Better than watching TV

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
The start of a weekend meet and I'm all on my lonesome.
BCE54104-51A6-42AC-ACF7-DE90C4ACE37A-3749-000002E528D43445_zps99952bee.jpg

tonights TV beats Eastenders any day.

Druss

Forager
Jul 28, 2013
Leeds
We got rid of the TV about 6 months ago. We still watch movies and that on the laptop but getting rid of the idiot box is one of the best decisions we made. No TV License to pay for a start but the time it frees up to sit in the garden whittling a piece of wood and talking to my wife is priceless. Been reading that big book on British trees that has been sat taunting me for ages too.

Couldn't agree more mate. A weekend away in the wilderness beats anything ever made for TV.

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
If you still watch movies why not keep TV and just get rid of aerial or sat/cable? That way you could use TV just for movies etc.

TV license is only for BBC channels nothing more.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Druss

Forager
Jul 28, 2013
Leeds
If you still watch movies why not keep TV and just get rid of aerial or sat/cable? That way you could use TV just for movies etc.

It wasn't just the TV license, Were trying to remove forms of brain washing and propaganda from our lives. I was pretty much raised in front of the TV and i don't want that when I have kids. The adverts i fear play a big part in shaping the mind to allways want something better rather than appreciating what you have. Me and the mrs are trying to really break free from the bubble, we cancelled our contract phones for a cheap pay as you go deal and are trying to be careful with what money we have and not impulse buying. Were using our time a lot better now and are definitely closer for it. It has become the norm for a Tv to be the focal point in a living room, we now have a nice big fish tank where once there was a TV and it's a lot more relaxing to watch than x-factor.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
It wasn't just the TV license, Were trying to remove forms of brain washing and propaganda from our lives. I was pretty much raised in front of the TV and i don't want that when I have kids. The adverts i fear play a big part in shaping the mind to allways want something better rather than appreciating what you have. Me and the mrs are trying to really break free from the bubble, we cancelled our contract phones for a cheap pay as you go deal and are trying to be careful with what money we have and not impulse buying. Were using our time a lot better now and are definitely closer for it. It has become the norm for a Tv to be the focal point in a living room, we now have a nice big fish tank where once there was a TV and it's a lot more relaxing to watch than x-factor.

Hmmm a bit like growing up in the 70's then.

We didn't have a telly till late on, and I haven't had one for coming up for a decade now. Can watch stuff on I-player type things if I want. But what I like is I have to positively go looking to watch something. Can't come in, pop on the telly and veg. Always preferred reading, and it makes watching a movie on the 'puter more of an occasion. Only reason I have a phone is for work. Don't need it for that but the Doc's think it's a good idea due to health. Pay as you go and I refuse to pick up messages. Speak or text me. The 'puter is nice, apart from talking to folk, email and Skype are the way to get me. (Mrs lives abroad so it's cheaper).

Remember though a TV licence is for TV receiving equipment. Only in rare circumstances will they allow you to have a telly or video and believe you don't watch the BBC on it. Even without an ariel.

Also like the radio. Radio 4 is my mainstay, no c****y music and entertaining informed chat. Plus you can do things and listen to the radio.

More and more of my friends are getting rid of their telly's too, I think the way folk use the medium is now changing, though it has meant that in order to circumvent the increasingly advertising savvy internet you have to take more precautions.

Druss

Forager
Jul 28, 2013
Leeds
I was raised in the 80's and 90's and TV was just massive for us all. when i was older and had moved out on my own for many years I couldn't sleep unless the TV was on in the bedroom. I found a lot if not most of the people around me (I was in the building trade for 15 years) just totally took on board anything they were told as long as it came from the TV without even questioning it. Total trust and basing your world views on what information is drip fed through very bias media companies, it all just seemed mad to me. When i split with my ex i moved to London for a few years and didn't have a TV, I never got one the whole time i was down there and felt like it was a time in my life when i really grew up a lot and started questioning everything. When I met my wife we got a TV and had one until a bit ago. We never really watched that much TV as we were usually doing things on our laptops or other things, but the TV was allways on in the room. I used to get up and watch bbc or sky news before i went to work and came to realize that it has potential to shape your mood for the day. I start the day now by walking the dog and finding something positive while i'm out. Can be a funny growing tree, even come across a fox twice which i never thought i'd see in Beeston. I try now to avoid most forms of media altogether. I think a lot more and have even come to a point where if i have nothing to do i will look forward to having a good think :D

I've seen all this kind of brain washing and propaganda leak into social media now, with all the "share this if you think this is disgusting." usually accompanied by a pic of something that serves a pupose and gets people all riled up, not because i believe they are genuinely angry but because they feel they should be, it's the right response and they want everyone to know how normal they are.

When i watched the Werner Herzog - Happy People - A year in the Taiga documentary i found myself envious of the solitude of the people. I know Herzog likes to gloss over a lot and it's not a 100% accurate view of the people, but it is just living, being one with the land and basically being free.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I think you will find you are very much mistaken.

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Problem is you still have a receiver (your TV) and therefore still able to receive a broadcast signal.

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I can image them wanting to charge for a licence if you have an internet connection becasue you can watch BBC content online....

but I believe you only need a licence if you are watching/ recording live content. If it is an old program it seems your ok. But saying to mister BBC I have internet connection but don't watch live tv and they'll say yer right pay up...

I remember awhile ago BBC kept ringing me up saying I don't have a T.V. licence I need one - to which I kept replying I don't have a telly. They kept on not beliving me for sometime, even had "survey" people coming round to ask me "So what is your favourite tv program at the minute" [me being cynical but I thing they were trying to catch me out:) - but I really don't have a telly so that's not going to work:)] I said some Tv programs I liked 15-20 years ago when I did have a telly but I doubted there's much I'd be interested in now...

Last edited:

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
We don't have a TV either, been that way for a long time now, I was child of 80s too and had wall to wall TV, so I was fed up with it by the time I left home. Saying that, we have to borrow a TV to watch the Olympics once every 2 years and last year we had it at Christmas too, but the kids just sat and watched cbbc and that trashy kids station called pop all day *sigh*

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
I can image them wanting to charge for a licence if you have an internet connection becasue you can watch BBC content online....

but I believe you only need a licence if you are watching/ recording live content. If it is an old program it seems your ok. But saying to mister BBC I have internet connection but don't watch live tv and they'll say yer right pay up...

I remember awhile ago BBC kept ringing me up saying I don't have a T.V. licence I need one - to which I kept replying I don't have a telly. They kept on not beliving me for sometime, even had "survey" people coming round to ask me "So what is your favourite tv program at the minute" [me being cynical but I thing they were trying to catch me out:) - but I really don't have a telly so that's not going to work:)] I said some Tv programs I liked 15-20 years ago when I did have a telly but I doubted there's much I'd be interested in now...

I was sweating a little because I had read some nice horror stories on the internet. My actual experience was a guy eventually turned up came round had a look took some notes and that was it. No more ugly threatening letters assuming criminality. Every two years there's a thing through the door, do an update on the internet and that's it.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
You can always turn this on, turn up the speakers and put on some lovely Simply Stupid Midge Repellent for the smoky smell. Turn the lights out and sit with a glass of malt.

If you don't have a real one at home that is.

[video=youtube;eyU3bRy2x44]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyU3bRy2x44[/video]

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I supose that's good for these summer months, but in the winter it's nice to have a real one - with real heat [and real mess:(]

For some reason it doesn't look as impressive on a small tablet/ iphone/ gadgety thing :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I supose that's good for these summer months, but in the winter it's nice to have a real one - with real heat [and real mess:(]

For some reason it doesn't look as impressive on a small tablet/ iphone/ gadgety thing :)

You could rub "Deep Heat" on your face and hold it really close!:eek:

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
I was raised in the 80's and 90's and TV was just massive for us all. when i was older and had moved out on my own for many years I couldn't sleep unless the TV was on in the bedroom. I found a lot if not most of the people around me (I was in the building trade for 15 years) just totally took on board anything they were told as long as it came from the TV without even questioning it. Total trust and basing your world views on what information is drip fed through very bias media companies, it all just seemed mad to me. When i split with my ex i moved to London for a few years and didn't have a TV, I never got one the whole time i was down there and felt like it was a time in my life when i really grew up a lot and started questioning everything. When I met my wife we got a TV and had one until a bit ago. We never really watched that much TV as we were usually doing things on our laptops or other things, but the TV was allways on in the room. I used to get up and watch bbc or sky news before i went to work and came to realize that it has potential to shape your mood for the day. I start the day now by walking the dog and finding something positive while i'm out. Can be a funny growing tree, even come across a fox twice which i never thought i'd see in Beeston. I try now to avoid most forms of media altogether. I think a lot more and have even come to a point where if i have nothing to do i will look forward to having a good think :D

I've seen all this kind of brain washing and propaganda leak into social media now, with all the "share this if you think this is disgusting." usually accompanied by a pic of something that serves a pupose and gets people all riled up, not because i believe they are genuinely angry but because they feel they should be, it's the right response and they want everyone to know how normal they are.

When i watched the Werner Herzog - Happy People - A year in the Taiga documentary i found myself envious of the solitude of the people. I know Herzog likes to gloss over a lot and it's not a 100% accurate view of the people, but it is just living, being one with the land and basically being free.

You speak a lot of truth in that post, and I agree 100%.

One of the things I admired about the Muslim faith when I lived abroad was that it teaches you that the desire for material wealth is the road to unhappiness. Although I am a Christian, I took a lot away from that. In the West, all the TV seems to do is drive you to spend money you don't have on things you don't need. Leading to debt. Leading to stress of servicing that debt. Leading, if you were a cynic, to a subservient populous who will never demonstrate or question authority as they are too scared of losing their job as the debt needs to be fed.

Shiney thing make it all better etc etc.

Couple that with a young mind that is taught to accept anything that it sees on the gogglebox, and you have a recipe for the disaster of free thinking, and the success of enslavement.

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
I think you will find you are very much mistaken.

I think you will find that I am very much correct. The license is for BBC or more specifically live BBC broadcasts which is the same reason you are technically breaking law if you watch live shows via iPlayer if you don't have license. Its not just for having TV hardware, otherwise you would need a license to have many newer PC monitors/mini HDTV's.

Problem is you still have a receiver (your TV) and therefore still able to receive a broadcast signal.

Legally it doesn't make a difference, They cant impose a license simply for having the hardware in same way they cant impose a driving license simply for owning a car.

The license is for the use of the BBC service, specifically the live broadcasts. They may try and strong arm you and other crap but at end of day they can force you to pay for something you are not using or force you to use it just to charge you.

caffeine

Banned
Jul 29, 2012
Earth
there is a loophole btw ... the law states you are not allowed to watch/record any live broadcast ... i've been without a tv license now for over 3 years ... best thing I did .... saved a **** ton of money too :D

youtube is much more educational hehe BBC IS FULL OF PROPAGANDA AND LIES !!!!!

OPEN YOUR EYES ;)

BBC is still denying that geoengineering / weather modification is taking place
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jf0khstYDLA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEfJO0-cTis
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhFTuShmkgU

who needs scumbag liars ??? also who needs brainwashed saps that spew out what they hear on the news.

and does this look normal to you ...
chemtrails4.jpg

Last edited:

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
One of the things I admired about the Muslim faith when I lived abroad was that it teaches you that the desire for material wealth is the road to unhappiness.

Must be different Muslims that occupy the town over the hill from me ....

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE