Best place to get leather?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
I'm thinking of having ago at making my own sheath for my frosts mora and perhaps some soft leather draw string bags, but I'm not sure what I need.

I mean do I need a special needle thread, I'll be doing it by hand, and where is the best place to get leather?

Thanks guys.

P

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
for sheath making i think you will need 3mm veg tanned leather but im not sure
leon

leon-1

Hi mate, they would be two different grades and types of leather, the sheath your probably going to require 2.5 - 3mm. Little leather bags probably 1mm or less.

Linen thread graded 18/3 for the sheath, dependant on the construction probably 25/3 for the leather pouches.

Saddlers needles are best for the sheath (they are not very sharp), for finer leathers you can use glovers needles (be aware they are sharp), but saddlers could be used for these as well.

For leather in small quantities I am not overly sure to be honest, Brisa sells leather in small quantities, but it is expensive. You could try phoning LePrevo telling them what your needs are and asking if they have any 3mm offcuts that would be of use to you.

There are other things that you will want, probably an overstitch wheel and an awl at the least. I would go for 5 to an inch (you don't need to have an overstitch wheel it just makes life easier).

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
OK more to it than I perhaps first thought, but that's cool makes for a more interesting life!

Knew I could rely on you guys! :You_Rock_

waylander

May 9, 2006
Co.Durham - Consett
cheers led for the link to the site, Ive been wanting to get into leather craft and especially make my own belt to take any belt buckle I wish (Im a big fellow so its not easy to find one is stores) for a while. Best of all im only a 20-30min bus ride from the shop.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE