BG needless killing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
well you grew up in the states pal, were quit picky about that sort of stuff, we even banned hunting with bows as
its barbaric, same with dogs. Im not going to talk about things ive seen because I wouldn't use anything that terrible
to prove some ridiculous point on a bushcraft forum, frankly im not going to sink to that level and im not that petty minded.
No disrespect to your experience but there are many on here who have served in warzones or seen things we wish we hadn't but I cant see the relevance to the OP?

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
I think you should go easy on the guy. The food he scavenges / hunts whilst on location is the mainstay of his diet. Leaving the show has clearly taken its toll on his appearance. A shadow of his former self

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I think there's a difference between killing for fun and killing for food in that regard.

Yes some difference. But then how many of us actually NEED to kill for food? The fact is that most of us who hunt or fish do so becaues we enjoy it. We may eat they quarry true enough, but that's not the reason we do it.

I'm not trying to belittle those who choose NOT to hunt, NOT to fish, NOT to eat meat, or NOT to watch Bear Grylls, bullfighting, or any other thing THEY find disturbing. What I AM somewhat irate about is the judgemental tones they seem to be taking towards those who do watch and/or participate. You can't superimpose your morality on others.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Our cornish crabs of about four pounds are quite big enough for us. To which variety of king crab were you referring? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_crab

Interesting how wiki contadicts irself. That article also said the listed species is a "stone crab." And yet in this one they get the true stone crab quite different: www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_stone_crab

At any rate the "King Crab" I was referring to is the true Alaska King crab: www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaskan_king_crab_fishing

Four pounds is probably actually a bit larger than Florida's most common Blue Crab (when we eat them we usually allow about a dozen per diner) But nowhere near a real crab worth fishing commercially for an expanded market.

Do you never eat "stuffed" fish? The stuffing is usually a a crab meat and bread crumb mixture using commercially fished crab.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Santaman, I find the pulling apart of a live animal such as a frog disgusting and cruel. Did you enjoy seeing the still living body of a frog writhing on the river bank? When I fish I pull them out and dispatch them with a priest, don't even let them die of suffocation....

Oh I forgot to mention in my last answer to this post that not only is a priest useless on catfish, but so is suffocation. They'll stay alive for days out of water and then survive just fine if returned to the water. Sometimes they actually crawl onto mud banks at night.

Sep 8, 2012
west sussex
HAHA gasp so suddenly your hero is a talk BS pmsl that's a change about,
I beleive your word was "impossible!" I don't honestly believe you mate, a pilot of that
level would understand simple physics wouldn't they, mind you what I will say is you have some balls
and that I respect, I mean repeatedly making your self look a lemon in public.
can we have another pic of a panda please?
I think this all stems back to when I said jeans where not ideal in the jungle LOL
that's it im not going to get dragged into anymore of your crap
im out, dinners ready then im taking my harrier up for a spin:cool:

Last edited:

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
Just my nickle, no more pennies here. You should always try to dispatch an animal the most humane way, that being said it is not always possible. When I do teach my clients I will bring in a fresh killed chicken and have them go at it the first time, progressing as their abilities and stomach allow. No real fan of Mr. Grylls, too extreme for my point of view. Most who do not have his endurance and abilities would eventually perish along the way at some point, learning curve in the bush is very abrupt.
But all said he is a very though man, probably a very nice lad when off the camera.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I beleive your word was "impossible!" I don't honestly believe you mate, a pilot of that
level would understand simple physics wouldn't they, mind you what I will say is you have some balls
I think this all stems back to when I said jeans where not ideal in the jungle LOL

I'll have to look back to see where/if I said "impossible. As I remember though, I said "unlikely" for a microlight and "impossible" for a "casual thrill seeker."

Bear Grylss isn't my hero; I never watch him. But not for the same reasons you choose. And more importantly, I don't superimpose my desire not to watch him on others.

You were the one who said that about jeans? I really don't remember because I take it for granted that few people on this forum like jeans. That really doesn't make you stand out from the crowd enough for me to remember you.

Frankly whatever you believe is you own business. But I have the documentaion to prove my experience; all relative certificates, military discharge (showing length of service and career field) as well as my diplomas showing the bachelor's degree already mentioned and two additional Associates degrees (one in Law Enforcement and another in in Aviation Metals) What documentation do you have?

Last edited:

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
well you grew up in the states pal, were quit picky about that sort of stuff, we even banned hunting with bows as
its barbaric, same with dogs. Im not going to talk about things ive seen because I wouldn't use anything that terrible
to prove some ridiculous point on a bushcraft forum, frankly im not going to sink to that level and im not that petty minded.

bow hunting wasn't banned per-say it just had such a small following they weren't part of the consultation and therefore didn't get a say. Dispatching an animal with a bow is no different than a rifle in the wrong hands.

ps I think you will find a frog is a sentient being PMSL.

depends on the definition -being sentient in the phlisophical sense requires consciousness and reason which animals do not posess they work on instict however the animal rights groups like to believe sentient means feeling please and pain (its a way to link their needs to ours and gain more support to the cause) - however that's more likely a response rather than sense as they dont analise it they react on instict.

personally I would only dispach an animal for for or for humaine reasons

Trolling your own thread i've seen it all now

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2012
west sussex
corso I think was replying to the troll in the only language he obviously understands,
a definition of a troll of a forum is somebody that seeks out a thread to disrupt it isn't it?
I didn't start with the snipping little comments if you look back through, in fact if you read the OP
I was looking for a reasoned adult debate? I simply gave my own personal view.
and only replied in a proportionate manner to his comments I think,
To which he has insisted on getting in there with more digs and then changing the subject
as soon as he is caught out, On the other hand I have not evaded or changed from my
original view as nothing has given me a reason to, which is a shame id at least hoped there would
be one interesting point, no actualy despite the dominating barrage from one individual
that seems to have absolutely not one valid point as too, should animals being killed, ever
be accepted as entertainment on TV apart from "its entertaining tho isn't it" there has been one or 2
good points from others (the gag reflex being over come)
Now im being asked how many certificates I have?? lol, this sort of sums up where any conversation
with that individual is going today, we have already had people dieing in planes etc
(saying that I used to work security at air shows and seen one guy stick his hurricane in the ground
like a dart, Shoreham airport 2007 santaman there for I must be right too?????)
apparently im trying to "superimpose"? my view on others. no im just replying, have a look at this
passive aggressive individuals replys to just about anyone that has agreed with my original point.
His acting like im trying to take away his guns or something. Saying that maybe somebody should :-D
RIGHT anyway can we have another amusing pic of a panda now please? and put it too rest?

Last edited:

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
in what regards?

In regards that everyone else on this thread has politeley given their take on the subject matter and you alone have been the only one to be rude and insulting. Without a single response having any real merit beyond your displeasure, you don't like it we get it but get over the fact some won't agree with you.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Four pounds is probably actually a bit larger than Florida's most common Blue Crab (when we eat them we usually allow about a dozen per diner) But nowhere near a real crab worth fishing commercially for an expanded market.

Do you never eat "stuffed" fish? The stuffing is usually a a crab meat and bread crumb mixture using commercially fished crab.

Forty pounds of crab per person, my respect if you can stuff that much crabmeat down your throats or don't you eat the white and brown meat in thebody? Never had a stuffed fish, does an ordinary fish not supply enough calories? Do you mean that such a crab is not worth catching to satisfy the expanded waistlines? Our fishermen find a ready market both locally and in France for their crabs. Spider crabs are also tasty. http://www.shellfishcornwall.org.uk/

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE