Best crab locations (Devon)

Aug 2, 2011
Devon
facebook.com
I am big into hand catching crabs whilst free diving. I was wondering what are the best spots around Devon are for finding a nice big ones. so far only smalls around Teignmouth (ness beach my regular spot) usually only about 1 meter deep waters.
also I have a few suggestions for free diving kits for hand catching crabs.

if your worried about being pinched the best gloves I have found is winter motorcycle gloves or leather gloves. with armour on, These tend to give good protection against hitting your knuckles against rocks when in wavy seas. also great for when the little blighters pinch you, you cant feel a thing besides a small amount of pressure.

Savagewolfrm

Nomad
Oct 29, 2008
North Devon
Hi there
Depends if your willing to travel. In north Devon we have some great spots like watersmouth in ilfracombe and the rocks around saunton. These have some great sized crabs as we have managed to nab some on a crab line
Atb
Rick

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
no need for gloves,when i used to catch brown crabs we grab them with finger and thumb holding them at the base of thier back legs.spider crabs are good to.if you can find somewhere shallow enough maybe some scallops.not forgetting spearfishing for bass.with all of these comes the responsiblity of leaving the under size ones for the future.
ade

Aug 2, 2011
Devon
facebook.com
no need for gloves,when i used to catch brown crabs we grab them with finger and thumb holding them at the base of thier back legs.spider crabs are good to.if you can find somewhere shallow enough maybe some scallops.not forgetting spearfishing for bass.with all of these comes the responsiblity of leaving the under size ones for the future.
ade

I agree not catching the smalls I usually throw back the smallest catchs of the trip and keep one for my effort. I find grabbing from behind is a as if your scooping them up. a good tactic if your fast enough to catch em. the gloves add a more no fear factor of being pinched

Aug 2, 2011
Devon
facebook.com
Hi there
Depends if your willing to travel. In north Devon we have some great spots like watersmouth in ilfracombe and the rocks around saunton. These have some great sized crabs as we have managed to nab some on a crab line
Atb
Rick

Im finding rather small shore crabs about 6cms claw to claw (shell end to shell end) not great But they have to do.

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
big brown crabs can get their claws underneath.up ilfracome way is pretty rocky so lots of nooks and crannies.teignmouth is on an estury so try get down some more,torquay,brixham is good for scallops on a low spring tide.

Aug 2, 2011
Devon
facebook.com
big brown crabs can get their claws underneath.up ilfracome way is pretty rocky so lots of nooks and crannies.teignmouth is on an estury so try get down some more,torquay,brixham is good for scallops on a low spring tide.

Where I go there is plenty of rocks for the crab to hide out. Ness beach on shaldon side makes for lots of rocky areas. scallops I haven't yet caught don't really know where to go to find any. or what there preferred habitat is. although I did find one in a scuttle fish box whilst working at brixham harbour, ( I did ask if I could take it home) At the time I had no idea if you could eat them or even what it was and when I got home I popped it open and it was still alive, so I just threw away the bits inside. I would love to catch some but I have found some evidence of them around there (old shells usually cracked) I have a picture of it hope its posted.

Aug 2, 2011
Devon
facebook.com
hardcor-sniper

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2011
Devon
facebook.com
update: I have invested in cheapy crab line. plan is to float above the surface in deepish waters and let the crab line do all the hard work. theory is to get to the big boys deeper out, to where normal crab lines cannot reach out.

dave2010

Aug 8, 2011
Devon
BIG spidercrabs off Wembury beach. Spoke to a friend who works for the conservation people there and she said they're fine to take. I think we went down to about 3 or 4 metres.

Dec 21, 2014
Taunton
Hello Nathan, I have just joined the site and found this post. Posted back in 2011, I wondered if the theme is still one you are enthusiastic about? I often find myself down Meadfoot, Teignmouth, Wembury.
Brilliant low water spring tide coming up early next year - weather/wind permitting, it should offer the best low water spring tide this side of the year 2026, and in Devon (from memory) this low water spring tide should be a convenient "lunchtime" tide. Should at least be good for a rock pool crab hunt!

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Hello Nathan, I have just joined the site and found this post. Posted back in 2011, I wondered if the theme is still one you are enthusiastic about?

I don't think he is as his last recorded activity was in September 2011, just over a month after he joined the forum :)

Join Date02-08-2011
Last Activity07-09-2011 23:42

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE