when getting ones blood pressure and other vitals checked.;)

I like the hospital I'm in, the staff are pretty darn wonderful. Have been in here a few times in recent years and won't hear a word said against them. Though the head phlebotomist groans every time he sees me - hard to get blood out of you see.

They let me out for a wander after my evening meal there which was good. Went for a wander 'round the grounds and watched the bunnies and courting woodpigeons. Some nice wild flowers out too.
Decided not to make a Colditz type break for it, and didn't have baggy enough trews on to try the old sand down the legs tunnelling method. Besides my tea was good, not used to three courses. And the green pea soup was braw! (I do like soup; being a typical Scot. Could pretty much face it every day.)

Brother Bob makes a rather natty chicken noodle soup with spring onions. Always a favourite when we're away camping.

Well will scoot for noo as I want to save some data for later in the week. Will post and let you know how I get on. Will try and save you a bit of the femur if they let me have it. Might make a rather fetching necklace!

Toodle pip,
GB.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Why thank you Cousin Pedro. Well I'm out with a titanium (you can have it when I die) stemmed ceramic on ceramic hip joint in place.

The theatre staff had evil senses of humour which I enjoyed no end and the anaesthetist was a rather lovely redhead who was very good fun with a rather fetching throaty laugh.

Back on the ward were they've plied me with tea and toast too keep me going 'till tea time.

Brother Bob was feeling good from his operation - in fact he has more of a social life now as he seems to be out all the time which is great.

The physio has also been to see me; manipulating my legs and trying to get me to do stuff - though the spinal hadn't totally worn off yet. He's a bit of an axe freak and we ended up yarning about sharpening and the likes.

Well tea-time is looming and I need to figure out how to go to the loo before hand so TTFN for now.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Ah well GB you'll soon be back in your fighting trousers, with a certain 6' red haired amazon egging you on. Heal well mate.

[video=youtube;0iRTB-FTMdk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iRTB-FTMdk[/video]

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
I am so pleased you got a ginger sista to nurse you with style :) They sound a good bunch of folks in there and its good to hear young bobbys quietness is due to being out there... you'll be out with him soon :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Well once the spinal wore off the pain level when ballistic. Ended up with piles of paracetamol, codeine then morphine getting lumped down the throat. Some ice packs under the leg were a help too; so have managed to get some sleep. Awake now though and the view of the sky is lovely, bands of bruised clouds with light sky between and a red band on the horizon allowing the hills on the horizon to show their profile. Which reminds me it can't be that long 'till the longest day.

Thanks for popping up Professor Elemental with his Fighting trousers. Was actually talking about him the other day and it's put a smile on my face. You're a star Uncle.

And Auntie the Ginger Sisterhood are indeed looking out for me. They always hold a place dear in my heart.

Love to the family,
GB.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE