Best place in the world to live for the BC enthusiast

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

garethw

Settler
I'm lucky enough to have travelled the world and been "out" in most environments - Jungle, Desert, Arctic, Tropical Island, Northern Forest - you name it.

Before now I would have said Canadian Rockies (truly magical) - but since moving here I'll go for France, mainly because it has an amazing variety of geography and topography in a relatively small area (I can find a piece of the Canadian Rockies in the Alps). It has roughly half the population density of UK and so many more forest and wilderness areas. In my experience they are also much more relaxed with the laws of camping out and firelighting (providing you don't start a fire south of the Loire Valley in summer - in which case you will go to jail - pretty much for ever!). I live next to Fontainebleau Forest - over 100 sq miles of mixed (mainly broadleaf) woodland and the only thing I have to take care about is La Chasse de Sanglier (Boar Hunt) which takes place most Sundays.

I aslo have travelled widely and countries like Canada and Sweden do stand out.. but after 25 years in France I also find it a wonderful country for the variety of its countryside, from forest to mountains to sea...
One word on Fin's post though.. Wild camping is illegal in France. Ok I do it all the time, but be aware you can get fined by the ONF guards. Generally though if you just set up camp of an evening and move on next day, you'll never get any hassle. Seasonal bylaws aside fire is not a problem that I've found. They put up signs when you can't light a fire in a forest area.
Most boar and deer hunts are pretty hard to miss, as all the guys wear bright orange vests and arm bands. So you just move on from their area.
Fin you might want to check out the forests in the Ardennes, east of you.. far more wild than those around Paris. I lived in Paris for 15 years but here where I am in the champage region is much more like it.

Mes Amitiés à Tous
Gareth

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I think I choose the south from my cunrty Argentina, many great places and really nice mountains (I love em)

Esteban

It is surprising that more folks aren't mentioning any South American countries as a possible destination, pretty much every biome imaginable can be found there. :)

Last edited:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Your right.

Im told that Columbia has the most mixed Biomes in the world. (And Bulgaria for Europe)

Surinam, perhaps, lots of culture, and they drive on the correct side of the road

I aslo have travelled widely and countries like Canada and Sweden do stand out.. but after 25 years in France I also find it a wonderful country for the variety of its countryside, from forest to mountains to sea...
One word on Fin's post though.. Wild camping is illegal in France. Ok I do it all the time, but be aware you can get fined by the ONF guards. Generally though if you just set up camp of an evening and move on next day, you'll never get any hassle. Seasonal bylaws aside fire is not a problem that I've found. They put up signs when you can't light a fire in a forest area.
Most boar and deer hunts are pretty hard to miss, as all the guys wear bright orange vests and arm bands. So you just move on from their area.
Fin you might want to check out the forests in the Ardennes, east of you.. far more wild than those around Paris. I lived in Paris for 15 years but here where I am in the champage region is much more like it.

Mes Amitiés à Tous
Gareth

That's a timely tip Gareth as it's one of the areas of the country we haven't visited (my partner was originally from the North - around Lille and her family moved to the Languedoc/ Rousillion region when she was very young - after uni she moved to Seine et Marne with her job. We are thinking of moving though because, whilst it's very beautiful, it's the equivalent of the Surrey stockbroker belt - i.e. hugely expensive.) We've been to Troyes where we have friends but I'm assuming you're a bit further North (Vouziers? Foret d'Argonne area?). Funnily enough it was my experience with a couple of ONF rangers which prompted my "common sense" tag. I was teaching a couple of kids of friends of ours firelighting technique/ etiquette prior to a picnic lunch when up rode a couple of ONF rangers on horseback. Technically, I was breaking the law but they watched my demonstration without saying a word and we invited them to join us for lunch. During lunch they took a keen interest in my gear - especially the sharps and all the while I was conscious of the fire and that something was going to be said. My French isn't yet good enough to follow all of the conversation and it turned out that I needn't have worried as my partner explained later...After lunch the demonstration continued with the disposal of the fire and after I had swept the area with dead beech leaves they said "Bravo Monsieur - bon journee" and left. My partner later explained that their interpretation of the law was to cover the youngsters who come out and scar the land with bonfires and leave their beer cans all over the place - not "people who know what they do" - as she said.

E

Elements

For my travels and expeditions, places I would love to go back to live in is Yukon area 3 days above Dawson City, Sweden Ostersund or above, New Zealand middle of South Island / west coast, Norway with Sami people near Roros, and Mozambique / South Africa to experience life a little differently.

Places I intend on exploring more is Poland and 100% Romania after this thread

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Bonnie Scotland for me although I'd love to visit Oz and a bit of outbacking, and Virginia, meet up with a couple of friends there and do a bit of a trip to the Blue Ridge Mountains maybe on horseback.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Bonnie Scotland for me although I'd love to visit Oz and a bit of outbacking, and Virginia, meet up with a couple of friends there and do a bit of a trip to the Blue Ridge Mountains maybe on horseback.

Stan and Laurel?
I remember you telling me about them..

Didn't know they were gay, not that it matters a jot..

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Scotland :D

I quite fancy seeing the Volcanic / glacier lakes on Iceland though, and the Indian subcontinent forests are supposed to be superb.

cheers,
Toddy

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
Beautiful British Columbia, with out doubt.

And if everything goes well with our application we should be living somewhere in the Thompson valleys/Okanagon, probably Kamloops this year.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
new zealand north and south islands australia canada any jungle and then back to wales regards dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE