Best Bushcraft Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nicklas Odh

Forager
Mar 3, 2006
Ed, Sweden
I myself prefer the Fallkniven F1 although the Mora 2000 might be as sharp although they have a completely different blade shape.
The F1 can be regrinded to suit whatever need you want.
I was thinking about sloping the spine to make the knife to look a little more like the RM woodlore knife. I am thinking about buying an H1 because people say its superior to the F1 for hunting and wilderness use. I have an S1 and a WM1 I havent used yet and some extra F1s for spare. I will maybe use the WM1 for "food knife" and the S1 as a cut and pry tool next summer or so.
I will post pictures of the remake of the F1

TAHAWK

Nomad
Jan 9, 2004
Ohio, U.S.A.
BorderReiver said:
TAHAWK said:
The wise man knows the difference between "want" and "need"

QUOTE]
[Pedantry] Same meaning in dictionary.eg."for want of a nail a shoe was lost,for want of a shoe a horse was lost"etc. [Pedantry/] :p :D

[Pedagog]The feet of certain people living in northern Wales OR the feet of a range of hills south of Cambridge."[Pedagog]

leon-1

Tadpole said:
The two middle knives? are they copies of the Klingon mekleth. I always wondered if they could be used for real? :p

Nope, but if I am not mistaken you may be looking at a couple of variants of the Tom Brown tracker truncheon. Originally designed for bludgeoning any unsuspecting log to death.

jamesraykenney

Forager
Aug 16, 2004
Beaumont, TX
bushwacker bob said:
But if someone came along and offered them a decent modern knife,they would have jumped at the chance of 'better kit'.Just as we all do today!

It depends on whether a decent modern knife would actually be 'better' for what they used it for...

They did not do exactly what we call 'bushcraft' today.
Some were often on the move and did not create a permanent camp...
They would roll out a bedroll to sleep, and use an axe or just break wood for a fire.
They would trap using real traps, not improvised ones...
For MOST of them, this was their LIVING, not their LIFE.
They hunted for food, and their knives reflected that... What better to butcher a animal than a butcher knife?
A modern bushcraft knife is not all that good for butchering... It will WORK, but it is hardly great at it...
It it has a convex grind, it would be a little better, as slicing through meat is one of the convex grinds strong points, but a thick bladed knife will almost never be as good as a thin bladed knife for the purposes that they used them for(unless they were very badly ground...Which they were not...)

jamesraykenney

Forager
Aug 16, 2004
Beaumont, TX
Stuart said:
some people associate having lots of knives with an undesirable personality trait, the reality of it is that a Knife is a tool and the primary tool for our craft.

if you do any hobby or job which requires a particular set of tools, over time you will invariably amass a number of them as your preferences change or you discover a version which accomplishes a particular task better.

on the web I am sure there is a carpentry forum where, right now they are discussing the number of different chisels they own, and in all probability someone has just asked "which chisel is best?" which will evoke a thread just like the one we have here.

<snip>

Which brings up the question... Do any of you carry a chisel with you when you go bushcrafting?
I have a folding woodcarving knife that has one built in... It is a VERY useful knife, though they do need to work on the lock, as it is a bit sub-par for a $100.00 knife... But the blades are GREAT.
Take a look at it HERE.

CarvinJackT.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE