BG needless killing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Shame he didn't.

I presume you're a vegan if you argue that position! In my travels I've seen bats, frogs, snakes, spiders - even flies - eaten by the locals on a regular basis. I'm not sure one bat, one frog and one snake will damage the ecosystem overly. But, hey, each to his own...................

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
To consider BG's shows as 'survival tutorials' is just laughable & to think that you can learn survival techniques by watching a TV program is equally ridiculous.( it's like trying to learn a martial art by watching youtube vids) Let's face it, his is just one of many (un)reallity shows where someone is dumped in a 'hostile ' enviroment & pretend to be on the brink of starvation after only a couple of hours of chin wagging & desperatly looking for a critter to snuff just for the cameras. All this surrounded by a 5 man camera crew, doctors, 'survival experts' & where a helicopter is only 2 minutes away, ready to whisk them away to the nearest McDonalds & 4 star hotel.. Apparently most of BG's locations are shot less than 2 Km from a road. anyway....................it's TV....it's make belief.
I think the OP is asking whether or not we think it's right that BG kills an animal needlessly (& not always in the most humane way) , just to show the audience how it's done & for it's entertainment value.
Judging by the majority of the replies so far, the answer is it's fine, carry on BG

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
I presume you're a vegan if you argue that position! In my travels I've seen bats, frogs, snakes, spiders - even flies - eaten by the locals on a regular basis. I'm not sure one bat, one frog and one snake will damage the ecosystem overly. But, hey, each to his own...................

I think you may be confusing eating animals to live with killing something (& rarely eating it) just for the sake of sensationalism or entertainment. 2 very different things;

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
He could be prosecuted for causing unnecessary suffering to an animal in the UK.

6. A Scout is kind to animals.

Had to look that one up. It's different from ours which only says, "A scout is kind." Interesting that here most scouts seek the shooting merit badges and enjoy hunting and fishing.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I think you may be confusing eating animals to live with killing something (& rarely eating it) just for the sake of sensationalism or entertainment. 2 very different things;

Different yes. "Eating" animals isn't the only reason we kill "for food." Farmers regularly kill large numbers of deer, rabbits, and other animals that are edible but throw them onto trash heaps simply to prevent (or lessen) the amount of cash crop eaten by said animals. I've personally known many farmers who've killed rabits and left dismembered bit around the vegetable garden.

Sep 8, 2012
west sussex
To be honest I was expecting a small amount of blind hero worship, and I spose I should of seen the
old jehlousy chesnut get pulled out, but not as much as it has.
I was not expecting to be accused of being one of these people that only thinks meat comes from Tesco,s?
(did you read the original post?) Will add I attempted a year without any shop bought meat relying purely on meat
id fish and hunted, I broke 5 months in at a BBQ and that was that, not a bad effort for a confirmed carnivore I thought
(have you tried this experiment?)
Yeah the guy has climbed Everest, an amazing feat for any of the 1000s upon 1000,s that have reached the summit.
(tho I believe at the time he was the youngest? that's pretty cool) Terratorial S.A.S again very cool, didn't he fly over
Everest in a microlight jobby? whatever, very cool. And on top of that he seems a nice guy which always helps.
Non of this subtracts from my point tho, just seems its like you agree with me but are sort of desperately jumping
too defend BG, which don't make sense. Effect the ecosystem??? well no obviously not, most of the animals
are planted!
Ive hunted frogs with a spear and torch in jungle streams many times, big difference being they got toasted over a fire
and eaten, the rangers used too crunch up the bones head and all, I fish, everything I keep is eaten, if its not me its
my neighbours. As for important survival skills, what do we learn by seeing an animal dispatched in a barbaric way
(we don't learn anything do we?) its just so we can go eeerrrrrrrrr I cant believe he did that?! like grubby little kids
that enjoy pulling legs off spiders, its just shock TV.
Yes his shows are entertaining, no im not all sensitive, it don't effect me lol, im just pointing out the ridiculous hypocracy
of it, its all a bit of a joke, I was just asking for your point of view, I wasn't trying to force my view down your neck
(im very sorry if it came over that way) you can hate on me if you like for my views, there not going to change until
somebody gives a mature and reasoned view why this is acceptable for Bear too carry this out on TV for our entertainment.
Perhaps we should have a bit of sunday bullfighting on channel 4?
I joined this forum to learn from other members, and that's all this is about to be honest, tho I honestly don't think im going
to learn anything from the average Bear disciple so please hate away :-D

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
...Yeah the guy has climbed Everest, an amazing feat for any of the 1000s upon 1000,s that have reached the summit.
(tho I believe at the time he was the youngest? that's pretty cool) Terratorial S.A.S again very cool, didn't he fly over
Everest in a microlight jobby?.....

-So the selection and training standards for the TA are lower than for active duty? That seems to be what you're implying.
-Flew over Everest in a microlite!? Now THAT would be cool! Doutful one would make it over Everest though.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
....Ive hunted frogs with a spear and torch in jungle streams many times, big difference being they got toasted over a fire
and eaten, the rangers used too crunch up the bones head and all, I fish, everything I keep is eaten, if its not me its
my neighbours...

-I've gigged frogs too as a kid. We cut the legs off and skinned and fried them. The rest of the frog (inedible) was thrown live to the cat or back into the water to feed the other fish or gators. It's just the way it's done. nobody gives it a second thought.
-I eat most fish I catch (or share them as you describe) Unless they're trash fish; some of those get realeased if they're not considered undesirable. The ones that are undesirable simply get thrown on the bank to die and be eaten by scavengers. And those that are eaten (by me or friends) get gutted and cleaned while alive. Again, it's just the way it's done and nobody gives it a second thought.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
....a mature and reasoned view why this is acceptable for Bear too carry this out on TV for our entertainment.
Perhaps we should have a bit of sunday bullfighting on channel 4?....

-Bullfighting on tv? You don't have it?
-A reasoned argument why it's acceptable for entertainment? Because the public watches it and enjoys it. Perhaps you should try to present a reasoned and mature view WHY NOT.

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Yes, It is a demonstration of what it is possible to do to survive in a hopeless situation. I would be confident that our ancestors may have done such things in the past. I dont think he advocates we all should do it, but he demonstrates that the gag reflex can be overcome by hunger. You should be aware that other programmes he makes also involves killing animals when we are all aware meat can be got without killing stuff but going to Tesco. Don't watch it if it has such an affect on you.

I got ever so slightly lost here ... how is it possible to get meat without killing stuff by going to Tesco? Or did you mean killing at second-hand?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE