Biker, Happy Joan of Arc Day!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Biker! Happy Blood Transfusion Day!

World War II Russian syringe for direct inter-human blood transfusion

Biker! on this day in 1666 - Samuel Pepys reports on 1st blood transfusion (between dogs).

Beginning with Harvey's experiments with circulation of the blood, research into blood transfusion began in the 17th century, with successful experiments in transfusion between animals. However, successive attempts by physicians to transfuse animal blood into humans gave variable, often fatal, results.

The first fully documented human blood transfusion was administered by Dr. Jean-Baptiste Denys, eminent physician to King Louis XIV of France, on June 15, 1667. He transfused the blood of a sheep into a 15-year-old boy, who survived the transfusion. Denys performed another transfusion into a labourer, who also survived. Both instances were likely due to the small amount of blood that was actually transfused into these people. This allowed them to withstand the allergic reaction. Denys' third patient to undergo a blood transfusion was Swedish Baron Gustaf Bonde. He received two transfusions. After the second transfusion Bonde died. In the winter of 1667, Denys performed several transfusions on Antoine Mauroy with calf's blood, who on the third account died. Much controversy surrounded his death. Mauroy's wife asserted Denys was responsible for her husband's death; she was accused as well, though it was later determined that Mauroy actually died from arsenic poisoning, Denys' experiments with animal blood provoked a heated controversy in France. Finally, in 1670 the procedure was banned. In time, the British Parliament and the Vatican followed suit. Blood transfusions fell into obscurity for the next 150 years.

Blood transfusion is generally the process of receiving blood products into one's circulation intravenously. Transfusions are used in a variety of medical conditions to replace lost components of the blood. Early transfusions used whole blood, but modern medical practice commonly uses only components of the blood, such as red blood cells, white blood cells, plasma, clotting factors, and platelets.
Units of packed red blood cells are typically only recommended when a patient's either haemoglobin level falls below 10g/dL or haematocrit falls below 30%, hence in several settings this level is being decreased to 7g/dL. This is in part due to the increasing evidence that there are cases where patients have worse outcomes when transfused One may consider transfusion for people with symptoms of cardiovascular disease such as chest pain or shortness of breath. Globally around 85 million units of red blood cells are transfused in a given year. In cases where patients have low levels of haemoglobin but are cardiovascularly stable, parenteral iron is increasingly a preferred option based on both efficacy and safety. Other blood products are given where appropriate, such as clotting deficiencies.
When a patient's own blood is salvaged and reinfused during a surgery (e.g. using a cell salvage machine such as a Cell Saver), this can be considered a form of auto transfusion (and thus a form of transfusion) even though no "blood product" is actually created. Before this was possible, auto transfusion had referred only to pre-donating one's own blood autologously, which still occurs as well.

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Hangs well with the Vampire word association theme.

Today in:
1969 - Apollo 12 blasted off for the moon from Cape Kennedy, FL
1970 - Santana's "Black Magic Woman" was released.
Also, happy birthday Freddy Garrity, 1940.

[video=youtube;q8zCEkI7mdU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8zCEkI7mdU[/video]

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hangs well with the Vampire word association theme.

Today in:
1969 - Apollo 12 blasted off for the moon from Cape Kennedy, FL
1970 - Santana's "Black Magic Woman" was released.
Also, happy birthday Freddy Garrity, 1940.

[video=youtube;q8zCEkI7mdU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8zCEkI7mdU[/video]

It does that, did you ever read the Anne Rice novels before she recanted and disowned them when becoming a Born Again?

I liked them, but always did like the vampire meme. Them movies were pretty awful though.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
It does that, did you ever read the Anne Rice novels before she recanted and disowned them when becoming a Born Again?

I liked them, but always did like the vampire meme. Them movies were pretty awful though.

I wasn't that keen on the Anne Rice vampire books. I found them a bit laboured after the first one and even that wasn't as good as I'd have liked.

If you like vampire stories try Fevre Dream by George R. R. Martin, the guy who wrote Game of Thrones. You might also try Those who hunt the night and its sequel(s) by Barbara Hambly.

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I wasn't that keen on the Anne Rice vampire books. I found them a bit laboured after the first one and even that wasn't as good as I'd have liked.

If you like vampire stories try Fevre Dream by George R. R. Martin, the guy who wrote Game of Thrones. You might also try Those who hunt the night and its sequel(s) by Barbara Hambly.

I read the second novel (though under the title "Immortal Blood") and did enjoy it, will have to dig out the first, there was also a book I read at the same time about a werewolf who worked for the Allies during WWII as a spy. But tried to stay human as he aged faster as a werewolf. Was enjoyable.

Just looked it up The Wolf's Hour Not great literature but enjoyable.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
I read the second novel (though under the title "Immortal Blood") and did enjoy it, will have to dig out the first, there was also a book I read at the same time about a werewolf who worked for the Allies during WWII as a spy. But tried to stay human as he aged faster as a werewolf. Was enjoyable.

Just looked it up The Wolf's Hour Not great literature but enjoyable.

You didn't comment on Fevre Dream. That is probably the cream of this particular crop.

Immortal Blood is the first book. It was published under that name in the UK. The second book is Traveling with the Dead, also good, I haven't read the more recent ones but now I'll go look for them. I have read The Wolf's Hour and enjoyed it but not reread it. It was OK but not as good as the Hambly or Martin stuff. The author has also written some vampire fiction but I don't remember enjoying it much.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
You didn't comment on Fevre Dream. That is probably the cream of this particular crop.

Immortal Blood is the first book. It was published under that name in the UK. The second book is Traveling with the Dead, also good, I haven't read the more recent ones but now I'll go look for them. I have read The Wolf's Hour and enjoyed it but not reread it. It was OK but not as good as the Hambly or Martin stuff. The author has also written some vampire fiction but I don't remember enjoying it much.

Wolf's Hour was good, but I liked the premise more than anything, tickled my imagination. Fevre Dream I've not read but am going to look out for, Wiki sounds good. It's always good to hear about good horror as a lot of it is sloppy and badly written, was given one to read in hospital a couple of years back which was just a catalogue of torture set in backwoods Norway, a very grim and un-enjoyable read, I find built tension much more enjoyable.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Biker! Happy Musical Scandal Day!
Oh wail!, wail!, wail! Biker! For today in history is one of infamy and disappointment. Yes! for on this day in 1990 - Producers confirm that Milli Vanilli didn't sing on their album.:eek:

Milli Vanilli was an R&B pop and dance project created by Frank Farian in Munich, Germany, in 1988. The group was formed with Fab Morvan and Rob Pilatus The group's debut album Girl You Know It's True achieved international success and earned them a Grammy Award for Best New Artist on February 21, 1990. Milli Vanilli became one of the most popular pop acts in the late 1980s and early 1990s. Their success turned to infamy when they returned their Grammy after LA Times author Chuck Philips revealed that lead vocals on the record were not the voices of Morvan and Pilatus.
When Frank Farian developed the concept of Milli Vanilli, he chose to feature vocals by Charles Shaw, John Davis, Brad Howell, and twin sisters Jodie and Linda Rocco; however, he felt that those singers lacked a marketable image. He then recruited Robert Pilatus and Fabrice Morvan, two younger model/dancers he found singing in a Munich club for a rehearsal. He felt that Pilatus and Morvan could provide the marketable image that the original singers lacked. According to VH1's Behind the Music, the single "Girl You Know it's True" had already been completed. Farian felt that no efforts should be focused in refining their singing voices. Instead, they were told to pose as singers, and lipsync to the pre-recorded music.
In 2011, Morvan and Kim Marlowe, Morvan's manager, claimed that Farian manipulated the two by giving them a small advance when he signed them. The pair spent most of it on clothes and hairstyling, then several months later Farian called them back and told them they had to lip sync to the prerecorded music or, per the contract, repay the advance in full. "We were not hired, we were trapped," Morvan recalled.
Milli Vanilli's debut album All or Nothing was released in Europe in mid-1988, featuring Rob and Fab's pictures on the cover, but no mention of who actually sang the songs. The success of the record caught the attention of Arista Records who signed the duo. Arista deleted several tracks from the original album, added several new ones (including a new track written by Diane Warren, "Blame It on the Rain"), remixed many of the tracks and renamed the album to Girl You Know It's True for release in the American market in early 1989.
This version of the album went six times platinum and led to the re-release of the title track, which peaked at No.2 on the Hot 100 in April of that year and was certified platinum. (The song was a cover version of a Numarx track published in 1987 on the US Bluebird label.) The U.K. release featured the original first album and the remix album together as "2 X 2". Even greater commercial success followed, as the pair's next three singles "Baby Don't Forget My Number", "Girl I'm Gonna Miss You" and "Blame It on the Rain" all reached No.1. A fifth and final single "All or Nothing", also made the Top 5 in the beginning of 1990 in a remixed form which sampled the "Keep On Movin'" beat from UK soul act Soul II Soul. Milli Vanilli's meteoric rise to pop music superstardom culminated with a Grammy Award for Best New Artist on February 22, 1990.

Beth McCarthy-Miller, then an executive with MTV, says the duo's poor English-language skills, when they came in for their first interview with the channel, stirred doubts among those present as to whether they had actually sung on their records. The first public sign that the group was lip-synching happened in late 1989 during a live performance on MTV at the Lake Compounce theme park in Bristol, Connecticut. As they performed onstage live in front of an audience, the recording of the song "Girl You Know It's True" jammed and began to skip, repeating the partial line "Girl, you know it's..." over and over on the speakers. They continued to pretend to sing and dance onstage for a few more moments, then they both ran offstage. According to the episode of VH1's Behind the Music which profiled Milli Vanilli, Downtown Julie Brown stated that fans attending the concert seemed neither to care nor even to notice, and the concert continued as if nothing unusual had happened. In a March 1990 issue of Time Magazine, Pilatus was quoted proclaiming himself to be "the new Elvis", reasoning that by the duo's success they were musically more talented than Bob Dylan, Paul McCartney and Mick Jagger.
Unlike the international release of All or Nothing, the inserts for the American version clearly attributed the voices on the album to Morvan and Pilatus. This prompted Shaw to disclose to New York Newsday writer John Leland in December 1989 that he was one of three singers on Milli Vanilli's hit debut album, and that Pilatus and Morvan were impostors. Farian reportedly paid Shaw $150,000 to retract his statements, though this did not stem the tide of public criticism. Because of rising public questions regarding the source of who actually sang in the group, as well as the insistence of Morvan and Pilatus to Farian that they be allowed to sing on the next album, Farian confessed to reporters on November 12, 1990, that Morvan and Pilatus did not actually sing on the records. As a result of American media pressure, Milli Vanilli's Grammy was withdrawn four days later. However, their three American Music Awards were never withdrawn because the organizers felt the awards were given to them by music consumers, Arista Records then dropped the act from its roster and deleted their album and its masters from their catalogue, taking Girl You Know It's True out of print.
After these details emerged, at least 27 different lawsuits were filed under various U.S. consumer fraud protection laws against Pilatus, Morvan and Arista Records. One such filing occurred on November 22, 1990 in Ohio, where lawyers there filed a class-action lawsuit asking for refunds on behalf of a local woman in Cuyahoga County who had bought Girl You Know It's True; at the time the lawsuit was filed, it was estimated at least 1,000 Ohio residents had bought the album. On August 12, 1991, a proposed settlement to a refund lawsuit in Chicago, Illinois was rejected. This settlement would have refunded buyers of Milli Vanilli CDs, cassettes, records, or singles. However, the refunds would only be given as a credit for a future Arista release. On August 28, a new settlement was approved; it refunded those who attended concerts along with those who bought Milli Vanilli recordings. An estimated 10 million buyers were eligible to claim a refund and they could keep the refunded recordings as well. The deadline to claim refunds passed on March 8, 1992.
[SUP]
[video=youtube;2rH80nNixmE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rH80nNixmE[/video][/SUP]

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
It turns out that parallel universes exist, at least according to the results of this freaky experiment/discovery. Quantum physicists at UCSB placed a tiny “paddle” that was the width of a human hair into a vacuum which was created in a jar. They then “plucked” the paddle and it vibrated and stood still AT THE SAME TIME. Essentially, that means something may exist in two states (or two universes) at once, opening the door for not only multiple versions of ourselves, but also the possibility of time travel. Holy bearded Spock!

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
particle entanglement.

"For instance, these vanishingly small particles can become "entangled." When two particles are entangled, then whatever you do to one particle instantaneously affects its entangled twin, regardless of the distance between them. Whether they're only a millimeter apart or separated by an entire galaxy, if you alter one, its twin feels it."

As for dual states , action and reaction and relativity, does the tram move to the station with energy or does the station have energy to move toward the tram ? Both and neither. If newton projects an apple from his hand upward whilst standing on earth, the earth would actually move away from the apple and the apple from earth. Thus with sherzzzlllingrrrs cat its all down to how you observe it and whether your looking at it from the point of view of the apple or the earth.

Time doesn't exist its a "relative" thing !

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Biker! Happy Al Capone
Day!

Biker ya doity rat! On dis day in 1939 - Al Capone is freed from Alcatraz jail.

Alphonse Gabriel "Al" Capone (January 17, 1899 – January 25, 1947) was an American gangster who led a Prohibition-era crime syndicate. The Chicago Outfit, which subsequently also became known as the "Capones", was dedicated to smuggling and bootlegging liquor, and other illegal activities such as prostitution, in Chicago from the early 1920s to 1931.
Born in the borough of Brooklyn in New York City to Italian immigrants, Capone became involved with gang activity at a young age after being expelled from school at age 14. In his early twenties, he moved to Chicago to take advantage of a new opportunity to make money smuggling illegal alcoholic beverages into the city during Prohibition. He also engaged in various other criminal activities, including bribery of government figures and prostitution.
Despite his illegitimate occupation, Capone became a highly visible public figure. He made donations to various charitable endeavours using the money he made from his activities, and was viewed by many to be a "modern-day Robin Hood". Capone's public reputation was damaged in the wake of his supposed involvement in the 1929 Saint Valentine's Day Massacre, when seven rival gang members were executed.
Capone was convicted on federal charges of tax evasion in 1931 and sentenced to federal prison; he was released on parole in 1939. His incarceration included a term at the then-new Alcatraz federal prison. In the final years of Capone's life, he suffered mental and physical deterioration due to late-stage neurosyphilis, which he had contracted in his youth. On January 25, 1947, he died from cardiac arrest after suffering a stroke.

It is believed that Capone ordered the 1929 Saint Valentine's Day Massacre in the Lincoln Park neighbourhood on Chicago's North Side. Details of the killing of the seven victims in a garage at 2122 North Clark Street (then the SMC Cartage Co.) and the extent of Capone's involvement are widely disputed. No one was ever brought to trial for the crime. The massacre was thought to be the Outfit's effort to strike back at Bugs Moran's North Side gang. They had been increasingly bold in hijacking the Outfit's booze trucks, assassinating two presidents of the Outfit-controlled Unione Siciliana, and made three assassination attempts on Jack McGurn, one of Capone's top enforcers.
To monitor their targets' habits and movements, Capone's men rented an apartment across from the trucking warehouse that served as a Moran headquarters. On the morning of Thursday February 14, 1929, Capone's lookouts signalled gunmen disguised as police to start a "raid". The faux police lined the seven victims along a wall without a struggle then signalled for accomplices with machine guns. The seven victims were machine-gunned and shot-gunned. Photos of the massacre victims shocked the public and damaged Capone's reputation. Federal law enforcement worked to investigate his activities.

In 1929, the Bureau of Prohibition agent Eliot Ness began an investigation of Capone and his business, attempting to get a conviction for Prohibition violations. Frank J. Wilson investigated Capone's income tax violations, which the government decided was more likely material for a conviction. In 1931 Capone was indicted for income tax evasion and various violations of the Volstead Act (Prohibition) at the Chicago Federal Building in the courtroom of Judge James Herbert Wilkerson. His attorneys made a plea deal, but the presiding judge warned he might not follow the sentencing recommendation from the prosecution. Capone withdrew his plea of guilty.
His attempt to bribe and intimidate the potential jurors was discovered by Ness's men, The Untouchables. The venire (jury pool) was switched with one from another case, and Capone was stymied. Following a long trial, on October 17 the jury returned a mixed verdict, finding Capone guilty of five counts of tax evasion and failing to file tax returns (the Volstead Act violations were dropped). The judge sentenced him to 11 years imprisonment, at the time the longest tax evasion sentence ever given, along with heavy fines, and liens were filed against his various properties. His appeals of both the conviction and the sentence were denied. One of the Capone properties seized by the federal government was an armoured limousine. The limousine was later used to protect President Franklin D. Roosevelt after the attack on Pearl Harbour.
In May 1932, Capone was sent to Atlanta U.S. Penitentiary, but he was able to obtain special privileges. Later, for a short period of time, he was transferred to the Lincoln Heights Jail. He was transferred to Alcatraz on August 11, 1934, which was newly established as a prison on an island off San Francisco. The warden kept tight security and cut off Capone's contact with colleagues. His isolation and the repeal of Prohibition in December 1933, which reduced a major source of revenue, diminished his power.

During his early months at Alcatraz, Capone made an enemy by showing his disregard for the prison social order when he cut in line while prisoners were waiting for a haircut. James Lucas, a Texas bank robber serving 30 years, reportedly confronted the former syndicate leader and told him to get back at the end of the line. When Capone asked if he knew who he was, Lucas reportedly grabbed a pair of the barber's scissors and, holding them to Capone's neck, answered: "Yeah, I know who you are, greaseball. And if you don't get back to the end of that f+++++g line, I'm gonna know who you were."
Capone was admitted into the prison hospital with a minor wound and released a few days later. In addition, his health declined as the syphilis which he had contracted as a youth progressed. He spent the last year of his sentence in the prison hospital, confused and disoriented. Capone completed his term in Alcatraz on January 6, 1939, and was transferred to the Federal Correctional Institution at Terminal Island in California, to serve the one-year contempt of court term he was originally sentenced to serve in Chicago's Cook County jail.[SUP][33][/SUP] He was paroled on November 16, 1939, and, after having spent a short time in a hospital, returned to his home in Palm Island, Florida.

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
1973 - David Bowie appeared in his first TV special, "1980 Floor Show," broadcast on NBC's "Midnight Special.

View attachment 25196

1973 - Skylab 3 carrying a crew of three astronauts, was launched from Cape Canaveral, FL, on an 84-day mission.

2004 - A NASA unmanned "scramjet" (X-43A) reached a speed of nearly 10 times the speed of sound above the Pacific Ocean.

[video=youtube;IiBsD-cafH8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiBsD-cafH8[/video]

And happy birthday to our favourite Penguin, Burgess Meredith 1908.

View attachment 25197

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Wolf's Hour was good, but I liked the premise more than anything, tickled my imagination. Fevre Dream I've not read but am going to look out for, Wiki sounds good. It's always good to hear about good horror as a lot of it is sloppy and badly written, was given one to read in hospital a couple of years back which was just a catalogue of torture set in backwoods Norway, a very grim and un-enjoyable read, I find built tension much more enjoyable.

I've only read Rice's, An interview with the Vampire. I didn't enjoy it at all, but then I don't really like the genre. That said, if you like good horror. then Brian Lumley is your man. His Necroscope View attachment 25198 series is excellent, though my favourites are the, Psychomech, Psychamok, and Psychosphere trilogy.

View attachment 25199 View attachment 25200 View attachment 25201. He also writes in other genres too.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Don't fancy being in that scramjet! the tolerances for ending up as a crispy speck must be tiny. Bit of a rush though.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Tell you one I read a wee while back that was a real page turner for me was American Gods by Neil Gaiman. Was sad when I finished. Another was Halfhead by Stuart B. MacBride. Kind of a Taggart set in the near future Glasgow, good fun. Though one I kept re-reading (which I do a lot) as a sprog was The Brass Dragon by Marion Zimmer Bradley.

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Tell you one I read a wee while back that was a real page turner for me was American Gods by Neil Gaiman. Was sad when I finished. Another was Halfhead by Stuart B. MacBride. Kind of a Taggart set in the near future Glasgow, good fun. Though one I kept re-reading (which I do a lot) as a sprog was The Brass Dragon by Marion Zimmer Bradley.

I always enjoyed Anne McCaffrey's Dragon series, and many of her Sci Fi books, especially Decision at Doona, and The ship who sang.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE