Best foam mat?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
Looking for a lighter weight and more robust/versatile sleeping mat than the inflatable ones I have, I'm searching for the best foam mat.
Already have a cheap EVA closed cell one (type you can find anywhere) but its insulation is far from ideal so I'm looking for something better to hang on my backpack to insulate my hammock, tarp and tent holidays.
When weight is less important I can always add one of my inflatables for more comfort.

The perfect one would obviously weigh nothing, be insulating enough for anything on planet earth, robust and compact when rolled...

Maybe a closed cell mat with cells filled with some less conductive, lighter than nitrogen gas? That could certainly help carrying the mat...
Or one with a reflective layer built in?

Anyone who can point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance,
Lasse

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I've long been a fan of the foam mats made by Thermarest - not the Ridgerest but the other one that looks like a huge miniature egg box. They're light, hard wearing can be used easily and sensibly as a seat and to sleep on a very comfortable. Combine it with an inflatable one and you have a very cosy and comfortable sleeping combo.. Best of all, because they fold, rather than roll up for storage, they're a lot easier and more compact to pack.

The more expensive Multimat mats are good too, particularly the Expedition ones which are warmer and more resilient than their cheaper cousins.

Bravo4

Nomad
Apr 14, 2009
New Mexico, USA
I use a Ridgerest. I'm waiting for somebody to make a sleeping pad out of Aerogel.

aerogelcrayons.jpg

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
For a foam matt dont think there's many better than the two ply ''original Karimatt'' ive had one for about 20yrs still going strong and very good insulation, the down side is it comes in a rather non bushy yellow one side purple the other.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Last edited:

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
But be aware that's only 84cm long.
And it weighs almost 400gr :x

Thanks for all replies guys!

So there's not much innovation at all in the light weight foam mat industry is there?

The Nato mats look interesting as a budget option, anyone tried one in cold weather (like -10°C) ?
The Multimat Expedition Summit looks interesting as well, claiming it's good enough down to -60°C for only 300gr.

hobonick

Oct 30, 2012
london
Don’t know if anyone’s done this already but i bought a cheap £9 gelert military foam mat and cut it down to 40cm wide, i folded it in half and sandwiched a piece of half inch soft open cell foam i had lying about between the two layers

packs down quite small and weighs 340g at 40x90cm, haven’t properly tested it outside yet but feels quite comfortable and a vast improvement so far for the weight added

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE