Best Rucksack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ralph

Forager
Oct 31, 2005
lost
After going through several backpacks;) , I have settled on the NI PLCE 35 litre pack, and, although a little heavy, I have found it perfect for my bushcraft and camping needs. I was just wondering how many (if any) other people have this pack, and if so, what do you think of it? Also, what rucksacks would people recommend to a buyer of something similar to the NI pack?:)
The rucksack I'm talking about is herehttp://www.surplusandadventure.com/ishop/800/shopscr2108835.html

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
I don't know your rucksack (link doesn't seem to work), but I really like the Highlander Forces I've got! Mine is a bit bigger though, at 88L ;) Highlanderhas smaller sacks, and they don't cost much at all. Very good buy, and good quality.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I think the Patrol Pack is an excellent piece of kit, in fact its on the Most Wanted List of alot of none Teeth Arm Unit squaddies!
Although not the most comfortable, it is rugged and above all squaddie proof - and if a squaddie can't brake it its worth having.:D Most of the time.
I have wanted one for a while, just not got round to buying it yet!

I also like its big brother (the short back version), again not the most comfortable and a little on the heavy side but squaddie proof!!

One bergen/rucksack I despise is the army PLCE turtle pack. To me its got to be the worst designed pack availabe, but that's just my opinion.

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
i've just picked up a Macpac Glissade. Thankfully I was able to get it second hand as they're £180 new!

An amazing piece of kit, seriously tough and very comfy I haven't had a chance to properly field test it yet but am looking forward to it

I had a Snugpak Bergen before and thought it was pretty damn good too, just too small for me

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'm dull and like my Sabre 45 in that range - although one of my most used is a Karrimor with a zip off cover over the harness - I forger the name but its a 45 litre sack with a 20 litre daysack attached. The whole shebang turns into a holdall. Dead useful for flying and then turning back into a rucksack, two packs for the price of one and it cost about £40 when someone was closing doen a store. Its also in Bushie Green which is nice

Got to love a bargain!

Red

qweeg500

Forager
Sep 14, 2003
Hampshire
My best ever pack is my current one - a Maxpedition Vulture 3 day pack (46L). It's big enough for your gear on a long weekend or you can use the compression straps to use it as a large day sack. Maxpedition stuff is really designed and built well too.
I usually like more traditional packs so it's unusual for me to get something with loads of nooks and crannies.
Also I quite like the look of the new Fjallraven Vintage 20L for smaller outings. Does anyone have one of these?

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aguille Alpine sacs for me. But then I come from a climbing background. Not cheap but excellent quality & after sales, very stable & comfy and British made (well Cumbrian).

Got a 45l and 75l sac - the 75l is cross between 2 of their standard packs, made specially for me no extra charge just a couple of weeks wait. Also had a soft backed 40l sac - again great, even with heavy loads. Only sold it as I've too many sacs.

I've also got an old North Face Exocet - 30l pleated pockets great for days (can you still get these). Plus a Haglofs Tight Pro medium nice zipped 25l sac.

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
For longer trips: Berghaus Vulcan. Bombproof since 15 years.

Medium size: A scatter of sacks. Berghaus Alpine, Grivel Light 42, Arcteryx Bora 40 and (since I wanted a medium pack with side pockets) the Karrimor Sabre 45. Of these I like the Grivel and the Karrimor the best.

Small size: MacPac Tuatara 35 since about 8 years.
My abolutely most highly valued piece of kit that I've got. I can't praise this sack highly enough. It's been my constant companion on mountain tours (summer as well as winter), climbing, hiking, mountaineering, skiing, cycling, canoeing, kayaking and general bushcrafty days out. It's small enough to be worth taking for just a day out, but still big enough for a 2 day with overnight trip. This sack has never let me down, and still it's got many years left to go.

/ Karl

machifu

Banned
Jan 19, 2010
somewhere

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
i have several as most on here do, got a og long back plce bergen and side pockets for the big stuff, large alice for the fishing gear, dutch army lowe alpine strike with side pockets from endy's, says its 40 litres but its more like a 55 with the pockets, but no frame it it, and for more technical stuff or non bushy stuff i have a osprey kestrel 38, outstanding pack, bit pricey but i got a mates discount on it, got it for £50.
they al have a place and use. did look at the ni pack, but fancied the back length of the strike more, also a bit different, and wanted to try the dutch stuff as have been very pleased with iit so far.

rob

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
I've swapped it a long time ago. Rating my packs:

- Berghaus Vulcan: 7
- Haglofs Alaska: 6 (problems with waistbelt, otherwise an 8)
- Lowe Saracen: 8
- LK70 (Swedish army, made by Haglofs 1982): 8
- Sabre 45: 8

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Aguille Alpine sacs for me. But then I come from a climbing background. Not cheap but excellent quality & after sales, very stable & comfy and British made (well Cumbrian).

Got a 45l and 75l sac - the 75l is cross between 2 of their standard packs, made specially for me no extra charge just a couple of weeks wait. Also had a soft backed 40l sac - again great, even with heavy loads. Only sold it as I've too many sacs.

I've also got an old North Face Exocet - 30l pleated pockets great for days (can you still get these). Plus a Haglofs Tight Pro medium nice zipped 25l sac.

I am so glad you have mentioned Aiguille as I have ordered a custom one from them recently. Yet to get it but I understand it has been cutout awaiting its turn to be sewn together. It is a half way between two of their standard sacks in a special back length, All for halfway between the two pack prices I think. Kind of said that price but not sure if he'll remember so I'll have to wait and see what I end up paying. He seems a genuine chap. Gave me some advice on other purchases in othere things he doesn't sell but knows a bit about.

My other sacks are a very small old Karrimor sack passed on to me by My Dad, an Karrimor bottom of the range 65 litre pack but was light, adjustable pack and got me through my DofE bronze expedition at about 13years. A Karrimor wild crag (or something like that) my own first purchase at 18yrs was a plain padded back, very light and a tallish climbing style but was a lower range pack. I'd give that an 8 at the time but a 6 now. Then a Vaude Triset 35+8litre sack - a trail and TGO top buy but only an 8 as it is heavy, I also have a Berghaus Extrem Alpine 50+10litre sack. A nice clean and light alpine climbing sack. My old winter pack that became my badckpacking sack. Wasn't comfortable when I first used it so ended up behind my wardrobe never being used. However when I got into backpacking it was my only large pack since I had lent my old 65 litre sack to someone. I had a 28kg-ish or more load weight in it with a lot strapped to the outside. The weight loaded onto my hips worked as well as a heavy load can and it also solved the uncomfortable but that used to rub me raw until I bled. I guess the weight sorted that ut by modifying the shape of the semi-rigid padding. It is now a brilliant sack a definite 9 or even a 10.

I now use a 2 litre alpkit gourdon drybag sack that is only 600g and is absolutely perfect for me for daywalks throughout the whole year. Absolutely brilliant. a definate 10 or even 11 out of 10!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE