Best way to cook bread on a stick?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Ginger said:
Tony,

That's an interesting looking frypan/wok affair you are cooking yur bannock on.

What is it?
What is it made from?
How thick it is?
How heavy is it?
Does it spread heat evenly?
Where did you get it from?
Do you like it?
How much did it cost?

:)

Sorry, didn't see this before :roll:

Cast Iron Paella pan about 5 mm thick, not sure how heavy but heavy enough for me to never think about putting it in my rucksack! Yeah, it spreads heat very well, it's great for cooking on. I got this one from a place called boundary mills near Skipton for about £28.
I think it's a great bit of kit for a fixed camp situation. I got if for the meet ups as it's a good size and after it's been coated with lard and baked for hours it's very non-stick and a dream to cook on.

I think that covers the questions! :biggthump

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
I just had a great feed , made myself some damper for the first time. It turned out great was good hot with butter on it.A was good dipping it into chicken curry :super:

Moine

Forager
Ridge Runner said:
What ingrediants do you carry? What methods do you use? What do you call it?

I have heard it called "Bannok" and "Hardtack".

Any help would be appreciated.
On a stick ?

2 cups of flour (whole wheat !!!)
1 pinch of salt
Baking powder (will raise a little and make the dough easier on the stomach... other wise you can use anything that will produce CO2 bubbles, from beer to spontaneous ferments, which develop exponentially after 24-36 hours at 25°C ;)).
Just enough water to make a very thick, non-sticking dough (around half a cup, sometimes more sometimes less, depends on the flour !).

Mix the dry stuff first, then add water.

Get a big, good tasting stick (hazel, beech, maple, birch) about wrist sized. Avoid toxic woods (laburnum pops to mind). Peel the bark off. Pre-heat it over your coals. Apply the dough evenly (no twisted stuff, just apply the dough about hald an inch thick all over the stick). Let it "dry" a little on the ontside, then rub some butter on the forming crust to make it roast perfectly.

Put the stick horizontally, too. This way you get a much moer even cooking. Rotate every minute or so until it's cooked to the bone ;)

Enjoy with a strong tea and honey, with a few good friends near a wild, icy lake at 6 am.

Cheers,

David

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Best bread in the wilds: get some pine bark, crush it between two rocks, mix water and cook it on a stick. For the whole thing you only need wood, water and stone, and it tastes lovely and is very good for you.

Simca

Nov 6, 2004
Hungary
www.survival.hu
Moine said:
On a stick ?

2 cups of flour (whole wheat !!!)
1 pinch of salt
Baking powder (will raise a little and make the dough easier on the stomach... other wise you can use anything that will produce CO2 bubbles, from beer to spontaneous ferments, which develop exponentially after 24-36 hours at 25°C ;)).
Just enough water to make a very thick, non-sticking dough (around half a cup, sometimes more sometimes less, depends on the flour !).

Mix the dry stuff first, then add water.

Get a big, good tasting stick (hazel, beech, maple, birch) about wrist sized. Avoid toxic woods (laburnum pops to mind). Peel the bark off. Pre-heat it over your coals. Apply the dough evenly (no twisted stuff, just apply the dough about hald an inch thick all over the stick). Let it "dry" a little on the ontside, then rub some butter on the forming crust to make it roast perfectly.

Put the stick horizontally, too. This way you get a much moer even cooking. Rotate every minute or so until it's cooked to the bone ;)

Enjoy with a strong tea and honey, with a few good friends near a wild, icy lake at 6 am.

Cheers,

David

I found out that the whole wheat flour have relatively smaller percent of gluten, so it's not as sticky as the white flour. It dripped down from the stick when I tried this techniqe.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE