Best way to carry kit?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I use either a shoulder bag or small ruck sack.
As others have said - those not in the military tend to look complete bell ends walking around in webbing. Well, I think they do.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
if you don't like funny looks or abuse i wouldn't use plce or assult vests. they also have the disadvantage of making you look like a wana-be rambo and genrally suspicious.

pete

Well, I get funny looks whether I'm wearing webbing or not... The only item that seems to get me abuse (for some reason I cant' fathom) is my Tilley hat.

The best answer I can give to the original question is "it depends". For a short outing from home or a base vehicle, I use a daysack. For a short outing from a base camp that I've had to walk into with a full pack, and for keeping small items and essential survival kit organised and easy to hand whilst carrying a full pack, I use webbing.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I use a small cheap 20l daysack. Fits two 58 pat waterbottles in each side pocket, first aid kit in lid pocket and stove and anything else I need in the main compartment.

20May20104.jpg

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
If i`m out for the day a 35l daysack is plenty,
a 55l climbing sac for a weekend ,
and a cyclops roc 70l for anything more .

If the family tag along its a ford transit ex police riot van

Craig.............

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My handbag has been suspected of possessing tardis like qualities :D

A small Berghaus daysack usually works otherwise.

Depends how long I'm out and how far I have to carry it.

cheers,
Toddy

Culloch

Forager
Jun 22, 2008
Australia
Have to agree with previous posts..PLCE or similar will make you look like a complete edited for language unless your are genuinely a serving member!
People (especially real servicemen will take one look at you and think " Walt ! " ).
It defo gives the "wanabee" impression and lets face it unless you are carrying a full issue of 5.56mm there's much more appropriate kit out there!
A decent 25 - 40 ltr daysack is much more useful for short trips and people don't tend to smirk and nod at their mates like they do with saddo's trying too hard to give the impression that they are off duty Blades!
Sorry if this offends but its just the opinion gained from wearing the stuff for 22 years!

...EDIT: There's plenty of Mil Kit that is perfect for crafty stuff, Bivi jackets, Bergans, Windproof smocks, Bivi Bags and Gonk Bags to name a few and all available at good value prices but if you don't like the "Walt" label I'd stay away from Assault / COP / LBE Vests, webbing of any type (any more than a water bottle pouch on yer belt and you're on dodgy ground!)
JMHO

Last edited by a moderator:

TaTanka

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 28, 2010
Texas
Depends on how long I'm out for. Just a day or an overnighter generally I take my shoulder bag as it'll hold everything i need to carry with me.

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
Nice matey I wish i could afford it lol

Im stuck with a daysack that i got from a car boot for £3 lol not all that bad though only carries about 15 litres i would say

Oh and my OG longback Bergen which is wicked but a bit too big for a day sack lol

Dave

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I still manage day walks so a small back pack, 15 - 30 litres will do. I don't bother much taking a stove anymore just a 1 litre Thermos full of tea or hot chocolate, sarnies, fruit, biscuits, tinned pate, half bottle of wine or perhaps a plastic tub of nice salad with meat or fish and of course my radio for Radio 4.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
Have to agree with previous posts..PLCE or similar will make you look like a complete edited for language

Ah....see it didn't take long for the Insults!

:sigh: it's just a bunch of useful pouches.....

Last edited by a moderator:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE